Gene Editing

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Gene Editing

Post by Shan »

Very interesting article here on gene editing.

I like the idea of combating diseases, deformations or other things which negatively impact our species using this type of technology. I guess one has to be mindful of the known and unknown other factors related to this subject.

Not sure where I stand in relation to genetic engineering in terms of designer babies etc. On the surface it would seem an affront to freedom but it may very well depend on how far we are prepared to go - Do we want to assist our species to develop or do we simply want to engineer the perfect society and if the latter who gets to decide what is that perfect society?

This stuff is only in its infancy but probably safe to assume we shall see a lot of development in this area over the next 100 years.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... gineering/
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Gene Editing

Post by Russ »

Gene Hackman
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

It'll probably take 100 years to beat off the objections of the religious lunatics, They think if God saw fit to visit Cancer, Down's, MDN, Cystic Fibrosis and many more serious & less serious ailments on people then it is wrong to interfere with genes.

What next, tinkering with Spides to turn them into acceptable people? Given the murder & beatings of young people over the weekend, I'd agree to the extent that I'd euthanise them rather than attempt any alterations.

Anyway, I digress, it is indeed interesting.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Once a Knight wrote:
Russ wrote:Gene Hackman
I like that. Very quick. :thumleft:
ACTN3 is quicker.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

while its all very well for knowledge to increase etc

The fact is that if you are waiting for an operation each year the the waiting time seems to get longer

The definition of an Academic is of course----someone who learns more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing .

The fact is Doctors go to funerals they are the only profession who actual practice their profession and it isn't always perfect
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

You just pressed the button Rum'n
bullshit.jpg
bullshit.jpg (4 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Once a Knight wrote:
100 years? :shock:

I think it was almost 20 years ago the he human genome project was launched. It's aim? To map the entire human genome within the decade. Iirc, it was mapped in 3 years due to the advances that were made in the area. In the last decade, individual parts of the genome have been identified and associated with the various genetic diseases. The so-called "faulty" gene. We are now at the stage of inserting and repairing those "faulty" genes.

I can assure you, at the pace it's going, you won't have to wait 100 years a chara.

NB - I said "faulty" genes because they are associated with genetic conditions or diseases. The ethical debate as to whether they are faulty or part of the diversity of human genetic history is another question.
100 years may have been overstating the case a chara but I am mindful of disruptive forces. The issue isn't with the advances themselves but rather with society's reluctance to advancement. There'll be plenty of debate on ethics, most of which will be conducted by people who don't know what ethics means which will add to the delays.

Of course the time frame is also determined by what we mean by a lot of development. That is a point we could debate. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:It'll probably take 100 years to beat off the objections of the religious lunatics, They think if God saw fit to visit Cancer, Down's, MDN, Cystic Fibrosis and many more serious & less serious ailments on people then it is wrong to interfere with genes.

What next, tinkering with Spides to turn them into acceptable people? Given the murder & beatings of young people over the weekend, I'd agree to the extent that I'd euthanise them rather than attempt any alterations.

Anyway, I digress, it is indeed interesting.
Yes. The nation state is a disruptive factor because it is heavily influenced by folk who think their deity enjoys challenging them by causing them great pain which must be endured. Many think it is Ok to have children born with horrific disease or other incapacities so they can suffer in order to show their love for a generous and kind overlord. Those folk cannot be reasoned with and unfortunately we have to endure them.

I am very much in favour of euthanasia as I am of the belief that true freedom means one owns one's own body and has sovereignty over one's own life. I'm rather less tolerant of murder, even if I have distaste for dangerous individuals who have no respect for other's freedom to live in peace. I would listen to arguments on isolating a criminal, sociopathic or psychopathic gene and the editing of same were such a thing possible.

Ultimately if we ever get down the road we could potentially look at isolating the "God" gene and editing that also. Does it exist though? :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Once a Knight wrote: The NHS was conceived to provide healthcare from the cradle to the grave
Hmm I would think many would argue it was, or should have been, conceived to provide healthcare from womb to tomb....
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Actual ONCE a Night ( Mrs Frustrated) the one thing the NHS does treat well Is cancer it is the life depleting knocks which wait the Hernias , Hips and Knees etc

How some cancers are treated by the NHS is beyond reproach I know of one person who was on an operating table for 14 hours with cancer of the Jaw requiring three surgical teams .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Actual ONCE a Night ( Mrs Frustrated) the one thing the NHS does treat well Is cancer it is the life depleting knocks which wait the Hernias , Hips and Knees etc

How some cancers are treated by the NHS is beyond reproach I know of one person who was on an operating table for 14 hours with cancer of the Jaw requiring three surgical teams .
If you do it once and your partner is satisfied then why waste energy doing it again?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote: If you do it once and your partner is satisfied then why waste energy doing it again?
You may not be satisfied. :D
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote: If you do it once and your partner is satisfied then why waste energy doing it again?
You may not be satisfied. :D
I'm not here to satisfy rum
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote: I'm not here to satisfy rum
Pity. I'd say a few pats on the head and assuring him that the voices in his head are real and a force for good in the world would keep him satisfied.