Rick Parfitt RIP

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Rick Parfitt RIP

Post by Snipe Watson »

The Christmas scud hits again.
Rick Parfitt was a great old school rocker. I've seen Quo half a dozen times and they never disappointed.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rick Parfitt RIP

Post by Rooster »

2016 has been a real tom kite year for famous people
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:2016 has been a real tom kite year for famous people
Not be great for me either, dickheads voted for BRexit, dickheaded rednecks vote for Trump, Mrs Arlene Fascist has cost us all several hundred millions of pounds and had the neck on her when asked by Nolan did she not think she should have followed up on the whistleblower, "why should I?" and of course on the personal front my meagre stipend is being rendered useless by the demise of the pound & I have currently totalled 21 weeks of migraine this year & still counting.

So, you'll have to forgive me if I don't worry too much about "famous people".

Incidentally, I had played squash at Maysfield one night & we were heading for the showers when who walked past? Non other than Messrs Parfitt & Rossi on their way to the stage to entertain the great unwashed, perhaps even Snipe.

Sympathies to Mr Parfitt for missing his turkey dinner. >ESAD
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Yes RIP..... seen them several times even on their Farewell Tour in early 80's if not mistaken, wasn't that a lie and a half. Met him and Rossi on many occasions and shares a few sips.. a photo with him hangs on my wall of frame.. well those I harassed in the days before selfies... You just got love those riffs.. simple and effective.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Yes RIP..... seen them several times even on their Farewell Tour in early 80's if not mistaken, wasn't that a lie and a half. Met him and Rossi on many occasions and shares a few sips.. a photo with him hangs on my wall of frame.. well those I harassed in the days before selfies... You just got love those riffs.. simple and effective.
That was at the '84 Kings Hall gig Cockers, I was there. Antrim Forum 82 was my first Quo.

George Michael dead too
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38432862
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Yes RIP..... seen them several times even on their Farewell Tour in early 80's if not mistaken, wasn't that a lie and a half. Met him and Rossi on many occasions and shares a few sips.. a photo with him hangs on my wall of frame.. well those I harassed in the days before selfies... You just got love those riffs.. simple and effective.
That was at the '84 Kings Hall gig Cockers, I was there. Antrim Forum 82 was my first Quo.

George Michael dead too
Late 80's early 90's they had another farewell in Maysfield, think it was 3 farewell tours I attended
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Rick Parfitt RIP

Post by Wee Woman »

Ahh George, my heart is broken .

My era, I loved him from the very start and saw him live in 2007. Wee Girly knows all his songs too, she's been indoctrinated since she was on the inside. Can't believe it.

I adored him so I'm absolutely gutted. 53 is no age .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Ach poor George, could never quite work out if he was a tortured soul or didn't give a crap. Seemed a decent bloke all things considered.

I used to compete in a competition called "death wish" with about 25 other ghouls, you scored 100 minus the age of the deceased, so Zsa Zsa Gabor was hardly worth having ..............she was my least concerning death of this week's spate.

Some may find "death wish" an appalling notion ..........but then you didn't have Amy Winehouse as I did the year I was champion. >EW

PS If I were entering Celebrity Death Wish next year, I'd name those three ballixes on the Grand Tour in my squad and hope my luck came in with all three. Nigel Farage would be a good call & I hope some responsible Seppo might assassinate Trump though he'd only be worth 30 points.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Aye. We used to have a Celebrity Deadpool in work. A bloke called Ken (aka Dr Death) invariably won.

Stories emerging do suggest oul George was a very dacent spud indeed. Loads of anonymous donations to worthy causes - that rare case of a celeb who did a lot and genuinely didn't want to talk about it.

Loved thon song and vid he did after being caught in flagrante in the LA trap 2 :salut:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Such a pity George does not deserve a thread of his own.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Such a pity George does not deserve a thread of his own.
He does but no one started it gerry
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:

George Michael dead too
that was the one... first seen them in 1977 and Status Quo Live was and remains one of the finest live albums ever to be released.. raw with no dubbing just like it was was.. the original line up also remains the one and only in my humble opinion.

https://youtu.be/ofn7zhq-dAM
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Such a pity George does not deserve a thread of his own.
Starting threads is your prerogative Gez, don't be shy.

Frankly I'd be happy to open a Dead Celebrity Thread to save everyone the bother of individual threads, they seldom run to more than a page or two, as most people care significantly more for people they know who may have shuffled off their mortal coil this year and joined the choir celestial.

Personally I have two that affected me strongly this year, one a friend, one a relative, both of whom I shed tears for.

As for the well known, with no disrespect intended, George or Rick Parfitt or Bowie or Prince are only of a passing significance and none of them for whom I shed a tear, they are not even close to holding a candle to Nevin Spence and his family,for whom I did, plenty.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Sadly very few outside Ireland will remember Nevin, as the cult of celebrity is a strange beast.

I do wonder if 2016's Deathlist is complete ? Queenie and Phil The Greek are both unwell, there's hopefully quite a few mental Seppos with 50 cals, itching to make a name for themselves and there's sure to be some sad Kardashian type who didn't get a diamond encrusted Maybach from Santa and is feels they cannot face another year without...

Did Rick ever get around to learning that elusive fourth chord?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BREAKING NEWS:

Britney Spears not dead!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right