A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:I don't normally get involved in or follow politics but this boils my pish. Is she the dumbest feck head in history or am I missing the point?

Is the proposal not a cake and eat it scenario for ourselves?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 72643.html
No, she's doing exactly what her support base want her to do. That is, avoid any possible hint of daylight between the status of Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Maintenance of the sanctity of the union overrides any, potentially massive, economic benefits that could accrue from a special NI deal.
Like Americans who support Trump, they don't think about or can't understand the pragmatic choices or opportunities. Average voters aren't logical, they are tribal ideologues and vote with their gut, not their heads.
Knowing nothing about international trade or politics... surely NI as a special 'free trade'( or something like that) zone could make us a fortune. I believe you're right, Snipe, too many vote with their bigoted and fear-riddled or hope-deluded gut. The Duppers fear that it's a step towards a united Ireland and the Shinners think it's not enough to be worthwhile.. It's an opportunity of a lifetime, or am I missing something very obvious?
For someone who claims to know nothing you appear to know more than most and you're missing nothing. NI could become a goldmine instead of a financial black hole.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Trust Snipe Solids, he's talked a certain amount of balleeks about BRexit, but on this he is spot on.

Only fücking Ulster Pradasint Thickoes could fail to appreciate a gilt-edged opportunity.

But if course it's no surprise when we see the sort of slackjawed wånkstain who matches with pride with his wee dumbassed colorette behind a kick the Pope band.

feck my BP has plummeted since I left that shitehole.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I would say we are royally fecked. We have seen the need for the EU this week with Trump trying to bully everyone over steel tariffs. You need a 500 million strong trade union to stand up to him. Don't worry, the strong and stable brains trust at tory HQ will come up with the deal of the century.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

If only because my meagre pension is paid in the pound note, I hope the UK thrives...............but Christ, it's bloody hard to see it at present. Labour apparently are Jew haters, the Tories Islamophobic and neither party appears to have anyone remotely gifted in economics.

I can tell you I am mingling in my local community with huge numbers of Muslims, not once has any one of them threatened to slit my gizzard, or questioned whether they could send me to the local Dia supermercado and expect me to bring the right change.

I do hope that sterling thrives, I could be doing with an extra few hundred euros every month. My new (when I say new, I mean new to me) car is guzzling a little more than expected. I predicted that sterling would settle between 1.15 & 1.20 euros but it's been a tad lower to my chagrin.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
solidarity wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:I don't normally get involved in or follow politics but this boils my pish. Is she the dumbest feck head in history or am I missing the point?

No, she's doing exactly what her support base want her to do. That is, avoid any possible hint of daylight between the status of Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Maintenance of the sanctity of the union overrides any, potentially massive, economic benefits that could accrue from a special NI deal.
Like Americans who support Trump, they don't think about or can't understand the pragmatic choices or opportunities. Average voters aren't logical, they are tribal ideologues and vote with their gut, not their heads.
Knowing nothing about international trade or politics... surely NI as a special 'free trade'( or something like that) zone could make us a fortune. I believe you're right, Snipe, too many vote with their bigoted and fear-riddled or hope-deluded gut. The Duppers fear that it's a step towards a united Ireland and the Shinners think it's not enough to be worthwhile.. It's an opportunity of a lifetime, or am I missing something very obvious?
For someone who claims to know nothing you appear to know more than most and you're missing nothing. NI could become a goldmine instead of a financial black hole.
Would it be far off the mark to say it could turn into the Singapore of the Northern Hemisphere Snipe?
Potential for financial markets to operate in 2 systems and major trading post between rest of the world and UK.

Well at least there would be a wee bit of cross border trade done one way or another.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I wonder if it was put to a vote, special status and 'money to burn' v stay where we are, how would it go? My instinct is that we'd go for prosperity, better NHS, better education etc etc, but, then again, we do have form!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
solidarity wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Would it be far off the mark to say it could turn into the Singapore of the Northern Hemisphere Snipe?
Potential for financial markets to operate in 2 systems and major trading post between rest of the world and UK.

Well at least there would be a wee bit of cross border trade done one way or another.
I thought about using Singapore or Hong Kong, but neither quite fitted. A bit of creative thinking is required, but neither the DUP nor the shinners have the vision to push the open door and neither the UUP nor SDLP have the clout even if they had the vision. We have the political structure and economic stagnation we deserve. Our politicians are so blinkered it's an absolute travesty, biting off their nose to spite their face at every opportunity. There are people here that could drive it forward, but no political will.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote:I wonder if it was put to a vote, special status and 'money to burn' v stay where we are, how would it go? My instinct is that we'd go for prosperity, better NHS, better education etc etc, but, then again, we do have form!
We'd be inundated with feckin foreigners. There'd be Leinster men as far as the eye could see; all sorts of blow-ins.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Thank feck I asked the question, I thought I was losing the plot and in a minority.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:I wonder if it was put to a vote, special status and 'money to burn' v stay where we are, how would it go? My instinct is that we'd go for prosperity, better NHS, better education etc etc, but, then again, we do have form!
DUPers are good at burning money, ask Mrs Fascist.

#heatyerholewithArlenescoal
#warmyerasswithArlenesgas
#don'tbepoorandliveongruelgetrichquickbyburningArlenesfuel
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
solidarity wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: No, she's doing exactly what her support base want her to do. That is, avoid any possible hint of daylight between the status of Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Maintenance of the sanctity of the union overrides any, potentially massive, economic benefits that could accrue from a special NI deal.

I thought about using Singapore or Hong Kong, but neither quite fitted. A bit of creative thinking is required, but neither the DUP nor the shinners have the vision to push the open door and neither the UUP nor SDLP have the clout even if they had the vision. We have the political structure and economic stagnation we deserve. Our politicians are so blinkered it's an absolute travesty, biting off their nose to spite their face at every opportunity. There are people here that could drive it forward, but no political will.
Hong Kong pre handover was the nearest to the situation I could think of, major trading post between China and the rest of the world, British in government but on borrowed time from China, that analogy alone is enough to scare the crap out of any DUP voter. Also they did make a lot of goods themselves but also worked as a back door trading post between East and West. In a way though now it is similar in that the original Hong Kong citizens hate their new leaders so would be like a United Ireland by force rather than consensus.
Singapore is really independent and just works as trade and financial centre , the one thing that would really stop you using it as a model for an independent UK is the fact it is not a welfare state and you either work or feck off, or starve, so I suppose that was a bad one to pick.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I see Darren Cave is taking a stand against the DUP. Discuss...
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Link
Polly Cotton
Novice

Post by Polly Cotton »

People of Northern Ireland, be careful what you wish for. I've heard from a reliable source that these abortions aren't as much fun as they're cracked up to be. Try contraception instead. Much less hassle.
Anyway it is marching season soon. Shouldn't you be putting your energy into practising for the annual rock throwing tournament?
You may know my sister, Dot
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

damianmcr wrote:Link