Gary Speed

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Gary Speed

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Actually Shan you have no idea just how spot on you are.
Except that I have every idea of how spot on I am. You couldn't write what I wrote without knowledge.
BaggyTrousers wrote:
I am no stranger to depression nor sadly to suicidal thoughts and feelings that my family might be better off without me. Just never had the bottle or perhaps the ultimate certainty that those feelings were valid. Also although I looked a plenty of big trucks and thought, one twist of the wheel is all thats needed, I retained enough wit not to inflict my problems on an innocent.

Its not my favourite topic but I've always felt that if I talk about someone gets an understanding of it then its worth exposing myself albeit there won't be too many reading this that actually know me. There is no physical pain that comes close to mental pain, it is never-ending and completely takes over, demolishing every logical thought process you have that things are not as your brain is "seeing" things. Self-esteem becomes non-existent & eventually if left to fester your ability to see the wood for the trees vanishes. That I suspect is what happened to Gary Speed for it is difficult to seek help.
Absolutely. Mental and phsychological torment is beyond most physical pain, except physical pain which is intense and constant. Sometimes there is no apparent way to deal with it because sometimes it is your own being which is the cause of the suffering. If you have a tumour it can be operated on to remove it. If your entire existence is the cause of the suffering sometimes the only cure is to operate to end that.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Actually Shan you have no idea just how spot on you are.
Except that I have every idea of how spot on I am. You couldn't write what I wrote without knowledge.
Indeed, I should have realised. :salut:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

gannonman wrote:His poor children have to live the rest of their life knowing they weren't enough to keep their dad alive. That crushes me.
Interesting take on it gannonman, never thought of it from that aspect before.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

gannonman wrote:His poor children have to live the rest of their life knowing they weren't enough to keep their dad alive. That crushes me.
With great respect to your views Gannon, I very much doubt that scenario.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

It makes me so angry to read comments on here about how selfish an act this man's suicide is.
If you have such little knowledge about depression you really shouldn't comment in such a way. This man was obviously suffering mentally with some pretty dark demons. People in such a position aren't thinking in any kind of logical manner so the aftermath of their actions won't be a factor in the decision to carry out this final act. Unless you've suffered from mental illness you'll not really know but take it from me it's not as straight forward as some people here think. Depression is a mental illness, it's not just feeling a bit down as many seem to think and without help you cannot simply pull yourself together.
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Leeds fans chant Gary Speed for 11 minutes from the 11th minute at Forest tonight :salut:

MOT :cheers:

PS Leeds 4 up at the minute...
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I see there is a report about a possible connection between Gary Speed's suicide and his being a youngster at a club which had a coach who is now serving time for child abuse. Awful stuff but at least now maybe his family can get some answers.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Shan wrote:I see there is a report about a possible connection between Gary Speed's suicide and his being a youngster at a club which had a coach who is now serving time for child abuse. Awful stuff but at least now maybe his family can get some answers.
I read that also Shan, from a source of repute and not the gutter press.

Gary Speed was one of four men coached by Barry Bennell who went on to take their own lives.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Gannon's right about this, Baggy. Young children can blame themselves for the death of a parent (and for other family tragedies, like divorce) Their wee minds see themselves as the centre of the world and they assume that they must have some responsibility for what happened. Most mature out of it but not always.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Gannon's right about this, Baggy. Young children can blame themselves for the death of a parent (and for other family tragedies, like divorce) Their wee minds see themselves as the centre of the world and they assume that they must have some responsibility for what happened. Most mature out of it but not always.
I hadn't expected to be called on that post 6 years and more later. Solids you may have expertise in the area of children's mental health, I don't, but assuming there is something in the Burnell connection then perhaps Gary Speed's kids will understand that his loss had damn all to do with them, never mind them not "being enough".
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I see the same reports tonight on BBC news.