Best Destination you've ever been to?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Re: Best Destination you've ever been to?

Post by mid ulster maestro »

An even more comfortable 16.5C in showery mid Ulster.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Hottest my car has ever said is 56.5

Of course the qatari government said the temperature was 49.9 as above that they have to give the labourers time off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

In my quest to find the perfect Spanish village I've booked a couple of nights in Lanjaron in the Alpujarras, the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, It's over 4000 feet up so the temperatures will more than likely be in the 20s, about 10-15 degrees lower than Granada 30 minutes drive away, where of course I will be going afterwards.

Has anyone been to Granada and can recommend any restaurants, I have three favourites, Pinot Noir & Tinta Fina on Calle Ganivet & Sibarius on Bib Rambla where a few of the waiters now come and shake hands as I'm a semi-regular. :D Love them almost equally but wouldn't mind trying somewhere new.

Suppose whilst I'm at it, anyone been to Lanjaron and got any dinner suggestions?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Hottest my car has ever said is 56.5

Of course the qatari government said the temperature was 49.9 as above that they have to give the labourers time off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Beats my Death Valley 55 degrees and that was painful on my baldy cranium when I got out. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Never been. Just drunk their agua sin gas.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Never been. Just drunk their agua sin gas.
Aye, it's my agua of choice, Merv. I'm worried about becoming incontinent, they say you can't escape the sound of running water in the town, plays merry hell on an ould lad's bladder.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

In Nice last week. Lovely city and hope to visit it again.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Northern Pakistan a couple of weeks ago. Himalayas, Indus valley. Now I know what 'awesome' really means.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote:Northern Pakistan a couple of weeks ago. Himalayas, Indus valley. Now I know what 'awesome' really means.
Lovely part of the world Solids despite what the western media would make you think. Lived in Nepal many years ago, nothing better than opening your bedroom curtains in the morning and staring out at those dam mountains.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My father ended up in India during WWII in the RAF, attacking the Japanese in SE Asia. He wasn't repatriated until 1947 and took a trip to the foothills with an Indian friend. There it is Everest the guy said. Where said me Da, I can't see it? Look up the guy said. My father was expecting to see it in the middle distance as you would here, instead he has to look far higher.

Sounds great Soluds, give me a shout when you are back if you fancy a coffee and a chat, sound like you'll have plenty to take about. :thumleft:

Fuuny my spalling is inversely crap when multiplied by my inside leg & divided by the number of limes in my gin glass. I suspect my head may not be greta in the moaning. pip pip.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Should be back by mid August, in time for the first pre-season friendly (when is it by the way and against whom?) We also saw some serious 'cool'. Waiting for our luggage to come off the plane (delayed 24 hrs due to low cloud -the airport has no radar) sweltering in the heat, there was a bloke with goggles and cold weather gear. Could have been a mountaineer, which would have been cool enough, but along the luggage belt came his skis! Midsummer skiing in the Himalayas- how cool is that? Seemingly the infamous Swat valley is being reopened for skiing.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Sri Lanka - especially when on freebies.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Never been. Just drunk their agua sin gas.
Lanjarron was a nice wee town Merv and even in the hear there were water fountains dotted around the town for you to stick yer bake under and gulp down cold local produce.

If ever in the direction of Granada, the Alpujarras are quite magnificent countryside. There are 3 villages high up in one of many valleys, the highest is Pampaneira & Mrs T and I have resolved to return there for a couple of nights next year to just chill completely and enjoy doing very little but eat drink & dander. Might even get the dander up myself, though always aware that at altitude and old cove must be cautious. >EW
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

By the way 9, where did you go and was it cracker or do you wish you'd taken out advice? :D
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:By the way 9, where did you go and was it cracker or do you wish you'd taken out advice? :D
Baggy like all best laid plans they never came to fruition, I was offered a few extra pound to hang about at work as we were/are going through a few growing pains. I'll kick myself in years to come no doubt.

Glad though that it did end up sparking a good conversation.

Managed a not so long break to a beautiful little spot in Italy called Volterra and did a bit of traveling around Tuscany, if you haven't fully committed to disappearing to Spain just yet I'd seriously look at it. Many an expat can be found and a lovely change to the pace of life.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18