Best Destination you've ever been to?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Best Destination you've ever been to?

Post by Russ »

Not to be pedantic but Vegas isn't what you think it is

You all went to Paradise

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I've never been to me.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Not to be pedantic but Vegas isn't what you think it is

You all went to Paradise

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Nah, I went to a briefly entertaining spot for a touch of hedonism, which very quickly grows ............... just annoying & infinitely tacky. 157 miles up and off I15 lies Zion National Park, that is much closer to Paradise. Get in the river and walk a slap of miles up a magnificent slot canyon.

Compare that to a cheap (looking, but tres expensive) remake of St Mark's Square, you'd need to have had your heart & soul surgically removed to plump for Vegas.

Hairy if you do go to Vegas it's worth a trip to the Grand Canyon and if the budget allows a helicopter trip over the canyon. If you do, be careful to book with a company who have all front facing seats, first time I did it I was one of the two who got a rear facing seat which is massively disappointing, seeing things as you pass them rather than seeing all before you. I had to go back & the second trip was fantastic.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:I've never been to me.
Poor Charlene ........................

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot SPOT
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot ...........

and called it Las Vegas
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Late last night I heard the screen door slam, and a pi$h yelly taxi took away Andi Kyriacou
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I went to Las Vegas for ten nights for my 40th.

Loved it.

Went kayaking and horse riding, saw the Million Dollar Quartet and one of those adult circus shows.

Think my other half liked the shooting range best although she did manage to take out the wire that ran the target up and down my lane >6shooter
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cant say I have a particular one. I was in the USA for my honeymoon over the summer with 10 nights in Orlando and 5 nights in NYC. I loved it. Orlando was great, went to Clearwater and it was great. NYC was just wow though.

I also love Paris though.

So far have trips to Dubrovnik and Nice planned this year.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:Cant say I have a particular one. I was in the USA for my honeymoon over the summer with 10 nights in Orlando and 5 nights in NYC. I loved it. Orlando was great, went to Clearwater and it was great. NYC was just wow though.

Dubrovnik is first rate, you will like it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

eeyore wrote:Any of you ever been to Stockholm? Have the opportunity to go this year and can choose winter or summer.
Spent a day in Stockholm in July as part of a Baltic Cruise. Lovely place ; Mrs Tighty mightily impressed and we plan to visit again.

An ex colleague was also there in early December and loved it.

Like most Baltic countries however it can be pricey
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

damianmcr wrote:Cant say I have a particular one. I was in the USA for my honeymoon over the summer with 10 nights in Orlando and 5 nights in NYC. I loved it. Orlando was great, went to Clearwater and it was great. NYC was just wow though.

two good spots.

Can pop over to Monaco from Nice on the train for the day. Bizarrly I remember going to an aquarium there of all things and thinking it was totally amazing although that was a while back... One of the neatest things i have ever done is a lap of the gorge du verdon - about 2 hours from Nice. Spectacular drive along the edge of the gorge and you can can hire kayaks to go down the river - bloody amazing in summer. SOme stunning little villages up there too. Old town of Nice is very cool.

Dubrovnik is neat but again a wee road trip is worth it if you like to explore. Plitvice lakes are about 2-3 hours away. Always rains but stunning water falls and walks if you're into that kinda thing - something a bit different. We did a wee road trip up to Trogir and Plitvice and an island called Bol I think - one of the best holidays we ever had. Sooo chilled.

Enjoy.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Looks like we've got the honeymoon sorted.

A wine tasting tour - Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.

Might have got married earlier if I'd known that was on the cards!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:Looks like we've got the honeymoon sorted.

Great call Justin, as long as you like good meat you'll be in carnivore heaven. The Wine is just a bonus.

Chile for wine, Argentina for beef, Uruguay - so what it's not illegal.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I can binge on dead animals as well as the next man.

I was hoping to get to Fray Bentos to pay tribute to their contribution to the British war efforts over the years but things haven't been the same since a few Jocks were inadvertently poisoned in the '60s.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Looks like we've got the honeymoon sorted.

Great call Justin, as long as you like good meat you'll be in carnivore heaven. The Wine is just a bonus.

Chile for wine, Argentina for beef, Uruguay - so what it's not illegal.
Argentina is possibly the worst place I've ever been as a vegetarian. One particular incident stands out. After 20 minutes of a friend and I explaining what we ate and what we didn't, the waitress finally got the idea and agreed she could get the chef to make a sandwich without meat in it. She went to the kitchen. Came back 15 minutes later with a sausage and cheese sandwich and said, "Well, I told the chef and he said it wouldn't taste good without the meat." In fairness, the chef probably had a point but still... Worst part of it was that our meat-eating friends received a shoulder of beef that smelled just about perfect and looked like something out of the Flintstones.

Actually, Kyrgyzstan and Liberia might be worse. In Liberia, my soup was "vegetarian" because it had vegetables along with the meat. In Kyrgyzstan, they killed a sheep to honour my coming... Really, I'm not sure why I bother!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Sounds like they were just struggling with the concept, Neil (and who could blame them). At least it's not like France where the idea is understood, but even the word vegetarian is spoken in disgust similar to paedophile.
www.stoutboys.co.uk