Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shan wrote:Ah here. All the auld feckers are rabbiting on about times past. Can't compete with that. The first time I ever travelled back in time was in 1999 and by then the only thing ya noticed around the border was miles instead of kilometres. :D
Yer clearly a nipper. Back in the day, the 26 counties had miles rather than km too. :roll:

:D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Shan wrote:Ah here. All the auld feckers are rabbiting on about times past. Can't compete with that. The first time I ever travelled back in time was in 1999 and by then the only thing ya noticed around the border was miles instead of kilometres. :D
Yer clearly a nipper. Back in the day, the 26 counties had miles rather than km too. :roll:

He's probably not even old enough to remember the common currency = him to c1980 if memory serves.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

The brit mile is 1760 yards whereas the irish mile was 2240 yards in it's day.
Everyday's as school day.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I don't recall the separate tax disc, but then I was too young to drive back then.

I wouldn't have been a regular cross border traveller, but do recall doing it a number of times in both directions and seem to recall being stopped just once - briefly - and waved on after a "nothing to declare". Other times just waved through without so much as a by your leave.

Not the hardest of borders in my recollection, but I'm sure you crossed it much more often than I.
Distinctly remember the triangular tax or else was a goods permit ?
I was being driven but would have been across 4 or 5 times a week
I remember that Triangular thingy too Rooster but it had disappeared by the early seventies.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Until fairly recently and (and perhaps still - but I can't be sure) there were a mixture of roadsigns still available in Donegal. You'd have to look carefully to determine whether the distances were in km or miles. If you didn't know it could get very confusing the way the distances left to travel changed up and down from roadsign to roadsign.
Paul.

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

He's probably not even old enough to remember the common currency = him to c1980 if memory serves.
Simpler times Merv and very convenient if you lived close tot he border :D
Paul.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

solidarity wrote:I remember them as red. Funny thing memory, clearly not what it used to be. My dad used to drive us south in our Hillman Minx (no doubt an unacceptably sexist name these days). We'd stop in a layby a few miles across the border, get out the primus stove for proper fresh tea and wolf down ham baps and my mum's apple tart before continuing the long trek to Bray, where our friends lived. Happy days. I'm coming over all nostalgic.
Changed colour each year same as our old tax discs
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

I do remember the mile signs of course but as you say it was back in the day. We had the wee white boxes along the side of the roads showing the miles.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

mid ulster maestro wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

The brit mile is 1760 yards whereas the irish mile was 2240 yards in it's day.
Everyday's as school day.
How fecking old are you MUM? As far as I know that was prior to the act of union. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

1979 wasn't it? First time I really needed to be aware of different currency was 1982 when I went on my first holiday outside Ireland, to Jersey. IR£1 = GBP 0.79 then. Feckers I thought even though I was only 7 at the time. My IR£40 yielded just over £30. Then when I got to Jersey I realised everything cost less than half the home prices so I was delighted. :D
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Yep, 1979 when the European Exchange Rate mechanism brought in a formal exchange rate between GB£ and IR£ (Punt)

This because Ireland joined the European Monetary System in 1978 but UK opted out.

Prior to that,1IR£ =1GB£. I always liked the animals on the Irish coins (which were minted by Royal Mint in UK. Irish Hare (on the old thruppence I think), salmon(on the 2 bob??) stag and horse (half-crown???) come to mind. Anyone remember the others? Was it a dog in the Irish tanner?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Yep, 1979 when the European Exchange Rate mechanism brought in a formal exchange rate between GB£ and IR£ (Punt)

This because Ireland joined the European Monetary System in 1978 but UK opted out.

Prior to that,1IR£ =1GB£. I always liked the animals on the Irish coins (which were minted by Royal Mint in UK. Irish Hare (on the old thruppence I think), salmon(on the 2 bob??) stag and horse (half-crown???) come to mind. Anyone remember the others? Was it a dog in the Irish tanner?
Stag was the punt coin. Bull on the shilling, rooster on the penny. They used the same horse on the 20p.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Ken Clarke eh.

Hilarious response from the DUP. Saying Clarke is out of touch really is comedy gold from that quarter.

Fleggory must have been asleep during maths class as he said that Clarke was out of step with the majority of his own party. Last time I checked 118 is not a majority of the tory party.

I can see why you lot prefer the English to rule you than rely on yer homebreds. Similar to Ulster rugby really. Ye feck it up without outsiders to help ye along.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Glad to see you putting the wooden spoon you got for Christmas to good use there Shan. :lol:
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Glad to see you putting the wooden spoon you got for Christmas to good use there Shan. Image
Think he got a new fishing rod too...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?