Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Cricket season

Post by big mervyn »

Gary wrote:Cap'n, he said that not too many test captains have been able to maintain their batting. Just pointing out that England's last 6 captains have similar or better batting records during their time in charge as they had before.
Vaughan averaged over 50 before he got the captaincy and 36 during his tenure.
Not sure about the others. Strauss and Gooch did pretty well but I think Athers struggled with the bat for long periods as skipper.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Gary wrote:Cap'n, he said that not too many test captains have been able to maintain their batting. Just pointing out that England's last 6 captains have similar or better batting records during their time in charge as they had before.
Gary, since when did we go by facts on this forum? :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I assume the Ashes have been won, I left them in decent shape?.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Gary, since when did we go by facts on this forum? :D
Vaughan's batting record declined sharply towards the end of his term after he suffered a severe knee injury which eventually ended his career. He made the common mistake made by sportsmen of trying to carry on when everyone else knew he should pack it in. He still remains one of England's best test captains as far as I'm concerned. (Honestly. it's not just because I met him last week - decent bloke!!! But, as for that Boycott chap... :shock: )
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I was reading another interesting article yesterday following Root's (average to date: 56.58) elevation to No. 1 in the test batting rankings.

It highlighted the fact that since 1968 no England player has retired with a batting average over 50 or a bowling average under 25. 43 other players around the globe have achieved that feat.

Furthermore only 4 batsmen and 2 bowlers have reached No 1 - Gower, Gooch, Vaughan and Root; Botham and ... I bet you can't guess the other one without looking it up.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Furthermore only 4 batsmen and 2 bowlers have reached No 1 - Gower, Gooch, Vaughan and Root; Botham and ... I bet you can't guess the other one without looking it up.
I assume you mean ENGLISH players (sorry - players of any nationality who have played for England ..... and wales)?

Since we're guessing, i would have a stab at Harmie or Boring Bob Willis, but probably way out with both! (I'm assuming Jimmy A is not the answer as one might be expected to guess him?)
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Furthermore only 4 batsmen and 2 bowlers have reached No 1 - Gower, Gooch, Vaughan and Root; Botham and ... I bet you can't guess the other one without looking it up.
I assume you mean ENGLISH players (sorry - players of any nationality who have played for England ..... and wales)?

Since we're guessing, i would have a stab at Harmie or Boring Bob Willis, but probably way out with both! (I'm assuming Jimmy A is not the answer as one might be expected to guess him?)
Full marks Grumpy. Harmison it was. Sadly he tends to be remembered for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Y6T44tzIc
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Without looking at the link, I'm guessing (again) that it is a video of a certain first ball W - I - D - E ? :lol:

EDIT: - and on watching the link, I was right! :D ....... again

At least he is able to laugh at that now.
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Crap Ashes series, barely a contest amongst them.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Once a Knight wrote:5 hammerings, series 3-2, and not even a close game in it.
Wouldn't expect any close games when there were 5 hammerings! :duck:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Two rubbish teams by normal standards, not a hint of fight from either team.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Two rubbish teams by normal standards, not a hint of fight from either team.
Australia can bat on a decent track.
England can bowl when it's seaming and swinging.
Not one decent contest between bat and ball all summer.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

English batsmen scored 2209 runs at 27.27.
Australia scored 2401 at 30.01

English bowlers took 80 wickets at 30.3
Australia took 80 wickets at 27.04.

So much for statistics.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Looks like the future coverage of the Ashes might be about to descend to the level of the play!

S'pose one could watch the TV pixtures with sound on mute and listen to TMS?

INCOMING from Baggy!
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Looks like the future coverage of the Ashes might be about to descend to the level of the play!

S'pose one could watch the TV pixtures with sound on mute and listen to TMS?

INCOMING from Baggy!
Dear Boy, fortunately by the time that kicks in I shall hopefully be living far away, where getting BT Sport will not be a concern, I'll be too busy making my mark in the high-end of the Olive Oil, Giant Olives to the Madrid restaurant market & Toasted Almond Businesses, all products to be branded & registered to "Casa Baggy Padre y Hijos, Gran Reserva"

I do feel sorry for the genuine cricket lover and will worry that they may simply bring in their rugby panel of oaves to make a balls of what has been a genuine national treasure for decades................ even under SKY.

Finally........... well for now anyway ............... I have resolved that BTSport will see none of my meagre stipend, despite Plusnet bombarding me with offers. If that means missing games played by either of my preferred teams, so be it. A plague on their BTy house. >threaten

Anyway they have a bloody nerve, my forefathers were BTs long before BT ever was a glint in a politician's eye. We Trousers go back a long way, I'd sue their corporate ass but their access to high rent ambulance chasers outstrips my own, a meagre stipend will only stretch so far. Justice for the individual is impossible in this country, Thatcher saw to that when she browbeat & "owned" the judiciary .............. the manky ould decomposing bitch.