Chilcot Report

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Chilcot Report

Post by BR »

I'm just amazed Coochie could spell 'dossier'.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:Note Rooster the Shah put up his oil prices 5 times the amount in reaction to the Western interference with the Arab Israeli wars on the side of the Israelites.

Because their strict religion was minimalist they made more money than they knew what to do with and ironically took advantage of the deregulation of the western banks and invested their vast wealth in them

In a nutshell it was Arab money that helped build the twin towers and Arabs that knocked them down.

The whole of the history of western influence in the middle east is filled with such hypocrisy and double standards.
The US are scared shitless of the Israelis, through the serious Jewish influence of Goldman Sachs they could close USA down before the end of the week.
As for Iran if they had built up an army and airforce buying lots of US arms then they would probably be in with Saudi Arabia in the US asslicking stakes, instead the Shah went for long term investments in the US and around the world, he had his head screwed on and a vision to turn Iran into a wealthy country like it had been hundreds of years previously.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:Note Rooster the Shah put up his oil prices 5 times the amount in reaction to the Western interference with the Arab Israeli wars on the side of the Israelites.

Because their strict religion was minimalist they made more money than they knew what to do with and ironically took advantage of the deregulation of the western banks and invested their vast wealth in them

In a nutshell it was Arab money that helped build the twin towers and Arabs that knocked them down.

The whole of the history of western influence in the middle east is filled with such hypocrisy and double standards.
The US are scared shitless of the Israelis, through the serious Jewish influence of Goldman Sachs they could close USA down before the end of the week.
As for Iran if they had built up an army and airforce buying lots of US arms then they would probably be in with Saudi Arabia in the US asslicking stakes, instead the Shah went for long term investments in the US and around the world, he had his head screwed on and a vision to turn Iran into a wealthy country like it had been hundreds of years previously.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Ever westerner thinking they are on the side of 'good' should be forced to watch Alan Curtis's "Bitter Lake" on BBC Iplayer.
One of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen.
They were on the side of oil & Halliburton , that is why we invaded Iraq & that is why "Yo Blair"looks an arsehole. America never intervenes in areas where they do not have a strategic interest, the notion of "doing good" is bother spurious & specious at the same time.

More generally the USA needed someone to give a kicking after 9/11, they just chose a bad guy in the general region where "terror" had come from. It's an irony that the Bush family are thick as thieves with the Saudi royal family & that without exception the 9/11 terrorists were all Saudi nationals, as indeed was old Beardie in the cave in Afghanistan/compound in Pakistan.

It's actually not ironic but outrageous that we continue to regard the Saudis as allies whilst they fund ISIS and any anti-Shia terror they can find. We stand by and wring our hands whilst their agents in ISIS burn, rape, enslave, behead, stone or hang men women & children.

I have never heard one cogent argument as to why we tolerate them as "friends", well that is not strictly true, the USA interest has been oil, specifically stability of the supply & price, since they recognised Saudi in the 30s. UK are allies of Saudi simply because we are America's lackey.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Bush was asked why he wanted take out Saddam and he replied that it's because he tried to kill his Daddy.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Further to my post earlier, I've just read some letters to the Guardian on Chilcot,. This one seems to justify absolutely why the war started and furthermore dispels, the idea there was no plan for after the fighting was over, that the Seppos actively wished to encourage a chaotic country devoid of cohesion & neutered as a country.

Jesus, if ever the expression "be careful what you wish for" was applicable. :duh: :duh: :duh: Result: massive sectarian strife in addition to a wish to strike at the West in general.

Given the horrors France have experienced is ironic that they refused to join the war, and were hate figures in redneck America, occasioning Billie Joe Armstrong to write the immortal song "Holiday" including the lyrics: "Pulverize the Eiffel towers,Who criticize your government".

Odd, maybe the regheeds don't listen to punk bands.

Edit: suppose I could have actually let you read it. :oops:
In the wake of the Chilcot report, I thought I would add to the evidence that the UK was largely impotent when it came to influencing the events that led to the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. A month after 9/11 I was invited to attend and speak at a meeting of senior business leaders in New York. The meeting went ahead as a show of defiance to the terrorists. Members of the group came from North America and the UK and were chairs of Fortune 500 companies or held a similar rank.

On the final day of the meeting, we were addressed by General Wes Clark, then very senior in the Pentagon and to become a Democratic presidential candidate in 2004. In this closed-door session we were given the details of forthcoming invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq by US and other forces. We were told outline strategies, troop numbers and dates which were being rapidly set in place. We were told that there were no contingency plans for what would happen to Iraq after the invasion, except that US policy was to leave it unstable and chaotic so that it did not pose a powerful threat in the region, and the US could control the oil assets and establish a large forward military base in Iraq.

At the end of the briefing the room was silent apart from one question on the effect on oil prices from the chair of one of the world’s largest oil companies. It was clear that these two invasions would go ahead and that discussions that might take place in wider society, local or global, would be minor distractions to the plan, which already had enormous momentum in terms of planning, resources and support across the political-military establishment in the US. The seduction of UK prime ministers by the US has been the norm since the end of the second world war, and Blair was just the latest victim. The only PM not to be quite so seduced was Harold Wilson.

Dr Malcolm McIntosh
Author, Managing Britain’s Defence
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Further to my post earlier, I've just read some letters to the Guardian on Chilcot,. This one seems to justify absolutely why the war started and furthermore dispels, the idea there was no plan for after the fighting was over, that the Seppos actively wished to encourage a chaotic country devoid of cohesion & neutered as a country.

Jesus, if ever the expression "be careful what you wish for" was applicable. :duh: :duh: :duh: Result: massive sectarian strife in addition to a wish to strike at the West in general.

Given the horrors France have experienced is ironic that they refused to join the war, and were hate figures in redneck America, occasioning Billie Joe Armstrong to write the immortal song "Holiday" including the lyrics: "Pulverize the Eiffel towers,Who criticize your government".

Odd, maybe the regheeds don't listen to punk bands.
Libya was the same they ran through so quickly they didn't destroy the arms dumps so the tribes just armed themselves behind the allied forces, claim was they didn't have time to decommission the dumps as they had to check what was in them first, a decent charge in the middle of it and let her rip was what they should have done as there was nothing in the vicinity to damage anyway.
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The one man who has been somewhat forgotten in all of this. Possibly the last great statesman the UK had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0f8NBlmwwE
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

A good speech and one that sounds so well founded & principled given what we now know.