Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5620
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: holywood (or glasgow)
Contact:

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by HwoodMike2umate » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:48 pm

For the record, and Lest We Forget, the current anticipated Brexit Day (11pm on Friday 29.3.2019) is by coincidence DAY 4451.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh

User avatar
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11828
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 am
Location: East Belfast

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by pwrmoore » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Petition HERE to revoke Article 50 is about to top 1 Million signatures. :cheers: :lol:

I'm not convinced it will change anything but it can't do any harm!
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm

pwrmoore wrote:Petition HERE to revoke Article 50 is about to top 1 Million signatures. :cheers: [emoji38]

I'm not convinced it will change anything but it can't do any harm!
Sure Theresa May is on our side...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11828
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 am
Location: East Belfast

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by pwrmoore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 am

Dave wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:Petition HERE to revoke Article 50 is about to top 1 Million signatures. :cheers: [emoji38]

I'm not convinced it will change anything but it can't do any harm!
Sure Theresa May is on our side...
2.45M as of this morning but seems to have slowed a bit. Compare that with the largest Pro-Brexit petition which is sitting just under 400,000 after 5 months - and a large chunk of that was a kick it received yesterday in reaction to the petition above.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11042
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Jackie Brown » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 am

pwrmoore wrote:
Dave wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:Petition HERE to revoke Article 50 is about to top 1 Million signatures. :cheers: [emoji38]

I'm not convinced it will change anything but it can't do any harm!
Sure Theresa May is on our side...
2.45M as of this morning but seems to have slowed a bit. Compare that with the largest Pro-Brexit petition which is sitting just under 400,000 after 5 months - and a large chunk of that was a kick it received yesterday in reaction to the petition above.
2.58 million now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:49 am

Jackie Brown wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:
Dave wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:Petition HERE to revoke Article 50 is about to top 1 Million signatures. :cheers: [emoji38]

I'm not convinced it will change anything but it can't do any harm!
Sure Theresa May is on our side...
2.45M as of this morning but seems to have slowed a bit. Compare that with the largest Pro-Brexit petition which is sitting just under 400,000 after 5 months - and a large chunk of that was a kick it received yesterday in reaction to the petition above.
2.58 million now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2.89 million
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11828
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 am
Location: East Belfast

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by pwrmoore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:08 pm

And now over 3 million
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13662
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:10 pm

Still fourteen and a half million fewer than voted for brexit in the first place.

Just sayin' like.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13662
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12 pm

pwrmoore wrote:And now over 3 million
Make that 14 million approx fewer than voted for in the first place.

just sayi ...
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11828
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 am
Location: East Belfast

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by pwrmoore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Still fourteen and a half million fewer than voted for brexit in the first place.

Just sayin' like.
true. but also almost 8 times the number of people petitioning for Brexit in the largest pro-Brexit petition to date. which observation is more indicative? Obviously you wouldn't expect every voter to respond to a petition lots won't have access or won't have heard of it or just couldn't be bothered as they don't think it will amount to anything. What is your threshold for taking notice?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Still fourteen and a half million fewer than voted for brexit in the first place.

Just sayin' like.
Yeah but add on the 3.1 million to the 16.1 million who voted remain...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13662
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Still fourteen and a half million fewer than voted for brexit in the first place.

Just sayin' like.
Yeah but add on the 3.1 million to the 16.1 million who voted remain...
aye, because right enough, those 3.1 million never voted in the first place. :duh:
pwrmoore wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Still fourteen and a half million fewer than voted for brexit in the first place.

Just sayin' like.
true. but also almost 8 times the number of people petitioning for Brexit in the largest pro-Brexit petition to date. which observation is more indicative? Obviously you wouldn't expect every voter to respond to a petition lots won't have access or won't have heard of it or just couldn't be bothered as they don't think it will amount to anything. What is your threshold for taking notice?
8 times the number petitioning to leave the EU without a deal on 29th March

Not indicative of those who might wish to leave under other conditions, or those who know (like you first intimated) that the petition won't have any effect anyway.

Just sayin' like.
The revocation of Article 50 "isn't politically doable" without a general election or referendum, the cross-bench peer who wrote the clause has said.

Responding to a petition that passed a million signatures, Lord Kerr of Kinlochard said: "One would have to go back to the people to get authority to do something different from what the people asked for."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... o-petition
I don't have a threshold for taking notice - it's immaterial what I think.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Still fourteen and a half million fewer than voted for brexit in the first place.

Just sayin' like.
Yeah but add on the 3.1 million to the 16.1 million who voted remain...
aye, because right enough, those 3.1 million never voted in the first place. :duh:
It's as illogical as numerically comparing an online petition to the result of a nationwide referendum.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11042
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Jackie Brown » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 pm

What percentage of the population was 17million? Hardly the will of the people that we keep getting rammed down our throats.
Feck Theresa May

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11380
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by big mervyn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:49 pm

It is estimated that up to 3/4 million Brexit voters have died since the refendum and about 2.5 million new voters have registered so the 17.4:16.1 ratio is well out of date.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

Post Reply