The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by mikerob »

BR wrote:
mikerob wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Religious grounds I believe.

The fact that same sex marriage is currently illegal here strengthens their case imo. Seems reasonable for them not to print something that contravenes the law as it stands. If they refused to print one celebrating a civil partnership that would be a different matter.
I'm not sure there is a legal issue if someone advocates something that is currently illegal or else there would be no campaigning at all to change existing laws.

If they wanted the cake to say "Increase maximum speed limit" or "Support legalisation of marijuana" could someone refuse to do this because they disagree with this?
Yes - they could. That is the point. Their opposition was on religous grounds (ie their religious beliefs contradicted the customers political message). Their opposition was not on the grounds of the customers' sexuality. I have to presume they would also have refused my custom if I had asked for the same message.
So, for example, if a butcher wanted to print flyers saying "Buy our pork sausages - they are delicious", a Jewish printer could refuse to print them on the grounds that according to their religious beliefs, pork sausages aren't delicious but are an abomination and unclean?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:
BR wrote:
mikerob wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Religious grounds I believe.

The fact that same sex marriage is currently illegal here strengthens their case imo. Seems reasonable for them not to print something that contravenes the law as it stands. If they refused to print one celebrating a civil partnership that would be a different matter.
I'm not sure there is a legal issue if someone advocates something that is currently illegal or else there would be no campaigning at all to change existing laws.

If they wanted the cake to say "Increase maximum speed limit" or "Support legalisation of marijuana" could someone refuse to do this because they disagree with this?
Yes - they could. That is the point. Their opposition was on religous grounds (ie their religious beliefs contradicted the customers political message). Their opposition was not on the grounds of the customers' sexuality. I have to presume they would also have refused my custom if I had asked for the same message.
So, for example, if a butcher wanted to print flyers saying "Buy our pork sausages - they are delicious", a Jewish printer could refuse to print them on the grounds that according to their religious beliefs, pork sausages aren't delicious but are an abomination and unclean?
I just can't understand why if the Jewish printer does not want to print it why should he ?
Should he just say I don't want the job as I have enough work at present ? would that be ok ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

That's a good point ... if you just say no ... can't do that sorry, do you have to give a reason why you can't do it ... if you say nothing and are polite, the onus to prove you're a racist/sexist/homophobe is on the potential customer and that would be very hard if you just said sorry cant do it.

Otherwise I could sue the hell out of the garage that couldn't fix my starter motor last week.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Well yes. I don't think any business is obliged to accept an order and can turn away a customer for any number of legitimate reasons. So does it just come down to the reason they give for not accepting the business?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cornerfleg wrote:What if someone wanted a cake with ban gays on it ... could they be refused?
I think so - I was thinking of finding a suitable bakers and asking for 'Repeal the 1982 Order' - just for badness, like.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Wonder what Mary Berry thinks.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:Wonder what Mary Berry thinks.
She loves the D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Somebody will make money. That is the most important thing with any rights-related incidents. The Equality Commission have effectively declared that monetary compensation will trump any potential discrimination case, assuming of course that what is alleged about the letter is accurate.

The right of legal folk to make lolly for dolly is the most protected right of all.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Slightly off topic but all this talk of CAKE has got me thinking of the charming but rather scantily clad Erika Eleniak (born 29.9.1969) appearing out of a lovely cake in Under Siege (1992). Anyone else find themselves this week reliving famous cake scenes in movies or is it just me?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:What if someone wanted a cake with ban gays on it ... could they be refused?
I think so - I was thinking of finding a suitable bakers and asking for 'Repeal the 1982 Order' - just for badness, like.
This one? Cobblers if you ask me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77O-PHVrwFU
Oh Aye. "Shut up Mike"
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Gay Bulls have no right to life. Who will take up this case? Poor old Benjy. :D

Benjy the bull facing the slaughterhouse as he is 'gay'

The breeding bull has been chasing other bulls as opposed to heifers.

He is now facing the slaughterhouse as his owner has been forced to bring in a replacement bull to inseminate his herd.

The farmer, who wishes to remain anonymous, said he is resigned to the animal’s sexuality.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 25727.html
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Apple. So gay
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

My mates were taking the pi$h out of me and calling me gay just because I invited them to mine for tea and cake.

Then, to make things worse I got my head stuck in the window of the Wendy house we were sat in.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Full time
Novice

Post by Full time »

As this is a rugby forum why bung it up with this crap? Serious question