Orange Hatefest 2015

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Orange Hatefest 2015

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:One built by "Them uns"............... proof that Prods are better buiilders:
Bonfire_Derry.jpg
I wonder if there was chat show for two hours on burning the Union Flag and damage to the environment :roll:

Is Kofi on the wind-up, or is he legitimately this much of a short-sighted and/or contrarian cúnt?
Really, is that your best shot. As a piece of pond life you would not understand hypocrisy . I have absolutely no love for the OO or for what stands for, but I can't help but noticing the one sighted nonsense in this shît hole of a country ,last week it was reported in some press that orange halls etc were burnt out, that was reported as " vandalism " now If some one was to burn out say a GAA hall etc , it would be a " hate crime".

any one who uses the word Cnut in a post or in a verbal conversation is pretty pi$h poor as a human being with the burning desire within oneself to show the world what a complete an utter arsè he is , what a hateful vile little child you are.
Not sure what "some press" refers, to but the BBCNI, UTV, Belfast Telegraph and Irish News all used the phrase "hate crime" or "sectarian hate crime" when reporting the Orange Hall attacks.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I'm off fishin', cos fishin' is my mission.
I hate the lot of them; OO, GAA, Camp Twatdell, GARC.
Just one thing though, anyone with a bit of sense and from that part of NBelfast knows the Ardoyne is not the feckin shops, nor the ambulance depot.
This is people going out of their way to be offended. And as usual, the morons in the OO and PUL fall for it, equally offended, because they also want to be.
Sure everyone's a victim, except the real ones.
Exterminate all rational thought
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
againstthehead wrote:The twelth itself by and large outside is a reasonable spectacle outside Belfast
I disagree. It's the same sectarian shyte with cuchies instead of townies. Many of the bands are just as offensive.

The idea of the countryfolk getting along in contrast to the Belfasties is something of a myth imo.
I'll agree with you Merv and not just because it's the buck eejit Agen-le-tete, former 12th attendee. One does not have to attend it to know what shyte it is, you simply look at the actions and the havoc the participants cause and murmur, fu@kwits.

I have never attended and one nano-second of the twelfth in my life, never will. I was asked by a Scotsman a few years back "do you walk on the twelfth?" I gave him the standard reply, no I run, in the opposite direction.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
solidarity wrote:
solidarity wrote:A question I've often asked myself but never been able to answer satisfactorily: If the 'Twelfth' and all that surrounds it didn't exist, what would I point to as the distinctive expression of Northern Irish culture? Seems like it is our only defining cultural event. Now there's a depressing thought if I ever heard one.
Off the top of my head:

- Potato bread
- Parochialism (of the positive, community kind, as well as the ridiculous "get aff ma land" kind)
- Bicommunal hatred of English people
- Loose cultural allegiances with Scotland, fostered upon shared hatred of English people
- Golfers
- Local comedy (Jake O'Kane, Colin Murphy, Barry the Blender, thon "so North Down" spud)

Now none of these are "single distinctive expressions" of NI culture, but I'd argue that culture can't and shouldn't be reduced to one single, or headline, thing.
Potato bread trumps the rest, especially as part of that great cultural icon, the Ulster fry. Often imitated as the 'Full... breakfast' but never surpassed. True, Rory, it's the combination of everything that makes a culture what it is,, the combination of very ordinary ordinary things that make up ordinary life.

A wandering thought. Anybody tried any of the new local beers that are becoming a part of our culture? Surely all of them must be better than Harp.

Solids, Camel's pish is better than Harp*** however I refuse to judge any drink on that standard. That said I am not equipped to make a call on local beers, I'm a creature of habit, I drink Guinness, Black Bush & black coffee ...........occasionally in heat I will drink beer or cider. On my current escapade I have found San Miguel Selecta - Spain's answer to Bo - a satisfying drop at a pleasant 6.2 kick.

Normally I can be relied upon to only drink the black drinks.

*** Many decades ago at Warrenpoint GC in their splendid 72 hole Scratch Cup, I was handed a pint of amber beer & on enquiring was told it was Harp. I didn't believe it because it was actually tasty. On enquiring I found that they got Harp direct from the Dundalk brewery & that it was "different" from normal nordie Harp. Whodda guessed?
What is it about Dundalk? A few years ago I had a nice bottle of Tusker Premium, Kenya's flagship beer, in a hotel in Kenya. Turned out to be brewed and bottled in Dundalk!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Probably in the old Harp or Macardles breweries, prob Mac actually. Did a lot of Guinness stuff, barley wine and the like. Exported to Africa and Caribbean. Nice old brewery. Now sacrificed to mass production.
Exterminate all rational thought
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Only a small protest this morning
The buses must have not been allowed up the crumlin road full of offended people
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

solidarity wrote:
solidarity wrote:A question I've often asked myself but never been able to answer satisfactorily: If the 'Twelfth' and all that surrounds it didn't exist, what would I point to as the distinctive expression of Northern Irish culture? Seems like it is our only defining cultural event. Now there's a depressing thought if I ever heard one.
Off the top of my head:

- Potato bread
- Parochialism (of the positive, community kind, as well as the ridiculous "get aff ma land" kind)
- Loose cultural allegiances with Scotland, fostered upon shared hatred of English people
- Golfers
- Local comedy (Jake O'Kane, Colin Murphy, Barry the Blender, thon "so North Down" spud)

Now none of these are "single distinctive expressions" of NI culture, but I'd argue that culture can't and shouldn't be reduced to one single, or headline, thing.
Potato bread trumps the rest, especially as part of that great cultural icon, the Ulster fry. Often imitated as the 'Full... breakfast' but never surpassed. True, Rory, it's the combination of everything that makes a culture what it is,, the combination of very ordinary ordinary things that make up ordinary life.

A wandering thought. Anybody tried any of the new local beers that are becoming a part of our culture? Surely all of them must be better than Harp.
Belfast Blonde's nice. (Is that the right name?)
It's the hope that kills you.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:One built by "Them uns"............... proof that Prods are better buiilders:
Bonfire_Derry.jpg
I wonder if there was chat show for two hours on burning the Union Flag and damage to the environment :roll:

Is Kofi on the wind-up, or is he legitimately this much of a short-sighted and/or contrarian cúnt?
Really, is that your best shot. As a piece of pond life you would not understand hypocrisy . I have absolutely no love for the OO or for what stands for, but I can't help but noticing the one sighted nonsense in this shît hole of a country ,last week it was reported in some press that orange halls etc were burnt out, that was reported as " vandalism " now If some one was to burn out say a GAA hall etc , it would be a " hate crime".

any one who uses the word Cnut in a post or in a verbal conversation is pretty pi$h poor as a human being with the burning desire within oneself to show the world what a complete an utter arsè he is , what a hateful vile little child you are.
Such a sensitive soul, Kofi :lol: I wouldn't have guessed as much, from the brief and bitter contributions which characterise your presence. If you've a problem with the word, why quote it? Or use it yourself?

I share your absence of love for the Orange Order - and, indeed, your absence of love for any sectarian institution or behaviour on the "Catholic/nationalist" side as well. Main difference is the 12th bonfires are a fundamental element of the image and identity of Ulster loyalism and/or unionism, and occur on a much larger, more regular and more disciplined basis than nationalist or republican parades. Republican parades are a lesser phenomenon; when I see them (for the record, living in a primarily nationalist area, I have stumbled across 1 in the last 12 years, in Warrenpoint) I fart in their general direction.

Kofi: Rumn with slightly better punctuation :thumleft:
It's the hope that kills you.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote: I have absolutely no love for the OO or for what stands for, but I can't help but noticing the one sighted nonsense in this shît hole of a country ,last week it was reported in some press that orange halls etc were burnt out, that was reported as " vandalism " now If some one was to burn out say a GAA hall etc , it would be a " hate crime".
Not sure what "some press" refers, to but the BBCNI, UTV, Belfast Telegraph and Irish News all used the phrase "hate crime" or "sectarian hate crime" when reporting the Orange Hall attacks.
Just because you don't read An Phoblacht and the Andersonstown News Merv! :roll:

You gotta love some of the reporting in some media though. From one report you could take one thing, from another something else entirely.

From Andy's Town News:
There were signs of mounting tension on the outward journey past St Patrick’s Chapel in Donegall Street when the Finaghy True Blue band defied a ban on music being played past the church. Earlier this year, 13 members of a loyalist band were convicted of provocatively playing the sectarian ‘Famine Song’ outside St Patrick’s in 2012.
From Beeb:
A single drumbeat was played as the parade passed St Patrick's Church in Donegall Street However, one band, Finaghy True Blues from south Belfast, played a tune going past the Catholic church, in spite of a Parades Commission determination that only the drumbeat should be played. They admitted they had played the hymn How Great Thou Art and said they were only playing religious music outside a place of worship.
Now clearly ONE band has technically breached the Parades Commission ruling, but one wonders how much "mounting tension" was caused by playing a hymn outside a place of worship ..... unless you misread the report which omits the hymn and only mentions "The Famine Song". :roll:

Why, one would think such carelessness could cause tension to mount - I'm shocked that such a fine organ as TAN would allow such poor reporting. :shock:

You'd almost think they were on a par with the Shankill News ..... oh wait! :duh:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

solidarity wrote:
Off the top of my head:

- Potato bread
- Golfers

The local beers and ciders are very acceptable to my Lancastrian palate. The John Hewitt is a good spot to try a few!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Imagined being offended by a hymn at a church

Some people need educated on parades commission rulings too
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:Imagined being offended by a hymn at a church

Can you play a hymn? A hymn is religious words set to a piece of music. Does the music without the words still constitute a "hymn"?

The music normally used for How Great Thou Art is a Swedish folk tune with no religious connotation.

Leylists are not known for their musical compositions, rather, they tend to set their own lyrics to existing pieces e.g. the Sash (trad. folk piece) Famine Song (Sloop John B - wonder if they send the Beach Boys the royalties for playing it in public?) Billy Boys (Marching Thru Georgia). The music without the words is very ambiguous.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I am offended that the Glorious Twelfth celebrations were postponed to the 13th. Entirely unacceptable stuff. Wish I could protest about it. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote:I am offended that the Glorious Twelfth celebrations were postponed to the 13th. Entirely unacceptable stuff. Wish I could protest about it. :D
You've another month to wait until the Glorious Twelth, Shan. Wednesday this year.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Russ wrote:Imagined being offended by a hymn at a church

Who said any one was offended?

Now you are reading your own interpretations into those reports from two fine media sources :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right