The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by BR »

Guest house case is very different AFAIK.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:Guest house case is very different AFAIK.
Not so sure as is it not selling a service as well ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
As I remember (and as reported).

Guesthouse refused on basis of perceived sexual preferences, based on the customers' gender/sexuality*.
Ashers refused on basis of political opinion.

*not sure if sexuality was known or implied in that case.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Curried yoghurt would be ming
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

If you say Riata ... would you just upset the Indians?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Guesthouse refused on basis of perceived sexual preferences, based on the customers' gender/sexuality*.

Yes. If Ashers had refused to sell a cake with two wee men on it or say "Seamie loves Sammy" then their wicket would have been stickier imo. The political element muddies the waters.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ravinghill
Novice

Post by ravinghill »

But in what way can it be wrong for Ashers to say "I wont bake you a cake that says support gay marriage as we dont agree with that opinion" yet Peter Robinson and his extreme right wing christian party can state "we will not pass a law that allows gay marriage as we dont agree with it" ??? or even worse "we wont allow gay people to give blood as we dont agree with being gay"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Yes. If Ashers had refused to sell a cake with two wee men on it or say "Seamie loves Sammy" then their wicket would have been stickier imo. The political element muddies the waters.
Was it politics or religious belief they refused to sell the cake on ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Religious grounds I believe.

The fact that same sex marriage is currently illegal here strengthens their case imo. Seems reasonable for them not to print something that contravenes the law as it stands. If they refused to print one celebrating a civil partnership that would be a different matter.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... maybe Jane will sue 'em. Can't believe the Queen of cakes hasn't copywrited her moniker.
Big Neville Southall
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

big mervyn wrote:Religious grounds I believe.

The fact that same sex marriage is currently illegal here strengthens their case imo. Seems reasonable for them not to print something that contravenes the law as it stands. If they refused to print one celebrating a civil partnership that would be a different matter.
I'm not sure there is a legal issue if someone advocates something that is currently illegal or else there would be no campaigning at all to change existing laws.

If they wanted the cake to say "Increase maximum speed limit" or "Support legalisation of marijuana" could someone refuse to do this because they disagree with this?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

What if someone wanted a cake with ban gays on it ... could they be refused?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Religious grounds I believe.

I'm not sure there is a legal issue if someone advocates something that is currently illegal or else there would be no campaigning at all to change existing laws.

If they wanted the cake to say "Increase maximum speed limit" or "Support legalisation of marijuana" could someone refuse to do this because they disagree with this?
Yes - they could. That is the point. Their opposition was on religous grounds (ie their religious beliefs contradicted the customers political message). Their opposition was not on the grounds of the customers' sexuality. I have to presume they would also have refused my custom if I had asked for the same message.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I just tried to order a cake with the message, 'Dear Joe, Jared is a 15, good lad'. They refused on religious grounds. They said the word of Joe is not to be questioned. I'm fecking ragin so ah am! I even suggested Ricky Andrew could deliver it to Cartoon house.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BR wrote:
Yes - they could. That is the point. Their opposition was on religous grounds (ie their religious beliefs contradicted the customers political message). Their opposition was not on the grounds of the customers' sexuality. I have to presume they would also have refused my custom if I had asked for the same message.
I think this hits the nail on the head.
If a straight bloke asks for a cake with 'Support gay marriage' surely they can refuse to support his opinion.
If a gay bloke asks for a cake with 'Support Ulster Rugby' they have no right to refuse him, simply because he is gay.
If a gay bloke asks for a cake with 'Support gay marriage' surely they can refuse on the same basis as the first, but they can't refuse on the basis of the second.
We must support the right of all people to have access to goods and services equally, but if we are policing people's personal beliefs, we're on the road to a bad place.