What makes you happy

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

WeeWorld
Initiate

Re: What makes you happy

Post by WeeWorld »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I stated very clearly there is no direct link
Yes but you provided no evidence of any sort direct or indirect, what was the point of it?
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: I stand corrected it was at the 1990 WC - the very same WC where you accuse the Germans - that he won and took two penalties (one against the keeper, one against a defender) by the method I described. He has also admitted using the method it for most of the duration of his career.
Between '86 and '90 Lineker spent most of his time with Barcelona where I'm sure he learned a bit.
But post career, him saying that he was a life-long diver is stretching the bounds of credibilty considering his record when it comes to yellow cards etc.
If what you say is correct, I'd be suspecting that he was doing it for media career advancement reasons.
Clean, good, perfect, boring.
That's if he did say it.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Jackie Brown wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... jp5OmoDYQM

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
ROFL!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

WeeWorld wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: I stand corrected it was at the 1990 WC - the very same WC where you accuse the Germans - that he won and took two penalties (one against the keeper, one against a defender) by the method I described. He has also admitted using the method it for most of the duration of his career.
Between '86 and '90 Lineker spent most of his time with Barcelona where I'm sure he learned a bit.
But post career, him saying that he was a life-long diver is stretching the bounds of credibilty considering his record when it comes to yellow cards etc.
If what you say is correct, I'd be suspecting that he was doing it for media career advancement reasons.
Clean, good, perfect, boring.
That's if he did say it.
Of course, its all the Spaniards' fault! :roll:

Read again what I said he said. He didn't admit to "diving". What he did was admit that what he did wasn't exactly in the spirit of the Laws of Association Football - effectively admitting he was diving but without using the actual words. Read again.

"What he said he did was push the ball past the keeper, then drag his foot so it made contact with the keeper before going down".

He is making contact with the keeper/defender, not the other way around. The only difference between that and what most see as a dive is that contact is made, but without reference to who makes the contact.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Barcelona was probably fairly cosmopolitan, Cruyff was the manager, for example, so not all Spaniards necessarily.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

I remember that it was about that time as well that we started getting football gazzetta italia on C4. It was all very sophisticated compared to English football at the time. We had the "crazy gang" and Vinny Jones , they had the glamour of the new football stadiums for Italia 90 and rock star players like Rossi and Gullit.
Sky money brought all those types of player and facilities to England and changed the game completely including stuff like simulation.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

It's like washing a hanky. :duh: :duh: :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

When I think about the 80s I can only remember four non British imports to the English first division in the whole decade.
Muhren and Thijsson at Ipswich and ardiles and villa at spurs. It was a very British league back then. Arsenal's first team had 6 irish players at one time and both Liverpool and Man Utd had a couple each.
Things started to change in the 90s with the pace accelerating through the decade.
Today it's only at the lower end premier league clubs that you might find an Irish player but most are in lower leagues.
Even English players are struggling to have a decent representation.
If you change the population you change the culture, it's not xenophobic to say that, it's just a simple fact.
Diving wasn't part of the culture of English football but it is now. Hard drinking was and that's largely gone.
And there isn't a place for the likes of a Vinny Jones either for better or worse.
But wendyball has become more wendyish in England without a doubt.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:It's like washing a hanky. :duh: :duh: :duh:
I suspect you'll find the advice is not to wash hankies anymore. :thumleft:

Tis good advice as has become apparent >EW
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Getting back on topic

Nikola Jovanovic made me happy when he came from Montenegro
Arnold Muhren, the dutch footballer made me happy when he scored in the FA Cup final
Jesper Olsen and Johnny Sivebaek the Danish players also made me happy.
Shaun Goater probably not so muchly, but then he was only from Bermuda.

Why did they make me happy?

Because they played for Man Utd in the 1980s.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There could have been diving at the world cup that was hosted in England. I can't remember the year or who won it.

Was not Sky.

Off topic.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Getting back on topic

Arnold Muhren, the dutch footballer made me happy when he scored in the FA Cup final

I don’t believe the Goat ever made the first team, although he become a firm favourite at Maine Road of course.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Getting back on topic

Yes you are right, there were a good few more than four, now I think back. There was a sprinkling of imports around particularly as the decade wore on. Still it was nothing compared to later. Those Dutch and Argentinians I mentioned seem to have been the ground-breakers if I remember rightly.
Certainly there was a big deal made around their arrival.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

What would make me happy would be if certain people would go and join a wendyball forum. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

WeeWorld wrote:When I think about the 80s I can only remember four non British imports to the English first division in the whole decade.
Muhren and Thijsson at Ipswich and ardiles and villa at spurs. It was a very British league back then. Arsenal's first team had 6 irish players at one time and both Liverpool and Man Utd had a couple each.
Things started to change in the 90s with the pace accelerating through the decade.
Today it's only at the lower end premier league clubs that you might find an Irish player but most are in lower leagues.
Even English players are struggling to have a decent representation.
If you change the population you change the culture, it's not xenophobic to say that, it's just a simple fact.
Diving wasn't part of the culture of English football but it is now. Hard drinking was and that's largely gone.
And there isn't a place for the likes of a Vinny Jones either for better or worse.
But wendyball has become more wendyish in England without a doubt.
Forest had the likes of Raimondo Ponte, Einar Aas (how could you forget him?) Johnny Metgod, Osvold, Hans Segers and Hans van Breukelen.

Presumably, Cloughie thought that the idea of a goalie called Hans was quite funny.