Registered users: AhrefsBot, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Samstew, SemrushBot

Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 656109
Total topics 19105
Total members 2927
Our newest member Bullneck

Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

• Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • Not rated

Re: Cricket season

Postby justinr73 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Well done to a fellow Lancastrian.

Good bloke and a great bowler.
justinr73
Warrior Assassin

Postby BaggyTrousers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Well done indeed, fabulous record for a guy who hasn't been without his troubles, be that injury or form occasionally.

Joining McGrath and Walshe in addition to 3 unbelievable spinners I'd quite some company. Seems like a really good bloke too.

Hats off.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby BaggyTrousers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:17 pm

For a Lionel. :lol:

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby big mervyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:19 am

BaggyTrousers wrote:For a Lionel. :lol:

He is from the North. Not too many "Lionels" in Burnley :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Postby BaggyTrousers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:57 am

They are all Lionels to me Merv, a nation of Lionels.

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby big mervyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:35 pm

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well done indeed, fabulous record for a guy who hasn't been without his troubles, be that injury or form occasionally.

Joining McGrath and Walshe in addition to 3 unbelievable spinners I'd quite some company. Seems like a really good bloke too.

Hats off.

Alec Stewart says he will be the greatest pace bowler in history if he surpasses McGrath :roll:

Better than Malcolm Marshall, Richard Hadlee or McGrath himself? I don't think so.

He's probably not even the best English pace bowler in history. Best of the last half century certainly, but them as saw 'im would probably give that accolade to Fiery Fred.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby BaggyTrousers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:40 pm

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Well done indeed, fabulous record for a guy who hasn't been without his troubles, be that injury or form occasionally.

Hats off.

Alec Stewart says he will be the greatest pace bowler in history if he surpasses McGrath :roll:

Better than Malcolm Marshall, Richard Hadlee or McGrath himself? I don't think so.

He's probably not even the best English pace bowler in history. Best of the last half century certainly, but them as saw 'im would probably give that accolade to Fiery Fred.

It's a bit like comparing international rugby of the amateur era to now, players then played maybe a dozen years to get 50 caps, now they can rack that up in 5 years or so.

If you look at wickets taken per test, F S Truman took 4.58 on avarage, G D McGrath 4.54 & Anderson 3.33. I T Botham is higher ranked with 3.75 & considering his batting exploits, he stands pretty high in my opinion.

Anderson is a good player but then also factor in some of the weak as water test teams these days.

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby big mervyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:08 pm

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Hats off.

It's a bit like comparing international rugby of the amateur era to now, players then played maybe a dozen years to get 50 caps, now they can rack that up in 5 years or so.

If you look at wickets taken per test, F S Truman took 4.58 on avarage, G D McGrath 4.54 & Anderson 3.33. I T Botham is higher ranked with 3.75 & considering his batting exploits, he stands pretty high in my opinion.

Anderson is a good player but then also factor in some of the weak as water test teams these days.

Your maths is a bit off there. Jimmy has 506 wkts in 128 tests which works out at 3.95 per test. Not too shabby but your point still holds. In Anderson's defence modern cricket conditions certainly favour the batsman much more than in Fred's day which makes that comparison even more problematic.

Just realised that Jimmy recorded his best ever test and first class figures with 7/42. Quite remarkable given the circumstances.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:24 pm

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Hats off.

Your maths is a bit off there. Jimmy has 506 wkts in 128 tests which works out at 3.95 per test. Not too shabby but your point still holds. In Anderson's defence modern cricket conditions certainly favour the batsman much more than in Fred's day which makes that comparison even more problematic.

Just realised that Jimmy recorded his best ever test and first class figures with 7/42. Quite remarkable given the circumstances.
You mean the ball moving 6 feet in the air for 3 consecutive days?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby big mervyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:40 pm

The conditions for batting were considerably better today.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby Cap'n Grumpy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Whatever your opinion of his ranking compared to others of yesteryear, he is once again OFFICIALLY the current best Test bowler in the world. :thumleft:
No plan survives the first contact with the enemy!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Postby Cap'n Grumpy » Mon May 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Kevin O'Brien and the rest of the Irish TEST cricket squad

>appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl
No plan survives the first contact with the enemy!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Postby big mervyn » Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Kevin O'Brien and the rest of the Irish TEST cricket squad

>appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl

Great effort so far.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Postby Bart S » Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 am

Kevin o’brien is the man for the big occasion. I am sure there are others who are technically better, but that was an innings of real character today. At the very least Ireland have respectability out of this game for the way they bowled and their 2nd innings batting. Getting over 300 is a good effort.

Even if we get another 30 or 40 unfortunately we do not have the bowlers to win it for us. Big Boyd Rankin and Murtagh could do a decent job but there rest would not be able to finish the job off.

Anyway, well done Kevin and the boys in the lower order who gave you such great support.
Bart S
Chancellor to the King

Postby big mervyn » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 am

Australia are the only team that have won their first test.

Zimbabwe are the only other side to avoid defeat.

For Ireland to have an outside chance of victory on Day 5 is a fine effort.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to The Back Room 'Lock In'