Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

promenader 2
Initiate

Re: Biblical matters

Post by promenader 2 »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
promenader 2 wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:Eh?

All I said is that no protestant denomination (speaking generally about Baptist/Pres, CoI) has a church-wide history of child abuse, unlike the RC church. It has nothing to do with theology and doctrine, my point was that the theology of a protestant (in the reformed sense, not bang the drum/march the 12th) and RC differs, therefore to associate them all together under a Christian umbrella is incorrect
Are you saying Catholics are not Christians?
As a generalisation, it depends on what you mean by Catholic and Christian
Yes, I suppose it's a bit like when a rock band splits and there's a row over who has the rights to the name. Thus, Jeff Lynne has to call his band 'Jeff Lynne's ELO' rather than simply 'ELO' because of legal sensitivities around the brand. The only difference, probably, is that rock bands have more relevance in modern society. Most sensible people couldn't care less about the contrived doctrinal differences between one set of bible-bashers and another.
BTW, I'm curious why you mention Henry VIII in the context of a religious schism. I was taught that he separated from the Church of Rome because he wanted to divorce his missus?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

In rock band terms splits from the "one true Church" are akin to Ringo leaving the Beatles and claiming rights to the name :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote:Which of those do RCs not believe?

I'm not sure what you mean by affiliated? Are saying there are no case of sexual abuse in protestant churches?
In regard to your last question, of course there are cases of sexual abuse within Protestant churches. But sadly when you think of child abuse in the church your mind will go to the Roman Catholic church. There was even a movie made about it. And i’m not trying to be divisive but it is factual

In regards to the theological differences between Roman Catholics and Protestants you should read about the reformation. As a historical event it is quite interesting

In brief (and probably not 100% accurate),

Christ crucified and the early church established - Acts 11 says the first disciples/Christians were then named christians (actually as a derogetory term). First Catholic (as in worldwide) church established in Antioch

Rome gets involved (hence RC) over 1400 years or so

October 1517 Martin Luther, a priest/monk brought up in the RC church challenged the teachings of the roman papacy, comes up with 95 points about why the Roman Catholic church is wrong and nails it to his monestries door. This is the Protestant reformation - protesting the doctrine of the Catholic church. It spread throughout Europe - Henry VIII split the CoI from Rome and so on and is still celebrated quite widely today among Protestant churches

If the doctrine between RC and Protestants were the same there would have been no reformation

The main difference are the “5 solas”, which came from the reformation. Protestant went back to biblical roots

Sola Scriptura - Scripture alone
Solus Christus - Christ alone
Sola Gratia - Grace alone
Sola Fide - Faith alone
Soli Deo Gloria - to the glory of God alone

Those are probably a good summary of theological/doctrinal differences. I’m sure if you went searching you can find something which articulates a response much better

Hope that clears it up
That doesn't answer my question. Which of those main tenants of Christianity that I originally posted do not apply to Roman Catholicism?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

All Christians follow Christ. The details of how they do it don't change that. Anybody who does not follow Christ is not a Christian. Simples.

As for the basic tenets Dave has outlined - They certainly apply to RC's.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:All Christians follow Christ. The details of how they do it don't change that. Anybody who does not follow Christ is not a Christian. Simples.

As for the basic tenets Dave has outlined - They certainly apply to RC's.
Can you use the band name if you follow his teachings but reject his divinity?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:Can you use the band name if you follow his teachings but reject his divinity?
Jesus or Ringo?

Peace and luv, peace and luv! :flower:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by affiliated? Are saying there are no case of sexual abuse in protestant churches?
In regard to your last question, of course there are cases of sexual abuse within Protestant churches. But sadly when you think of child abuse in the church your mind will go to the Roman Catholic church. There was even a movie made about it. And i’m not trying to be divisive but it is factual

In regards to the theological differences between Roman Catholics and Protestants you should read about the reformation. As a historical event it is quite interesting

Christ crucified and the early church established - Acts 11 says the first disciples/Christians were then named christians (actually as a derogetory term). First Catholic (as in worldwide) church established in Antioch

October 1517 Martin Luther, a priest/monk brought up in the RC church challenged the teachings of the roman papacy, comes up with 95 points about why the Roman Catholic church is wrong and nails it to his monestries door. This is the Protestant reformation - protesting the doctrine of the Catholic church. It spread throughout Europe - Henry VIII split the CoI from Rome and so on and is still celebrated quite widely today among Protestant churches

If the doctrine between RC and Protestants were the same there would have been no reformation

The main difference are the “5 solas”, which came from the reformation. Protestant went back to biblical roots

Sola Fide - Faith alone

Those are probably a good summary of theological/doctrinal differences. I’m sure if you went searching you can find something which articulates a response much better

Hope that clears it up
That doesn't answer my question. Which of those main tenants of Christianity that I originally posted do not apply to Roman Catholicism?
Yes it does, I would have thought someone of your great, rationale, logical mind could have figured that out

I repeat

Sola Fide - Faith alone

For a start they dont believe they go to hell but rather go to purgatory and can effective pay souls in purgatory to get to heaven. So their salvation is not solus Christus or Sola Gratia

Their bible is different so not sola Scriptura

Solus Christus also opposes the office of pope
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

You haven't answered my question about Henry VIII. You stated 'Henry VIII split the CoI from Rome and so on and is still celebrated quite widely today among Protestant churches'. Why is he still celebrated among Protestant churches? To my knowledge, he didn't have any theological differences with the church of Rome, but simply wanted a route to get rid of a wife who wasn't providing him with male heirs.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Youse are spitting hairs lads. There's much bigger theological debates out there. Such as, who's more Pradestant, Mooslims or Hindoos and whose flegs should leylists be buying, India's or Pakistan's?
Big Neville Southall
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

big mervyn wrote:Youse are spitting hairs lads. There's much bigger theological debates out there. Such as, who's more Pradestant, Mooslims or Hindoos and whose flegs should leylists be buying, India's or Pakistan's?
Have you seen the colour of thon Indian fleg? Can't see that fluttering from the lamp posts on Sandy Row :shock:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

promenader 2 wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Youse are spitting hairs lads. There's much bigger theological debates out there. Such as, who's more Pradestant, Mooslims or Hindoos and whose flegs should leylists be buying, India's or Pakistan's?
Have you seen the colour of thon Indian fleg? Can't see that fluttering from the lamp posts on Sandy Row :shock:
The Pakistan wan isn't great either :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:

Sola Fide - Faith alone

Hope that clears it up
Yes it does, I would have thought someone of your great, rationale, logical mind could have figured that out

I repeat

Sola Fide - Faith alone

For a start they dont believe they go to hell but rather go to purgatory and can effective pay souls in purgatory to get to heaven. So their salvation is not solus Christus or Sola Gratia

Their bible is different so not sola Scriptura

Solus Christus also opposes the office of pope
I understand there are differences.

You had asked what my definition of a Christian was and I explained.

It's perfectly appropriate to use the term Christian as an umbrella term.

This tree below demonstrates:

(I hope it's large enough to read)
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote: Can you use the band name if you follow his teachings but reject his divinity?
My opinion is that one could definitely follow some of the teachings of the individual known as Jesus and refer to oneself as a Christian validly without requiring that figure to be divine. Indeed one could follow them without having any requirement for a belief in a supreme being of any type.

The word "some" is not a problem here though as there is nobody who follows all his teachings in thought or deed. Anyone who claims otherwise is setting themselves up as being superior to Jesus himself and thereby arguably anti-Christian, bound as all humans are by imperfection.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Auld Jesus must be a bit bemused when he thinks of all those different groups within Christianity and especially at those who think their membership of one of those groups somehow makes them a better Christian than some other poor fecker in one of the other groups who thinks similarly. As said earlier - Human imperfection. :D
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:Auld Jesus must be a bit bemused when he thinks of all those different groups within Christianity and especially at those who think their membership of one of those groups somehow makes them a better Christian than some other poor fecker in one of the other groups who thinks similarly. As said earlier - Human imperfection. :D
I wonder which is his favourite though, he's bound to have a sneaky fave. Free Ps maybe?