Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Cricket season

Post by justinr73 »

Well done to a fellow Lancastrian.

Good bloke and a great bowler.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well done indeed, fabulous record for a guy who hasn't been without his troubles, be that injury or form occasionally.

Joining McGrath and Walshe in addition to 3 unbelievable spinners I'd quite some company. Seems like a really good bloke too.

Hats off.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

For a Lionel. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:For a Lionel. :lol:
He is from the North. Not too many "Lionels" in Burnley :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

They are all Lionels to me Merv, a nation of Lionels.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well done indeed, fabulous record for a guy who hasn't been without his troubles, be that injury or form occasionally.

Joining McGrath and Walshe in addition to 3 unbelievable spinners I'd quite some company. Seems like a really good bloke too.

Hats off.
Alec Stewart says he will be the greatest pace bowler in history if he surpasses McGrath :roll:

Better than Malcolm Marshall, Richard Hadlee or McGrath himself? I don't think so.

He's probably not even the best English pace bowler in history. Best of the last half century certainly, but them as saw 'im would probably give that accolade to Fiery Fred.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Well done indeed, fabulous record for a guy who hasn't been without his troubles, be that injury or form occasionally.

Hats off.
Alec Stewart says he will be the greatest pace bowler in history if he surpasses McGrath :roll:

Better than Malcolm Marshall, Richard Hadlee or McGrath himself? I don't think so.

He's probably not even the best English pace bowler in history. Best of the last half century certainly, but them as saw 'im would probably give that accolade to Fiery Fred.
It's a bit like comparing international rugby of the amateur era to now, players then played maybe a dozen years to get 50 caps, now they can rack that up in 5 years or so.

If you look at wickets taken per test, F S Truman took 4.58 on avarage, G D McGrath 4.54 & Anderson 3.33. I T Botham is higher ranked with 3.75 & considering his batting exploits, he stands pretty high in my opinion.

Anderson is a good player but then also factor in some of the weak as water test teams these days.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Hats off.

It's a bit like comparing international rugby of the amateur era to now, players then played maybe a dozen years to get 50 caps, now they can rack that up in 5 years or so.

If you look at wickets taken per test, F S Truman took 4.58 on avarage, G D McGrath 4.54 & Anderson 3.33. I T Botham is higher ranked with 3.75 & considering his batting exploits, he stands pretty high in my opinion.

Anderson is a good player but then also factor in some of the weak as water test teams these days.
Your maths is a bit off there. Jimmy has 506 wkts in 128 tests which works out at 3.95 per test. Not too shabby but your point still holds. In Anderson's defence modern cricket conditions certainly favour the batsman much more than in Fred's day which makes that comparison even more problematic.

Just realised that Jimmy recorded his best ever test and first class figures with 7/42. Quite remarkable given the circumstances.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Hats off.

Your maths is a bit off there. Jimmy has 506 wkts in 128 tests which works out at 3.95 per test. Not too shabby but your point still holds. In Anderson's defence modern cricket conditions certainly favour the batsman much more than in Fred's day which makes that comparison even more problematic.

Just realised that Jimmy recorded his best ever test and first class figures with 7/42. Quite remarkable given the circumstances.
You mean the ball moving 6 feet in the air for 3 consecutive days?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

The conditions for batting were considerably better today.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Whatever your opinion of his ranking compared to others of yesteryear, he is once again OFFICIALLY the current best Test bowler in the world. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Kevin O'Brien and the rest of the Irish TEST cricket squad

>appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Kevin O'Brien and the rest of the Irish TEST cricket squad

>appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl
Great effort so far.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Kevin o’brien is the man for the big occasion. I am sure there are others who are technically better, but that was an innings of real character today. At the very least Ireland have respectability out of this game for the way they bowled and their 2nd innings batting. Getting over 300 is a good effort.

Even if we get another 30 or 40 unfortunately we do not have the bowlers to win it for us. Big Boyd Rankin and Murtagh could do a decent job but there rest would not be able to finish the job off.

Anyway, well done Kevin and the boys in the lower order who gave you such great support.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Australia are the only team that have won their first test.

Zimbabwe are the only other side to avoid defeat.

For Ireland to have an outside chance of victory on Day 5 is a fine effort.
Big Neville Southall