ASK THE EXPERT

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: ASK THE EXPERT

Post by Shan »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
Shan - you, as a man from Limerick will tend to do, went for the "chock a fookin petral bamb at the gobshaote" approach. While technically you may not have broken any rules, I struggle to see how you will avoid destroying the stick, while the goal was simply to make it shorter. A side-effect commonly associated with the use of flammable fuel, and fire, when simply trying to tidy things up a bit...
Well you did say you couldn't cut it so that ruled out my trusty old knife. Next to knifing things, setting fire to things is the best fun.....

Now ramming a steel tipped and lighted stick up some gowlbag's hole is Limerick heaven....Just for the avoidance of any doubt this heaven does exist. Of course it is hell for the victim.

>TH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Kofi Annan wrote:If a holy angel was tempted to sin by surrounding evil, is heaven a holy place?
Depends on your defintion of Holy. Assuming you are using "devotion to God" as the definition for an individual one could question if indeed an angel could be considered truly holy if he was open to removing this devotion.

On the other hand a place could probably retain claims of holiness despite housing potential non-holy individuals I would have thought provided the place itself cleanses itself of those who fall short of the required standards.

Now though if your question had been "is heaven a perfect place" the answer undoubtedly would be significantly different.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Simple, easy peasy lemon squeezy. This situation is mere fantasy - there is no heaven, there are no angels in the sense recognised by mentalist imaginings.
If you discover you were wrong after you die and there is a heaven, what would you then be prepared to do to try and weasel your way in?

>TH
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Is it possible to see insanity then later see creativity?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Simple, easy peasy lemon squeezy. This situation is mere fantasy - there is no heaven, there are no angels in the sense recognised by mentalist imaginings.
If you discover you were wrong after you die and there is a heaven, what would you then be prepared to do to try and weasel your way in?

>TH
Don't know how many times I must say that I refuse to deal in fantasy but Shan since its yourself & you are just a week and a few days away from disappointment at the hands of Ulster I will play the game.

In that odd eventuality I would take it on the chin but before asking to go to hell where my mates are I would tell the big lad that for an omnipotent deity he is a bit of a feck up and it's no wonder fewer & fewer believe in him.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

Don't know how many times I must say that I refuse to deal in fantasy but Shan since its yourself & you are just a week and a few days away from disappointment at the hands of Ulster I will play the game.

In that odd eventuality I would take it on the chin but before asking to go to hell where my mates are I would tell the big lad that for an omnipotent deity he is a bit of a feck and it's no wonder fewer & fewer believe in him.
Baggy,

Just wanted to see if you'd be accepting of the inevitable in the unlikely event of the fantasy becoming reality. I'll say you've passed with flying colours on this occasion. Of course typing shíte is as easy as worshipping deities, whether real or not, so there ya go.

>TH

Now I would really rather if you were playing the game(the real one) on Easter Sunday. It would certainly help to swing things in my favour. I suppose that type of miracle is a bit mad even for a day such as Easter.

:D :D
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Right so Shan :thumright:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Mummer
Novice

Post by Mummer »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Mummer wrote:Is life like a box of chocolates?
The easy response would to simply say no, ya mad ballix & move right along the bus pal, however the truth of the matter is that in some ways life is indeed like a certain box of chocolates which I refuse to advertise but contains the famed "hazelnut cluster".

Like the hazelnut cluster, few lives run without a fair sprinkling of the stuff that falls from yer jaxsie. Fairer then to say that life resembles an army assault course-like attempt to make inexorable progress whilst avoiding massive piles of hazelnut clusters.

MUMMER, YOU'VE BEEN HELPED.
:angel:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

breakdown wrote:Is it possible to see insanity then later see creativity?
Breakdown, 1st as a stickler for accuracy, it is impossible to see insanity but you may observe the manifestation of its resulting behaviours.

Now that said you deserve better than that and here it is. It will probably come as a shock but from time to time I have peered over the brink, teetered on the borderline between the sane and insane and feel well placed to comment. My experience tells me that many people of extraordinary abilities are not always the type of people you would describe as ordinary indeed many would show signs of unstable behaviour.

I believe the occurrence of idiosyncratic behaviour in considerable numbers of people who are regarded as highly talented could be argued to demonstrate that many unusually talented people find their creativity in degrees of what some would describe as a level of insanity though I would describe it more in terms of a highly individual view of the world and a disregard for conventional behaviour for its own sake.

Not definitive I'll grant you but.............

You been helped.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Bagster, I find myself somewhat perplexed by this conundrum. Hope you can help.
Is it better to do the right thing or do the thing right? I’m at a loss
Clearly they are two different things Snipe. It's better to do the right thing that is much better than doing the "wrong" thing but doing it right.
Now you are just getting confused :duh: , so its over to the resident expert.

The thing about doing the wrong thing is that by strict definition it can never be right. This whilst entirely reasonable to state I feel it doesn't get to the heart of what I think Snipe is after.

I'm assuming Snipe as a mentalist and all-round decent chap is posing this in terms of a moral dilemma so let me give you an example of where doing the wrong think could be seen as morally right.
You are in a night club with a mate who sadly when God was handing out looks was off sick that day and ended up getting a damn good thrashing with the ugly stick.

On the dance floor he espies the very model of a strikingly hot bitch, a superb vision of female pulchritude, a classic of its type. Thinking he may fancy some of that he nudges Snipe in the ribs and with his tongue hanging out
hubbahubba.gif
he says, "Snipe, she has pulled, watch this mate."
Now it falls to Snipe to do either the wrong thing for the right reason or right thing for the wrong reasons and here is Snipe's moral dilemma. The right thing to do is to tell his mate that he is an ugly barsteward and the girl is out of his league by several divisions & a country mile however in all likelihood this is actually a wrong thing for the right reason and will save his mate a shitload of embarrassment.

This however is going to shatter his mate & perhaps ruin a longstanding relationship but the alternative, the right thing is to say "go for it mate, she's tasty & looks up for it" & watch the car crash as his mate withers and dies under the cruel sharp tongue this butterfly will use to lash away the last ounce of self-respect he possesses. She won't remember when she was a slithering wriggling caterpillar, no this one will operate on looks alone in all likelihood, oh and perhaps the telltale bulge in the trousers which indicates............ a fat wallet. This option is clearly something that will make Snipe a coward and he has taken the easy way out & in time he will realise he has done this "right thing" this apparently supportive thing, for entirely the wrong reason.

There you go Snipe, YOU HAVE BEEN HELPED. Always do the right thing whether its right or wrong and that is predicated on the circumstances which decides whether the action is right or wrong. Right?

Just think of it like putting a dog out of its misery, killing it will feel wrong but the action is doing the right thing.

OK buddy, you're sorted, go forth and practice.
Thanks Bagster, you’re insight is extraordinary. You have plucked me from the horns of the dilemma that was disturbing my sleep ................ think I will have to gently explain to him that he is actually a repulsive gargoyle.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Any time Snipe, rest assured you're doing the ghastly gargoyle a favour. :lol:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
breakdown wrote:Is it possible to see insanity then later see creativity?
Breakdown, 1st as a stickler for accuracy, it is impossible to see insanity but you may observe the manifestation of its resulting behaviours.

Now that said you deserve better than that and here it is. It will probably come as a shock but from time to time I have peered over the brink, teetered on the borderline between the sane and insane and feel well placed to comment. My experience tells me that many people of extraordinary abilities are not always the type of people you would describe as ordinary indeed many would show signs of unstable behaviour.

I believe the occurrence of idiosyncratic behaviour in considerable numbers of people who are regarded as highly talented could be argued to demonstrate that many unusually talented people find their creativity in degrees of what some would describe as a level of insanity though I would describe it more in terms of a highly individual view of the world and a disregard for conventional behaviour for its own sake.

Not definitive I'll grant you but.............

You been helped.
Thanks Baggy. I have been helped.

Here's another one:

What's the best advice you can give someone with no motivation regareding education?
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

breakdown wrote:What's the best advice you can give someone with no motivation regareding education?
Become a moderator on a rugby fan's forum :duck: :duck:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Thought so :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

brianc wrote:
breakdown wrote:What's the best advice you can give someone with no motivation regareding education?
Become a moderator on a rugby fan's forum :duck: :duck:
Splendid attempt Brian but I must go back to basics here.

Now young man, Yet again a subject close to my heart, I was semi-intelligent but lacking greatly in motivation and with a tendency which has been a life-long affliction of being bone idle in respect of all things that don't "light my fire". Give me a sniff of interest in a subject and I dive in otherwise forget it.

First things first & I can't help but wonder did you throw it in deliberately, the spelling mistake of course. Many say it doesn't matter these days, what with spellcheckers and predictive text but that is ballix. For most worthwhile jobs education is teh passport to decent remuneration, decent remuneration is the key for most to a tolerable life.

All well and good but here is the clincher, if you are happy to spend your life being told what to do by some half-witted dipshit without a 2nd braincell to keep his/her only one company then go ahead, forget education, say feck it to the future. Otherwise get your Brennan in gear, get educated, grab whatever qualifications you can because those bits of paper have a ridiculous value placed upon them. Many employers will forego the evidence of their own eyes & ears when interviewing prospective employees and pass over the obvious candidate in favour of the more impressive bits of paper.

YOU HAVE DEFINITELY BEEN HELPED - USE IT FFS. :wink: