Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Biblical matters

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cracker wrote:Excuse me for asking but what has all this to do with rugby?
Nothing whatsoever Cracker, it was opened by me in the wrong place, maybe some kindly moderator might move it into the back room where it should be.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Is this even a rugby forum?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:Is this even a rugby forum?
Nope. Just fer bitchin'.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Shan wrote: But I think your issue is with humans who believe in a vengeful supreme being and are happy and willing to act on its behalf to mete out the justice they deem in alignment with its alleged position. It is just another one of many human failings. I'd be loathe to allow humans to escape the blame for their own shortcomings. Humans are responsible for their own actions, whether they submit to a deity or not.

Well I didn't have to wait long for someone to put their hand up to claim "Rancid c-nt of the year" He is basically salivating over the murders of 50 people. Poor old Jesus died for specimens like this. I reckon he is overjoyed at his return on investment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxj8y5ctmiE
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Shan wrote: But I think your issue is with humans who believe in a vengeful supreme being and are happy and willing to act on its behalf to mete out the justice they deem in alignment with its alleged position. It is just another one of many human failings. I'd be loathe to allow humans to escape the blame for their own shortcomings. Humans are responsible for their own actions, whether they submit to a deity or not.

Well I didn't have to wait long for someone to put their hand up to claim "Rancid c-nt of the year" He is basically salivating over the murders of 50 people. Poor old Jesus died for specimens like this. I reckon he is overjoyed at his return on investment.

That moron does not speak for Christianity any more that Omar Mateen speaks for Islam. He is an big0t with access to the internet and a camera.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:

That moron does not speak for Christianity any more that Omar Mateen speaks for Islam. He is an big0t with access to the internet and a camera.

I looked at that video for the first time this morning to avoid a heart attack had I done so nearer the event. The thing is it takes very little effort to find countless similar pastors, quoting the bible and justifying glorying in the deaths of the people in the club, one snappily dressed clown saying that he had "prayed to God to finish of the sodomite paedophiles who were injured in hospital".

Why are so many religious people such hate mongers, whilst talking about their loving God in the next breath?

For balance, another pastor who looked like a stereotypical biker, whilst not approving of the lifestyle of the people killed said those who "gloried" in the deaths were utterly wrong.

I feel I must reassess my views of America and may well have to strike it off the few remaining places I am prepared to travel to.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Shan wrote:

I looked at that video for the first time this morning to avoid a heart attack had I done so nearer the event. The thing is it takes very little effort to find countless similar pastors, quoting the bible and justifying glorying in the deaths of the people in the club, one snappily dressed clown saying that he had "prayed to God to finish of the sodomite paedophiles who were injured in hospital".

Why are so many religious people such hate mongers, whilst talking about their loving God in the next breath?

For balance, another pastor who looked like a stereotypical biker, whilst not approving of the lifestyle of the people killed said those who "gloried" in the deaths were utterly wrong.

I feel I must reassess my views of America and may well have to strike it off the few remaining places I am prepared to travel to.
Try this one instead :thumleft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4inc7DTumQ
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I actually started shaking with rage when I saw that one yesterday, he is the one I mentioned praying for the deaths of survivors. That he feels his hateful rhetoric is a religious view that would please his god would be bad enough if he was a drunk in a bar, but a "pastor" who is sought out by mainstream media - well I find him disgusting.

I assume our mentalists like Ron'n are appalled by him? I wish I could feel more certain that they do.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I actually started shaking with rage when I saw that one yesterday, he is the one I mentioned praying for the deaths of survivors. That he feels his hateful rhetoric is a religious view that would please his god would be bad enough if he was a drunk in a bar, but a "pastor" who is sought out by mainstream media - well I find him disgusting.

I assume our mentalists like Ron'n are appalled by him? I wish I could feel more certain that they do.
They worship a "god" who considers an eternity on fire as a suitable punishment for unbelief. I reckon god, if real, would be like Jeremy Corbyn during the referendum. He hasn't done enough to convince his own people. Created mankind and played the greatest round of hide n seek ever.
Brian Dunn 382
Novice

Post by Brian Dunn 382 »

I hesitate to enter this debate but as one of the "deluded" who considers himself a Christian I thought I would state my opinion - not seeking to persuade anyone. I did not watch the YouTube article because my reaction would be similar to Baggy's. It is easy to call the wrath of God down on any person you disagree with. My bible tells me God loves the world and Jesus in Matthew 22 says love the Lord your God and your neighbour as yourself - on these 2 commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Also Paul in Romans 13 v 8-10 love is the fulfilling of the law and Galatians 5 v 14 all the law is fulfilled in one word - thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.. This isn't meant to be a theological treatise but I often wonder if those spouting hellfire have ever read their bibles outside the verses they want to quote to justify their wrath. I'm not entering into a debate because winning a debate rarely changes minds and does not even mean you were right but just wanted to put my simple viewpoint.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Live and let live is my policy on such affairs.
The late Dave Allen had it spot on when he ended his shows "Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Brian Dunn 382 wrote:I hesitate to enter this debate but as one of the "deluded" who considers himself a Christian I thought I would state my opinion - not seeking to persuade anyone. I did not watch the YouTube article because my reaction would be similar to Baggy's. It is easy to call the wrath of God down on any person you disagree with. My bible tells me God loves the world and Jesus in Matthew 22 says love the Lord your God and your neighbour as yourself - on these 2 commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Also Paul in Romans 13 v 8-10 love is the fulfilling of the law and Galatians 5 v 14 all the law is fulfilled in one word - thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.. This isn't meant to be a theological treatise but I often wonder if those spouting hellfire have ever read their bibles outside the verses they want to quote to justify their wrath. I'm not entering into a debate because winning a debate rarely changes minds and does not even mean you were right but just wanted to put my simple viewpoint.
What are your thoughts on the backrow?
Brian Dunn 382
Novice

Post by Brian Dunn 382 »

I hope our new Saffer would agree with me.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This even a rugby forum?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Brian Dunn 382 wrote:I hesitate to enter this debate but as one of the "deluded" who considers himself a Christian I thought I would state my opinion - not seeking to persuade anyone. I did not watch the YouTube article because my reaction would be similar to Baggy's. It is easy to call the wrath of God down on any person you disagree with. My bible tells me God loves the world and Jesus in Matthew 22 says love the Lord your God and your neighbour as yourself - on these 2 commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Also Paul in Romans 13 v 8-10 love is the fulfilling of the law and Galatians 5 v 14 all the law is fulfilled in one word - thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.. This isn't meant to be a theological treatise but I often wonder if those spouting hellfire have ever read their bibles outside the verses they want to quote to justify their wrath. I'm not entering into a debate because winning a debate rarely changes minds and does not even mean you were right but just wanted to put my simple viewpoint.
There does not seem to be love for anyone not in the club. Even if a Christian is not preaching hell, fire and brimstone, they still have ascribed to a religion that has punishment in "hell" as a main tenant. Seems to me that fear is likely motivator for joining the club. Many aren't allowed in the club at all. LBGTQ community are still shunned by most, not by all I might add. How do you reconcile this with a god of love?