Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Lurgan Lad »

If I was a betting man I would go for the deal going through parliament, sounds like it will be very tight though and could easily go either way. As for the DUP I think they need to accept that the deal is probably the best we were going to get.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:56 pm If I was a betting man I would go for the deal going through parliament, sounds like it will be very tight though and could easily go either way. As for the DUP I think they need to accept that the deal is probably the best we were going to get.
DUP can't accept it.

Don't think it will go through the marra but probably will following a general election. Varadker has played a blinder, Snarlene has had a 'mare and Boris might just bumble through.

I'm done with England - shower of uneducated narrow minded racists (obviously some exceptions to this rule)
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

T'would be quite funny if the Shinners rocked up and voted for Boris's deal.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 am T'would be quite funny if the Shinners rocked up and voted for Boris's deal.
Wouldn't you give your eye teeth to see it? :lol: :lol:
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:56 pm If I was a betting man I would go for the deal going through parliament, sounds like it will be very tight though and could easily go either way. As for the DUP I think they need to accept that the deal is probably the best we were going to get.
Its a rotten deal for NI.

May's deal was significantly better.

The deal offered to Arlene in summer of 2018 was even better again.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Just when ya thought there's already enough clownish folk involved in this along comes wee Bryson getting his spake in.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I see that Leo Varadkar wants to get Brexit done and dusted by Oct31 as he has tickets to a Cher concert in Dublin on Nov 1 and wants to be able to enjoy it. As good a reason as any for getting it sorted. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Amiga500 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 pm
Its a rotten deal for NI
No it isn't. It's still a decent deal for Norn Iron. We'll still have a foot in each camp, although there will be more red tape for businesses.
May's deal was significantly better.
Correct. The May deal was significantly better for NI and the UK as a whole.
Boris wanted to ram his deal through before the detail could be fully examined. On the other side the remoaners are taking advantage of Johnston's ham-fisted antics to delay in the hope of a reversal of article 50.
There can be only one
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Kate Hoey is a fukkin disgrace.
Big Neville Southall
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Hapax Legomenon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm
Amiga500 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 pm Its a rotten deal for NI
No it isn't. It's still a decent deal for Norn Iron. We'll still have a foot in each camp, although there will be more red tape for businesses.
It wouldn't let me post the other day, hopefully now...

Sorry, strongly disagree. Few reasons why:

1. Any manufacturing business that buys components from UK, assembles then exports will have a nightmare of a time tracking through which components can receive rebate and which cannot. This will affect the likes of Bombardier, Terex, FGWilson, Wrongbus/JCBBus (or whatever they become), B/E Aerospace, etc etc.

2. The current legislation states that the envisaged arrangement will only exist up to 2024/2025 then Stormont will vote whether to retain it or not. If they do not vote, it is not retained. Which means DUP can pull down the assembly and the default position is a hard border on island. Which of course means no investment in NI worth 2 fiddler's f**ks as in 5 years it could be essentially worthless due to different regulatory and tarrif environments.

3. Even if Stormont do decide to continue the Johnson arrangement at the first asking, that same question is asked every 4 (or 8?) years (I've seen both numbers). Which means, again, what investor is going to look at NI as a strong long term option with essentially the sword of Damocles hanging over the economic (and political) environment every 4/8 years?

I'm not quite sure on the requirements for an export from NI to UK. But again with regards point 1. If a manufacturer is importing components from EU, assembling in NI, then exporting to UK - tracing what is under which regulatory and tax regimes becomes a f**king nightmare.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

big mervyn wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 pm Kate Hoey is a fukkin disgrace.
Or an excellent MP who calls them as she sees them.
Depending on your point of view.
There can be only one
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Hapax Legomenon wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm
big mervyn wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 pm Kate Hoey is a fukkin disgrace.
Or an excellent MP who calls them as she sees them.
Depending on your point of view.
She's an MP who doesn't represent the vast majority of her constituents, her party or even her country of birth. Plus, she supports hunting.
Big Neville Southall
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

I have to admit, I was gonna happily degenerate Kate Hoey as a waste of space, but then did a quick google just to get her voting history for ammunition...

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10282 ... y/vauxhall

The bad
Kate Hoey consistently voted against the hunting ban
Kate Hoey almost always voted against new high speed rail infrastructure
Kate Hoey generally voted against UK membership of the EU

The good
Kate Hoey almost always voted against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests
Kate Hoey generally voted against introducing ID cards
Kate Hoey almost always voted against the Iraq war
Kate Hoey generally voted against Labour's anti-terrorism laws
Kate Hoey generally voted against requiring the mass retention of information about communications
Kate Hoey generally voted for a transparent Parliament
Kate Hoey generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system

So for me - I'd say she's got more right than wrong.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Amiga500 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:08 am I have to admit, I was gonna happily degenerate Kate Hoey as a waste of space, but then did a quick google just to get her voting history for ammunition...

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10282 ... y/vauxhall

The bad
Kate Hoey consistently voted against the hunting ban

The good
Kate Hoey almost always voted against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests
Kate Hoey generally voted against introducing ID cards
Kate Hoey almost always voted against the Iraq war
Kate Hoey generally voted against Labour's anti-terrorism laws
Kate Hoey generally voted against requiring the mass retention of information about communications
Kate Hoey generally voted for a transparent Parliament
Kate Hoey generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system
Kate Hoey almost always voted against new high speed rail infrastructure
Kate Hoey generally voted against UK membership of the EU

So for me - I'd say she's got more right than wrong.
Fixed :thumleft:
There can be only one
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Happax. You seem very certain that brexit will be good for the uk/ni. Please outline the benefits.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: