Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Samstew
Squire

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by Samstew »

Rooster wrote:
Samstew wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:
I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting as I checked it out and remembered we used to have pine martins and red squirrels years ago, like early 70's then the pine Martins and reds vanished and grey tree rats as I call them appeared. The pine martins are back and the greys have gone so here is hoping the wee reds appear again.
By the way a pine martin is an indigenous animal in Ireland , though they did get almost wiped out.
I've just looked up the program, it was Wild Ireland: The Edge of the World, with Colin Stafford-Johnson.
I don't know if it is still available on iplayer, but certainly worth a watch if it isImage

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Samstew wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Samstew wrote:
Rooster wrote:Pine martins making a return around here despite any actual pine trees and whether it is coincidence or not grey squirrels seem to have vanished :scratch:
I watched a nature program on BBC2 the other weekend, some guy in a boat on the West coast, anyway, among different things covered, he mentioned the return of Pine Martins and the positive effect this had on the red squirrel population and the negative effect on the grey squirrel population.
Indigenous creatures, for once, benefitting at the expense of non indigenous Image

Interesting as I checked it out and remembered we used to have pine martins and red squirrels years ago, like early 70's then the pine Martins and reds vanished and grey tree rats as I call them appeared. The pine martins are back and the greys have gone so here is hoping the wee reds appear again.
By the way a pine martin is an indigenous animal in Ireland , though they did get almost wiped out.
I've just looked up the program, it was Wild Ireland: The Edge of the World, with Colin Stafford-Johnson.
I don't know if it is still available on iplayer, but certainly worth a watch if it isImage

Links for both are posted on "What are you watching" thread, about 2 weeks for 1 and 3 for 2 left to go, forgot he mentioned pine martins in that programme
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Samstew wrote:

Is Nucifera taking the credit?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Spanish Swallowtail butterfly
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Nice Merv.

I'm just back from guarding old Derry's walls this weekend, in my sister in law's garden I saw a robin, greenfinches and a raven.... mind you I'm not overly fond of birds other than a well-roasted chicken or duck.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I’ve never knowingly eaten giraffe. Skinning and cleaning it would take ages.
Captured two fantastic fillet steaks from Corries yesterday. No cleaning required, apart from the hob after cooking.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Samstew wrote:

Can't swear to this but I saw Tony Robinson on his coast to coast trip upt'nawth of England chatting to a warden who is looking after a resurgent population of red squirrels. If I recall correctly he said the pine martins, also resurgent, were slaughtering grey squirrels but they had a close link to red squirrels in their DNA and didn't prey on them.
I used to go to Scotland on my holidays and one of the great thrills was to witness grey squirrels.
Being from here I had only read about these mythical creatures and assumed they had been banned from Ireland by St Patrick along with snakes.
However beiing a life long member of the Tufty club,( (Giant red squirrel that taught Road safety to children in the 70s), my loyalist tendencies went with the red squirrel.
However I soon came to realise that the grey ones were, 'the nazis of the forest' as they were once described I think by Chris Peckham.
Great to see these Pine Martins liberating the reds in a General Paton like fashion.
On the behalf of Tufty club members everywhere I wish to nominate them for righteous animal status.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

As I recall, Tufty always used to hang about with weasley ne'er do wells. They were forever getting knocked down by cars and buses. Then PC Badger would amble up and give them a thick ear. Them were the days.

It's was all probably laced with sexism and casual racism :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Around 30 redwings paying their annual visit to the garden today
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:Around 30 redwings paying their annual visit to the garden today
How do you plan to cook them?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:
Rooster wrote:Around 30 redwings paying their annual visit to the garden today
How do you plan to cook them?
Too bloody small to bother with, would be like blackbird pie
Rory Best
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

We had 10 magpies in our garden over the winter, bloody noisy group. They've broken up to mate presumably, only see 4 or 6 in the garden from time to time. Sometimes i wish i had a nice bolt action .22.....

If you're ever at a loose end in Dublin, just to the south side of landsdowne rd, there's a river walkway along the Dodder. Last time i was down, i saw 4 kingfishers in the space of 15 minutes. Great to watch with binoculars.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I saw a red squirrel leg it across the Tandragee Road the other day. Only the second one I have ever seen.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Wonder where the honeymoon is? Could Herbie give them a deal?Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?