Abominations.... when "annoyed" doesn't get it done.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Abominations.... when "annoyed" doesn't get it done.

Post by big mervyn »

Feck sake Baggy. Is there a page missing from yer Bible?

The animals went in two by two
Hoorah! Hoorah!
Hoorah! Hoorah!
The elephant and the kangaroo
And they all went into the ark
For to get out of the rain.

Them verses are probably in Genesis (and very probably after Phil Collins ruined them).
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
The Orange Order is in theory a peaceful God fearing organisation.
I was watching a show there at the weekend about the Ku Klux Klan. Anyway one of their claims of justification is that they are a God-fearing(White God-fearing as they said) organisation. Interesting and it made me think of this post. Not because I need to call out some similarities between the KKK and OO but just to highlight that some God-fearing folk claim to be peaceful while others make no such claims....and would look rather idiotic if they did. It's the same God they fear which is a bit strange I guess. Perhaps the big man isn't doing enough to unite his followers. :D
There is the key word my friend, "followers". The KKK claim to be followers, they may believe they are followers, but I would beg to differ.
Snipe does your brand of religion allow you to declare who you believe to be followers and who you do not?

I thought that for most reformed religions, that was a matter for the individuals and their God.

Of course, I accept that you could rate their standard of following in comparison to your own and others.
My set of beliefs state that I should judge individuals by their actions and not just their words. The racist and violent criminal actions of the KKK tell me that, despite their claims to be Christian, they are not following the teachings of Christ.
The relationship is between the individual and God, but the standards are uniform.
No problem having you describe an action as non-christian (or contrary to Christian teachings). In fact, from what I know of you there are few better men for the job. But who is to know what is in the heart (to use a religious phrase) of individuals. Christians are allowed to sin without stopping being Christians as I understand it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Feck sake Baggy. Is there a page missing from yer Bible?

Hoorah! Hoorah!
Hoorah! Hoorah!
The elephant and the kangaroo
And they all went into the ark
For to get out of the rain.

Them verses are probably in Genesis (and very probably after Phil Collins ruined them).
Ah of course, how could I get it so wrong.

Actually the biy who wrote it was struggling for a rhyme for two, old Noah hadn't heard of the kangaroo nor knew feck all about cockatoos either, this guy thought, ahhhhh, they'll never query it, may as well just make shyte up. :roll:

That there is a true fact so it is.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Abominations.... when

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote: No problem having you describe an action as non-christian (or contrary to Christian teachings). In fact, from what I know of you there are few better men for the job. But who is to know what is in the heart (to use a religious phrase) of individuals. Christians are allowed to sin without stopping being Christians as I understand it.
If Christians were required to live sinless lives, there would be zero Christians. This does not imply that Christians are given a general amnesty to do what hey want.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

But do they stop being Christians, or are they just sihte at it?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As a measure of balance, foolishly countering my own conviction that it is all nonsense, I believe that there are huge numbers of "so called" Christians who are simply Christians of convenience and that they behave as they wish in the certain knowledge that forgiveness is guaranteed.

Such Christians may be categorized as Shyte Christians as distinct from Snipe's more agreeable sort, the Sunny Disposition Christians. I am convinced there are other strains and cults within the overall umbrella of Christianity, who include the Financial Christians, likely also to be Freemasons, the Sunday Christian and of course the somewhat to be avoided but generally decent and sincere, Born Again Christians, as long as you aren't gay of course.

That said, I'm far from expert on Christianity or believers in a deity in general, I am however a font of wisdom on the human race with all its nastiness and selfish pomposity. Frankly if I were omniscient, I'd wipe us out.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Did you hear the radio2 piece on Christian (or not) politicians in NI. Jeremy Vine on Friday iirc.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:As a measure of balance, foolishly countering my own conviction that it is all nonsense, I believe that there are huge numbers of "so called" Christians who are simply Christians of convenience and that they behave as they wish in the certain knowledge that forgiveness is guaranteed.

Such Christians may be categorized as Shyte Christians as distinct from Snipe's more agreeable sort, the Sunny Disposition Christians. I am convinced there are other strains and cults within the overall umbrella of Christianity, who include the Financial Christians, likely also to be Freemasons, the Sunday Christian and of course the somewhat to be avoided but generally decent and sincere, Born Again Christians, as long as you aren't gay of course.

That said, I'm far from expert on Christianity or believers in a deity in general, I am however a font of wisdom on the human race with all its nastiness and selfish pomposity. Frankly if I were omniscient, I'd wipe us out.
That's near enough it. I would go a step further and say there are many people who say they are Christians, but aren't. There are some who think they are, but aren't. Some sections of the broad Christian diaspora teach/believe that faith in God is a green light to do what you want with impunity as they have a 'get out of jail free card'. I believe they are wrong, very wrong. There are others who believe they are allowed to hate people groups be they black, gay or whatever. They are also very wrong.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:Did you hear the radio2 piece on Christian (or not) politicians in NI. Jeremy Vine on Friday iirc.
No but I assume anyone from outside NI finds the NI Christian very little more than a hop skip & a jump from ISIS.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:As a measure of balance, foolishly countering my own conviction that it is all nonsense, I believe that there are huge numbers of "so called" Christians who are simply Christians of convenience and that they behave as they wish in the certain knowledge that forgiveness is guaranteed.

That's near enough it. I would go a step further and say there are many people who say they are Christians, but aren't. There are some who think they are, but aren't. Some sections of the broad Christian diaspora teach/believe that faith in God is a green light to do what you want with impunity as they have a 'get out of jail free card'. I believe they are wrong, very wrong. There are others who believe they are allowed to hate people groups be they black, gay or whatever. They are also very wrong.
Thank you Snipe, I had feared that my somewhat flippant phrasing might irritate you but I was pretty happy with the thrust of it. As one of my favourite mentalists, your approval is welcome. :thumleft:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:Did you hear the radio2 piece on Christian (or not) politicians in NI. Jeremy Vine on Friday iirc.
No but I assume anyone from outside NI finds the NI Christian very little more than a hop skip & a jump from ISIS.
No - it was more about those MLAs, etc who say they are Christians, because to say otherwise would be political suicide. I think he said he had 7 off-the-record admissions, and only AnnaLo was prepared to say so on-the-record and the APNI very much stood in her way of doing the interview.

For the GB audience this was contrasted with the situation there, where politicians are recommended to keep their faith beliefs to themselves. And where, for years, Blair's minders vetoed any questions about his personal faith.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

We're a bit like the US in miniature, in many ways.

I'd put money on Obama being an atheist but to declare it there would be political suicide.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I wonder if it genuinely would be political suicide or if there are more people than the politicians think who wouldn't actually care.

Or maybe lots of the general population wouldn't care, but a lot of people who bother to vote DO care given that people who don't tend to vote have already demonstrated that they don't care about politics in general anyway...
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:I wonder if it genuinely would be political suicide or if there are more people than the politicians think who wouldn't actually care.

Or maybe lots of the general population wouldn't care, but a lot of people who bother to vote DO care given that people who don't tend to vote have already demonstrated that they don't care about politics in general anyway...
I'm not so sure that the majority don't care, I heard some Suddern Medja suggesting that a turn of the tide had occurred and that we are getting closer to equal marriage rights in NI. I'd suggest & stats confirm that is utter bullshit.

We are a hateful we statelet who are excellent at stating what we are against. What we are in favour of is aways a feckin' mystery. :roll:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Mike most poeple can define what they don't want but actual find it hard to define they want .

A bit like a woman going shopping for clothes . They can be be in and out of Tesco s in 1/2 an hour and 3 hours in M&S .

Many model their religion to reflect their prejudices and while willing to accept God's forgiveness fail to exercise their own .

Sent from cyberspace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist