A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

WeeWorld
Initiate

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by WeeWorld »

I think I got something wrong above
The Backstop is now the "temporary" no-deal Brexit deal
should be:
The Backstop is now the "temporary" Brexit deal
ie the Transition deal until a final deal is hammered out, a year or two later (or never).

No-Deal then means the UK crashes out of the EU next March and Teresa May's letter seems to be threatening the DUP with the very thing they don't want, an Irish Sea border.
Given that the DUP don't want an election either it looks like a smart play by Teresa May to force them on-side.

Between this and the way she's made understanding the backstop almost impossible, you'd have to admire her.
She really is what Ken Clarke called her, a bloody difficult woman. :lol:
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WeeWorld wrote:I think I got something wrong above
should be:
ie the Transition deal until a final deal is hammered out, a year or two later (or never).

No-Deal then means the UK crashes out of the EU next March and Teresa May's letter seems to be threatening the DUP with the very thing they don't want, an Irish Sea border.
Given that the DUP don't want an election either it looks like a smart play by Teresa May to force them on-side.

Between this and the way she's made understanding the backstop almost impossible, you'd have to admire her.
She really is what Ken Clarke called her, a bloody difficult woman. Image
WeeWorld wrote:I think I got something wrong above
should be:

She really is what Ken Clarke called her, a bloody difficult woman. Image
The backstop is simple, May wants a time limit on it but as Varadkar said it can't have a time limit and he is just quoting Sabine Weyand who is Barniers deputy and far more bloody crooked than May ever will be.
Her aim is to do everything she can to mess up Brexit or if UK goes they suffer as to give in will be seen as a sign for other members to perhaps start making threats to break up the EU, put her in a room with Mays cabinet and she will have them beaten on every point they bring up, any wonder Davis got out and Raab has not got the chance to run yet
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Watche QT the night. That Gimli's an angry wee fecker.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

From The Times April 22, 1919

To the Editor of The Times

Sir,

Will you give some space to one of the few Irish Protestants of the landowning class who has looked the Irish problem in the face from the close quarters of an Irish county council and come in contact with its backwash in the United States? As I have served in the Army since the first month of this war, in which my sons have been killed or wounded, I may claim to be regarded as a loyalist. My experience leads me to the conclusion that, had Home Rule come to the birth during the first decade of this century, without opposition from the North, the change in our daily life would have been so infinitesimal that old ladies who do not read the papers would hardly have noticed it. The hopes of the ardent Nationalist, the fears of the timorous Unionist, would have been equally disappointed. It was the negation of Home Rule which has changed Ireland. The triumphant Covenanter of the North, with his arms, landings, defiance of constituted authority, appeals to force, etc, galvanized into life spectres of almost forgotten religious persecutions, expropriations, penal laws, and animosities in the Roman Catholic South. Ireland has fallen backwards into the Middle Ages because English politicians dangled Home Rule before Irish eyes and then allowed an hereditary enemy to snatch it away. The cost of the transaction has been appalling; an Empire has been half-ruined to save a parish from an imaginary danger.

The cure demands a sacrifice of English pride. English politicians must cease talking about Ireland as if she were a sullen child standing in the corner. They must talk to her direct. Suppose England put her pride in her pocket, and said: “We propose that you shall have a national Government within the Empire. Elect members to an Irish Parliament, whose first act will be the negotiation of a treaty with the English Parliament. When we have negotiated this treaty you will found upon it a Constitution. You will have our cooperation.” Faced with such a responsibility, I believe that the Irish elector would hesitate to choose irreconcilable extremists and a spirit of moderation would prevail.

Yours faithfully

Gerald Villiers-Stuart

Cappoquin, Co Waterford
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Local Election results coming in. Looking reasonably good for Alliance so may consider opening a bottle of fizzy stuff tonight.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Local Election results coming in. Looking reasonably good for Alliance so may consider opening a bottle of fizzy stuff tonight.
Aliance/Green vote does seem to mirror the LD/Green vote in GB albeit on a smaller scale.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Unfortunately. Still too many voting orange and green.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Setanta wrote:Unfortunately. Still too many voting orange and green.

True, but at this stage I'd settle for a shift to light green and pale orange. Can't see it happening though.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

pwrmoore wrote:

True, but at this stage I'd settle for a shift to light green and pale orange. Can't see it happening though.
The best you can hope for neither of them to have an overall majority.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Guide to voting C/O The Ulster Fry - The poor man's Portadown News

How do I vote?
Council elections use the STV method, which stands for Same Traditional Vote, rather than the First to pi$h up the Post method used in Westminster elections. You vote for candidates in order of preference, stopping when you find one with colours you don’t like on their election poster.

Will I need to bring my ID?
Yes, you will. Unless you’re dead, then you’ll need someone else’s ID.

Who stands for these elections?
There are three main types of candidate – people who used to be MLAs, people who want to be MLAs, and people who even their own party thinks are too stupid to be allowed to be MLAs. They can see pictures of them on lamp posts at the moment, grinning or gurning down at you like extras from the Walking Dead.

What parties are running?
All the usual suspects, plus a clatter of independents. You can tell the independents from the rest because the photo on their poster looks like it was taken by their ma on an old Polaroid. There’s also a new party called Aontú, which is really, really against abortion. It’s the “only party that will defend right to life,” says its leader, who used to be a Sinn Féin TD, when he appeared to have had no bother being in a party linked to an organisation that ended quite a few lives.

What do our councils do?
If you believe many of the candidates, local councils are in charge of Brexit, immigration, nuclear weapons and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In reality they’re in charge of bins, burials and bonfires.

How much do councillors get paid?
They get an allowance of £15,000 a year, plus more if they get to be mayor. This is why they all get a turn at being mayor, even the ones who can’t spell their own names. They also get expenses, mostly to drive to and from council meetings and attend important conferences in Venezuela about Brexit, immigration, nuclear weapons and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Who should I vote for?
The best thing to do is read all the manifestos carefully and draw up a list of policies you agree or disagree with for each party. Then vote the same way as last time.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Excelket piece of work from the Fry there.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Unonist parties are down about 25 seats and Alliance/Greens are up by about 20 which suggests that unionist Remainers have drifted to the centre.

No significant change in nationalist seats
Big Neville Southall
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

How the 1st preferences have moved around.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Seems in my ward of our divided city (which includes Ravers) we've still got 2 Alliance 2 Duppers and a Stoop but Chris McGimpsey has been ousted by a Green. Tad ironic because McGimpsey increasingly resembles a tofu eating sandal wearing old crusty these days :lol:
Big Neville Southall