Belfast restaurants

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Belfast restaurants

Post by BR »

Red Panda food is ok, but service is a joke; verging on offensive. Won't darken their door again.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Anyone got a recommendation for decent oysters on the north coast?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neil F wrote:Anyone got a recommendation for decent oysters on the north coast?
The wee poke van in West Strand car park.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Anybody been to the new place on the Upper Newtownards Road, beside the Fire Station? I think it's called Cyprus Avenue.

I believe The Point has had a name change to The Stokers something or other. Has anything else about it changed?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Cyprus Avenue is good. Run by the former chef in Balloo House, so expect similar fare as you would in any of Danny Millar establishment. Should do well in Ballyhack. Havent been to the Stokers Halt but it appears to have jumped on the bandwagon of making its furniture out of old pallets. Not sure if this means the bonny will be smaller this year or not. I know a few people who go there occasionally, who wouldn't have gone into the Point so assume the clientele is slightly more Ballyhack than Lower N'ards road.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

solidarity wrote:Anybody been to the new place on the Upper Newtownards Road, beside the Fire Station? I think it's called Cyprus Avenue.

I believe The Point has had a name change to The Stokers something or other. Has anything else about it changed?
The Stokers Halt.

Stokers seems to have changed considerably from when it was "The Point" not just in décor but it feels to have shaken off the impression of being where the local "boys" hang out. We went in after the Ulster v Glasgow Saturday home match and the place was buzzing with Ulster fans enjoying a post-match drink or two. We'd been in Todds first to avail of a free pint by showing our match tickets and Todds was very quiet by comparison. Have also been there on the occasional Friday evening - Ken Haddock has a residency between 6pm and 8pm and is always entertaining. I can't speak for the food but the atmosphere and drink are fine. :stout:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BR wrote:Red Panda food is ok, but service is a joke; verging on offensive. Won't darken their door again.
I'm not sure they'll let us back in... >burp
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote:
BR wrote:Red Panda food is ok, but service is a joke; verging on offensive. Won't darken their door again.
I'm not sure they'll let us back in... >burp
So this is all about you then is it (with a bit of Indian,Chinese artistic licence)?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2a-CVGbUUjQ
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well we wouldn't be rude but we may have been the sleepy one. Early flight over after a long week...!
bassbostoncup
Novice

Post by bassbostoncup »

Cyprus Avenue is dead on unless you fancy somethin' to eat.

Stokers Halt has come on leaps and bounds since yer man West ran/owned The Point. If you'd sang 'Ireland' before an international in the old place you'd have been shat. Solid pub grub with a few twists, live bands and very mixed clientele. Les kiss in the other weekend there was no game.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If a restaurants is dead then your in the wrong company or boring friends . I go to a restaurant to eat and maybe talk a bit, and enjoy the company of friends, or appease to wife, as long as there is a reasonable choice of food, well cooked ,served up hygienically, then there is nothing to complain about.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

If you're interested in something different to the city centre/Stranmillis/Lisburn Road/Ballyhack lot, then take a look at Pizza Piccolo on the Cregagh Road. It used to be Clemson's, and is now run by a young Italian chef and his Australian wife/partner. The place still does a mean SUFTUM fry but the thing to go and try is the (very short) Italian menu in the evenings (it's effectively his Mum's home cooking). Also a couple of doors down is Fusco's ice cream shop if you don't want one of the PP pastries/desserts. Doesn't have a licence so BYO (I recall).
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

First time in Molly's Yard for a few years.

Nice buzz about the place upstairs on Saturday night.

Enjoyable evening. Liked the way they had local goat on the menu.

Not convinced by the Asian twist they try and give to many of the dishes.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Been a long time but finally had a chance to spend a free weekend in Belfast. Visited a few of the places already discussed here, so forgive the double posting.

Lunch in the John Hewitt is much as I remember. Still a nice place. Had been worried by how often the place crops up in magazines, etc. Made in Belfast was alright but I have the feeling that these "shabby chic" gastropubs are basically this generation's TGI Fridays and/or Hard Rock Cafe... Really enjoyed the Mourne Seafood Company. Great food for a decent price. Pretty sure the burrito at Boojum poisoned us. And it was rolled weird. Far too much rice on one side and too much beans on the other... The fry at Brights is great. The one at Maggie Mays would have been, had it not been for the fact that whole thing was covered in bloody baked beans!

If what we experienced is representative, OX is the real deal. Great food, fairly imaginative menu and great wine. As was said by others earlier in this thread, I've also been to one star places that weren't as good (although I've also been to some that cost less!). James Street South has some way to go, though. Lacked the imagination of OX. Everything was wonderfully prepared but it was basically a long slow death by truffle. Some of the wine didn't pair too well, either. Quite a big disappointment, all truth told.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Jeepers that was some weekend!