The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

WeeWorld
Initiate

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by WeeWorld »

BR wrote: Aye, but sure they're the ones who'd be miserable if they had to actually think for themselves.
Not many really think about this stuff.
People who don't believe in a god are just accepting one of the common beliefs of this time and place.
We are living in what's been called the Age of Doubt which had its beginnings in the 19th century and you might say has gradually taken over our part of the world.
No more credit is due to followers of this belief than to followers of religions in other times/places.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

WeeWorld wrote:
BR wrote: Aye, but sure they're the ones who'd be miserable if they had to actually think for themselves.
People who don't believe in a god are just accepting one of the common beliefs of this time and place.
We are living in what's been called the Age of Doubt which had its beginnings in the 19th century and you might say has gradually taken over our part of the world.
No more credit is due to followers of this belief than to followers of religions in other times/places.
Not sure the 19th Century holds true for this particular place!

I'd say most dissenters in Ulster were cutting a lonely furrow as recently as the 1980s and had plenty of opportunity to think about 'this stuff'.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

BR wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:

I'd say most dissenters in Ulster were cutting a lonely furrow as recently as the 1980s and had plenty of opportunity to think about 'this stuff'.
I'd say most of us believed when we were kids.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

After 67 pages of this guff, I'm beginning to think that Snipe was right! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:After 67 pages of this guff, I'm beginning to think that Snipe was right! :shock:
Any chance of a tl,dr?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

WeeWorld wrote:
BR wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:

I'd say most of us believed when we were kids.
Utter infantile guff.

Most kids believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy too, you waste of skin, bone & sundry tissue.

By your theory, people who don't believe in Santa are simply adopting a different belief. :duh: :duh: :duh: Try to understand that if you believe in anything or don't believe in a particular subject, you must have a different belief, but to understand, you must think of "belief" in this instance as ........let's say, "scientific theory" compared to your fu'cking crackpot bullshit.

Capiche?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My big gay son is enraged.

Not that the Supreme Court finds in favour of Ashers, no his ire is the couple of daft ballixes who trivialise much more serious issues such as equal rights to housing, jobs, marriage etc over a stunt with a friggin' cake.

He agrees with the judgement, he does not believe that Ashers had any obligation to make the cake.

Simply reporting this, my own opinion is that albeit it is described as their right, I have no question or doubt in my mind that discrimination was at play here. Their decision not to make the cake, having accepted the order and payment for the friggin' cake, for me involves both crackpot religious beliefs as well I suspect of being card-carrying DUPers and therefore by definition anti-gay.

I hope they perish in an unfortunate fire.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

All heat and no light as usual Baggy
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

WeeWorld wrote:
Critical thought, in my view, has evolved through the rejection of 'belief' as an acceptable means of acquiring knowledge. The emergence of the scientific method has set this century and the last apart from previous times. In order to truly accept the the scientific method your starting point must be that we truly know nothing. Certainly in terms of the physical world.

Belief gives you a starting point based on assumption. This creates bias as every observation in the physical world is interpreted in such a way that will reinforce said belief. Disconfirming evidence is likely to be ignored.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

WeeWorld wrote:
Why should people not be credited with using thousands of years of learning and drawing conclusions based upon the best available evidence? I don't lambast the middle age crackpots who burned heretics at the stake as they knew no better. If folk still wanted to do it they would quite rightly be locked up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

I'm not disagreeing with either of you.
Personally I wouldn't give anything in the Bible credence any more, I'm not anti-religious either though.
But my belief in what science says about everything is pretty much entirely based on accepting
what I've been told. I haven't verified any of it, so it's a belief.
Nobody should be ramming their beliefs down anyone else's throat and that goes for your man Lee as much as anyone else.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

If well known gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell is happy with the verdict, who am I to argue.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:
Critical thought, in my view, has evolved through the rejection of 'belief' as an acceptable means of acquiring knowledge. The emergence of the scientific method has set this century and the last apart from previous times. In order to truly accept the the scientific method your starting point must be that we truly know nothing. Certainly in terms of the physical world.

Belief gives you a starting point based on assumption. This creates bias as every observation in the physical world is interpreted in such a way that will reinforce said belief. Disconfirming evidence is likely to be ignored.
So, in other words, you have to believe that you know nothing?
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

For my two cents, i'm not sure why politics is being brought in to this and dare I say this verdict will have a (positive) impact and will benefit many races, sexualities and so on. If the verdict went the other way, the impact could have been quite severe
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

WeeWorld wrote: But my belief in what science says about everything is pretty much entirely based on accepting
what I've been told. I haven't verified any of it, so it's a belief.
That might be how you choose to interpret things but it isn't intended that way. Scientific theory should not simply be believed like a belief in a particular god. It is trying to break away from the idea of just simply believing things. The scientific method is used to test theory. The conclusion of an experiment or study should never be: X has now been proven to be true. Rather, more appropriate is to conclude that a certain theory was not falsified during this experiment. Therefore the theory survives for another day.

You don't need to understand every scientific theory. You can accept ideas as possible without the need to qualify what you hear as fact or as truth.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?