Abominations.... when "annoyed" doesn't get it done.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Abominations.... when "annoyed" doesn't get it done.

Post by BR »

In the US in particular, it's not about the number of voters, it's about the power of the lobby. Religious folk tend to be 'organised'.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

big mervyn wrote:I'd put money on Obama being an atheist.

So would I. Having read Dreams of My Father, where he all but acknowledges having no belief in God, and then The Audacity of Hope, where he has the (very staged) realisation of faith in church in Chicago, I'm confident he is not a religious man. And obviously his politics bear no more religion than is absolutely politically necessary.

Atheism is the single biggest block to winning the US presidency: 53% of US voters would be less likely to vote for a candidate who suffers from atheism. Lesser obstacles to winning the presidency include:

Being gay or lesbian
Having smoked pot
Being in your 70s
Having had an extramarital affair
Having never held public office before (!!!)

http://www.people-press.org/2014/05/19/ ... than-good/
It's the hope that kills you.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Abominations.... when

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

rumncoke wrote:Mike most poeple can define what they don't want but actual find it hard to define they want .

A bit like a woman going shopping for clothes .

Lovely.
It's the hope that kills you.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Abominations.... when

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Mike most poeple can define what they don't want but actual find it hard to define they want .

A bit like a woman going shopping for clothes .

Lovely.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Misogyny added to Rum'n's list of crimes against fellow humans. :D

Frankly I like weemin , just as long as they stay off the golf course..................... oh wait, I haven't played for 3 years & with this shoulder, I suppose realistically I'm an ex-golfer .......ok scrub that first bit, no not the I like weemin bit ........ the golf course bit. :lol:

Merv, I was going to say that in the USA the greatest crime & not just in politics is atheism. I've always found it bizarre that they can find it in them to finally imagine a black man can be president but unless the bible is close to hand, you are a serious deviant.

Beautifully contrasting with Russia, a place where the madness of belief in deities is regarded as a mental illness. I suppose I should abandon "the audacity of hope" and join the "go Putin" camp, then again, they are despicable homophobes, which neatly brings us back to Norn Iron & the DUP.

Ah feck it, I'm off to Spain to join Podemos.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
That's near enough it. I would go a step further and say there are many people who say they are Christians, but aren't. There are some who think they are, but aren't. Some sections of the broad Christian diaspora teach/believe that faith in God is a green light to do what you want with impunity as they have a 'get out of jail free card'. I believe they are wrong, very wrong. There are others who believe they are allowed to hate people groups be they black, gay or whatever. They are also very wrong.

Nice one Snipe. I'd be inclined to agree. I've always thought that if one wishes to be a Christian one should be following the teachings of Jesus and should be influenced by the actions of Jesus as a leader by example.

So only moneylenders should be frowned upon and of course that would include present and past bank employees, even including ones who don't follow Jesus. I like the sound of that. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

A bit like a woman going shopping for clothes . They can be be in and out of Tesco s in 1/2 an hour and 3 hours in M&S .

Many model their religion to reflect their prejudices and while willing to accept God's forgiveness fail to exercise their own .

Sent from cyberspace
THIS IS RACIST
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Feck off ya gowl.

My advice to all young adults and childer of my acquaintance has always been, never become a usurer, a disagreeable bunch who I place just above scorpions & box jellyfish on my shitlist of creatures to be avoided. I of course was an exception to the rule. My own form of rebellion......... whilst always remaining cognisant of my need to feed my family ............. was to always do what I thought was best for my customers , if that was one of our products ok, if I could steer them the right way, that was grand too.

I arranged loans & mortgages for several people who needed fighting for to get it & never sold PPI to anyone who didn't demand it, I have a clear conscience. Furthermore for those who still cannot forgive my past, I resolutely hate the bank, except one day a month when the pension hits my account, as it faithfully has since I turned 50. I'll give them that much, the bloodsucking leeches.

That apart, I should know better than to rise to your taunts. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:Walter Palmer. >minigun
35k and now he regrets it. What a tube......

He can have some interesting times in Chikurubi
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

As a "sport" he loves you'd have thought his greatest regret would be wounding an animal which they then spent 40 hours trying to track so that they could put it out of its misery. I wonder will the U.S. extradite him as easily as they expect other countries to extradite autistic "hackers"?
Mr Walter Palmer is a gobshite, he has killed a rhino with a bow and arrow, unless that arrow had a major explosive device that rhino took a hell of a long time to succumb. This is savagery, I hate Mr Palmer without every meeting him, that is a little troubling but I'm confident that he is worthy of opprobrium.

More happily I offer this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... babwe.html splendid news.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

As a "sport" he loves you'd have thought his greatest regret would be wounding an animal which they then spent 40 hours trying to track so that they could put it out of its misery. I wonder will the U.S. extradite him as easily as they expect other countries to extradite autistic "hackers"?
I find myself totally incapable of understanding why someone would want to shoot a wild animal for sport. This doesn't happen too often as I can usually find some scintilla of logic even in idiotic pursuits, but this one has me all out of ideas guv'nor.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Happy news, Walt's dental practice is closed & his whereabouts are unknown, seems Walt isn't the heroic slayer of dangerous beasts he likes to think of himself as.

I concur yet again Snipe, quite what the thrill is in having an animal lured to a place where you can sneak up & kill it with a weapon is is beyond me too.

#Waltisscum.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So - big cat farming for the 'hunting' industry... Is that a good or bad thing?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The fact that it is industrialised, creates jobs and that it brings considerable income into a very poor country does muddy the waters slightly, but my basic revulsion at the desire to shoot an animal for sport remains.
What I can understand is the dentist's feeling of guilt.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I actually thought your moniker might have been an allusion to an interest in hunting Snipe.
Used to work with a boy that shot and he regarded the Snipe as the ultimate challenge.

Those canned shoots are very popular in the US too. Day out for the kiddies in many cases :roll:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Killing for sport is a strange one. I've shot pheasants a number of times and been on two dear 'stalks' in Scotland though they were many moons ago. I believe both are quite well regulated in the UK and that culling deer actually helps the ecosystem in the areas they're reared/allowed to breed wildly in Scotland. That said the pheasant shooting didn't overly bother me but on my first trip deer hunting I didn't kill anything whilst on the second I did and it didn't leave a particularly nice feeling inside and I have never ventured back.

I believe I read an article where psychologists were saying it is very bad for younger children and adolescents as it 'dumbs' the senses a little to modern human natures aversion to death and suffering. I don't have the article to hand so could have misremembered it but it certainly makes sense.

My broad stroke opinion on it is that hunting 'big game' is abominable. I'm willing to being charged a hypocrite given the above admission however I would argue it's wildly different.

Big game are beautiful, and generally, increasingly rare creatures. The unnatural hunting of these animals will only speed the species eventual demise. They are also being hunted, I am led to believe, in relatively controlled zones. Ie the 'hunter' is quite unlikely to become the hunted by other wild animals which would be a bit more Darwinian and level the playing field somewhat.

I also bet he regrets sticking it up on bakebook or whatever platform he used.