First Brexit ... now this

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

First Brexit ... now this

Post by big mervyn »

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: First Brexit ... now this

Post by Rooster »

When you look down the rest of the list it won by default :lol: :lol: :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:When you look down the rest of the list it won by default :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's not much quality there right enough.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Broken Britain.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Not a fan of Mrs Browns Boys, its just not funny :roll:

A lot of the rest on the list aren't great either - not a patch on old school comedies like Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and Father Ted :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote:Not a fan of Mrs Browns Boys, its just not funny :roll:

A lot of the rest on the list aren't great either - not a patch on old school comedies like Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and Father Ted :D
Not British, but the Phil Silvers Show has never been bettered imho. 50 years old and still absolutely brilliant.

I quite like Friday Night Dinner currently on Ch4.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Not a fan of Mrs Browns Boys, its just not funny :roll:

Not British, but the Phil Silvers Show has never been bettered imho. 50 years old and still absolutely brilliant.

I quite like Friday Night Dinner currently on Ch4.
Only Fools and Horses and Porridge were the pinnacle of all British sitcoms for me and should be added to that list.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Have to say this is a heart warming decision, lovely to see little England still finds time to laugh at the Paddies.

Mrs Brown a true reflection of Irish family life and indeed becoming more of a truism in recent years with 3 & 4 generations of Patrick's huddled under wan roof, barely room for the pigs.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Ah here now. There's some decent picks on that list. These sorts of things are obviously really subjective - I think The Office was great, you may disagree, but by way of consensus of what is on the list that anyone has seen was any of it worse than Mrs Brown's Boys? Nothing that I've seen can touch it in that regard. Utterly awful.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

The Office was a work of genius Yin. Bit dubious about the upcoming fillum though - has a sitcom ever successfully made that transition? I can't think of one.

Several on that list aren't really sitcoms in the true sense.
Big Neville Southall
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I thought Yes Minister and Yes PM were good and still very apt for today.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:I thought Yes Minister and Yes PM were good and still very apt for today.
Good shout Cockers. The decent stuff is starting to stack up.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:I thought Yes Minister and Yes PM were good and still very apt for today.
Good shout Cockers. The decent stuff is starting to stack up.
Most of it last century though.
Steptoe and Son, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads and Rising Damp are all still quite superb when you watch the reruns.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

This thread clearly shows most here are a shower of begrudging Nordie ballixes you think culture is a wee flute band or what grows in your yogurt (pronounced yoogert by that nice Mrs Brown)

How a good republican like Shan or D4 can stand you narrow minded people is beyond me. Special congratulations to D4 as the co-producers RTE are fellow D4 residents. Very well done D4. :cheers:

I truly love everything Brendan O'Carroll does, a true Irish legend. His seminal portrayal of a funeral carriage driver in the filim of Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes showed his vast range of acting talent, his books including the wonderful The Mammy should be held as a triumph of one wee shortarse against the literary world.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Office was cringe humour it was too close to the truth to be classed as funny Ha Ha

Mrs Brown is a parody and flies in the face of the PC brigade and can do so because its not meant to a reflection of English standards but Irish but it reflects what the Brits would love to get away with if they could.

Like wise it has the odd classic old joke rehashed and LOL I seldom LOL at the office in fact I don't think I ever did but the Office was as I say too close to really funny.

Fools and Horses was with out doubt class as was Father Ted because you laughed at the characters themselves rather than those the characters belittled which was the bases of the humour in Blackadder
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist