USA Presidential Primaries 2016 - its all here.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: USA Presidential Primaries 2016 - its all here.

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Clinton could yet fall and the Republicans could have an Ace up their sleeve yet when it comes to the Convention am I right that they don't have to accept Trump..
Basically the rules for the Republican convention are fluid until a week or so before hand when the grandees decide what they want to happen. It's all gone very quiet recently.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Trumped up charges?
BaggyTrousers wrote:You would seriously have to question the motives of the State Dept reasons for this. It appears the equivalent of not charging Tony B Liar as a war criminal but then saying, by the way Liar, about that jaywalking offence. :banghead:

Seems a purely politically motivated act. The State Dept is the Seppos equivalent of the foreign office quite why they are setting themselves up as the Dept of Justice is anyone's guess

Meanwhile in Dallas 5 police officers have been murdered by snipers overnight.
They have come up with a new method of disarming a terrorist hiding in a building though, just send in a robot with an explosive charge and detonate it, sort of suicide bomber robot, wonder does it shout "God bless the USA" before it goes bang?
I see the Police Chief is having to defend using the robot delivered bomb. Frankly I thought it was ingenious, why should the police risk losing more men when they can simply smoke the ballix without risk?

I'd be happy to see something similar used at Twaddell Avenue. :oman:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

baggy… statistics on police shootings in the US can be varied for a variety of resins not least the abundance of LEA's that exist there. There is no doubt it is a dangerous job and the risk that any traffic violation could end up in a gun battle is maybe another discussion for any day.

Statistics that I came across appear to maybe conflict with your view that it is mostly the native american being shot and reveal that for 2016 at least the figures are...

509 killed
484 male
238 white
123 black
79 hispanic
46 u/k
23 other

of which 282 armed with guns 88 armed with knives and only 35 unarmed…

The % can look significantly different I presume when you consider the white/black ratio and that that into account.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:baggy… statistics on police shootings in the US can be varied for a variety of resins not least the abundance of LEA's that exist there. There is no doubt it is a dangerous job and the risk that any traffic violation could end up in a gun battle is maybe another discussion for any day.

Statistics that I came across appear to maybe conflict with your view that it is mostly the native american being shot and reveal that for 2016 at least the figures are...

509 killed
484 male
238 white
123 black
79 hispanic
46 u/k
23 other

of which 282 armed with guns 88 armed with knives and only 35 unarmed…

The % can look significantly different I presume when you consider the white/black ratio and that that into account.
I'd reply in detail Cockers but I'm just away out the door. Maybe when I get to m wee hovel. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Blacks are about 13% of the US population and Latino about 17% so the % deaths of blacks is almost double their proportion of the population while the % deaths of Latinos is about the same.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

mike... the area to concentrate on here may well be the 35 unarmed deaths…
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The root causes of the death toll in America lies in poverty, segregation, social exclusion and a rumbling undercurrent of racism stoked up by the media. Take a divided society like that, toss in the second amendment and you have all the ingredients you need for chaos.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

On the face of it the video of Alton Sterling (the black man on his back and partly under a car) being shot by a police officer is damning.. Images and indeed video can tell the truth but they can also for one reason or another only tell part of that truth. On first viewing I though hell they have little to support their action but was willing to keep a more open mind in the search for fuller facts…

I will digress for now and say in relation to the other shooting of the (black) driver by police when his g/f calmly videoed the incident and live streamed it to the world and question her actions. Now several professors have jumped in and indicated that her actions were quite normal for a civilian in that situation. Well I must be abnormal because the last thing I would think of if a member of my family had been shot beside me would be to get my phone out and start videoing it live. However I accept we all act different that is life and until faced with life/death situations many don't really know what they might or might not do. It does however seem to be systematic of a society today that appears more willing to get their mobile out rather than something more meaningful.. unless of course hits on you tube is what you are looking.

Now back to Sterling… Evidence is now emerging (on video) would you believe that Stirling had in fact one arm/hand free under the engine of the vehicle and that the second police officer was not able to secure it (and from what I have seen that makes some sense)…. It seems that Stirling moved his arm and put his hand into his pocket when the officer shot him. In itself this doesn't justify the shooting and to some degree nor does the fact that Stirling seemingly had a gun in his pocket because the officer could not have seen it unless of course he did see something before shooting… Either the truth will out or the concocted lies of two police officers will prevail… Did he have a gun or was it planted? whatever... the video on first viewing can be damning without knowing all the facts.. and not much was reported on the fact that this man was armed when shot..

The officers would have been aware that Stirling was convicted of carnal knowledge (doesn't make you a cop killer) and had also served 5 years in prison on another offence…
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:On the face of it the video of Alton Sterling (the black man on his back and partly under a car) being shot by a police officer is damning.. Images and indeed video can tell the truth but they can also for one reason or another only tell part of that truth. On first viewing I though hell they have little to support their action but was willing to keep a more open mind in the search for fuller facts…

I will digress for now and say in relation to the other shooting of the (black) driver by police when his g/f calmly videoed the incident and live streamed it to the world and question her actions. Now several professors have jumped in and indicated that her actions were quite normal for a civilian in that situation. Well I must be abnormal because the last thing I would think of if a member of my family had been shot beside me would be to get my phone out and start videoing it live. However I accept we all act different that is life and until faced with life/death situations many don't really know what they might or might not do. It does however seem to be systematic of a society today that appears more willing to get their mobile out rather than something more meaningful.. unless of course hits on you tube is what you are looking.

Now back to Sterling… Evidence is now emerging (on video) would you believe that Stirling had in fact one arm/hand free under the engine of the vehicle and that the second police officer was not able to secure it (and from what I have seen that makes some sense)…. It seems that Stirling moved his arm and put his hand into his pocket when the officer shot him. In itself this doesn't justify the shooting and to some degree nor does the fact that Stirling seemingly had a gun in his pocket because the officer could not have seen it unless of course he did see something before shooting… Either the truth will out or the concocted lies of two police officers will prevail… Did he have a gun or was it planted? whatever... the video on first viewing can be damning without knowing all the facts.. and not much was reported on the fact that this man was armed when shot..

The officers would have been aware that Stirling was convicted of carnal knowledge (doesn't make you a cop killer) and had also served 5 years in prison on another offence…
You better believe that Cockers, I was in eight incidents where guns were pointed at me and colleagues. One lad about town nearly got himself shot because he was paralysed by the terror of it and couldn't obey a simple instruction to get away from a door. A lady who was highly regarded absolutely freaked and threw herself on the floor whilst a junior girl asked me what to do and was as cool as a cucumber, handing out a few nioes at a time and the dumb ballix ran with about £600 when thousands were available.

Then you had big Stevie Smyth who didn't like being robbed and followed the guy out of the bank until the shooter copped on and drew his gun again near City Hall on a crowded street, Stevie starred him out and the ballix ran, picked up shortly after by the RUC.

So no Cockers you have no idea at all until it happens. First time it happened to me in the late seventies, i had a gun pushed into my chest, I was cooler than Joe Cool on one of his coolest days, then half an hour later I started shaking uncontrollably, reaching for the Black Bush that the boss had produced. It was hard going for a while every time someone opened the door with a fraction of force.

My favourite robbery was by 6 Provos, 5 with handguns, 1 with a sledge hammer to break down the door. They were standard pros, a bit of roaring and shouting and waving guns about to catch your attention. You just knew nobody was going to be shot, they were real pros, a pleasure to be robbed by. Much preferable that than some dickhead with his hand shaking like a leaf and you don't know if the gun is real or not, that is scary.

I was in another classic with the peelers across the road watching and doing nothing, wanting to follow the money to the boss. Just as well none of us chubes got ourselves shot. It was an inspector I knew well who told me about it a couple of weeks later, I was bloody ripping, he just laughed.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mikerob wrote:Blacks are about 13% of the US population and Latino about 17% so the % deaths of blacks is almost double their proportion of the population while the % deaths of Latinos is about the same.
Read a recent article about a paper as yet unpublished (and not yet peer reviewed) by a black academic in USA looking into this (NB I have only skim read the newspaper article, not the actual research paper).

It surprised me that the findings were reported that although shootings of blacks were higher than whites, they were not significantly so when other factors were taken into account.

This included analysis of "black on black" and "black on white" violence which (according to the article) is twice as high as other groups, leading this (black) academic to suggest that blacks were more inclined to be involved in violent crime and therefore more likely to be confronted with lethal force by the police.

A lot of potential discrepancies in that, as I stated the paper is unpublished, not peer reviewed yet, and I only read some one else's take on this, but it did surprise me.

Of course statistics can be used to "show" anything and this does not in any way say anything about potential individual abuses by police officers which on the face of it appear to have taken place and which if as appeared, are to be condemned.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:The root causes of the death toll in America lies in poverty, segregation, social exclusion and a rumbling undercurrent of racism stoked up by the media. Take a divided society like that, toss in the second amendment and you have all the ingredients you need for chaos.
Absolutely.

And in part probably goes some way to "explaining" (for want of a better word) why blacks are more involved in violent crime as reported in my previous post (if indeed they are more involved ..... previous riders still in place).
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Read a recent article about a paper as yet unpublished.....
Oh, so you can read then :shock: :shock: :shock: . It's more than you did with my NEC post, ye buck ejit............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Oh, so you can read then :shock: :shock: :shock: . It's more than you did with my NEC post, ye buck ejit............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I only read interesting things. >EW
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
I only read interesting things. >EW
You also use bold and italics without good reason..... :roll:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

and yer point is?
I'm not arguing -