Gay Marriage

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

LadyP
Novice

Gay Marriage

Post by LadyP »

Good Morning

Who is for, who is against and why.?

Why can't we have gay marriage in NI?

Can you get married in a Church if and when it's legal, ?

If it's legal, can a church refuse to marry you?

And if not, can you take action against the church for discrimination?

Me, I don't see any harm in it.
"This doesn't look good Parker"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Rooster »

Fecks not given, whatever turns you on.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LadyP wrote:Good Morning

Who is for, who is against and why.? For, I'm as gay as the next man. Besides civilised western countries & parts of America the Uncouth see it as a legal right and norm.

Why can't we have gay marriage in NI? Because the DUP are Kunts with a capital C

Can you get married in a Church if and when it's legal, ? Yes but only if the church allows it.

If it's legal, can a church refuse to marry you? Because in most countries legislation allows the deluded to hang onto their belief that up in the clouds or stars Old Beardie exists. Churches, therefore, are not legally compelled to carry out same-sex marriages

And if not, can you take action against the church for discrimination? NO, FFFS they aren't bakers.

I suspect you may well know all that M'Lady. By the way, are you still getting the hormone treatment? :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jesus chapter one verse two: 'gays shall refrain from marrying in churches or from receiving any baked treats. Civil partnerships are grand but.'
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

LadyP wrote:Good Morning

Who is for, who is against and why.?

Why can't we have gay marriage in NI?

Can you get married in a Church if and when it's legal, ?

If it's legal, can a church refuse to marry you?

And if not, can you take action against the church for discrimination?

A church is well within their rights not to marry a hetrosexual couple either for specific reasons (e.g. the minister does not believe they are genuine in their faith) or as a more fundamental policy (e.g. divorcees). That's what you sign up for when you throw your hat in with a particular church.

As for my opinion:

For or against:
I'm against. Redefining the definition of marriage only reinforces the inequalities inherent in the system.

Why not in NI:
Because we have religious people in control of legislation. Not necessarily in a majority, but in control. Of course they can rightly claim that there is a hell of a lot more important things to be doing than creating populist legislation.

In a church:
The church can do or not do what they like (see above). But the church has to adhere to the laws applicable in that state for it to be recognised as a legal marriage.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

BR wrote: For or against:
I'm against. Redefining the definition of marriage only reinforces the inequalities inherent in the system.
Please expand on this point, what inequalities will this reinforce?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mea97mb wrote:
Pension rights, inheritance rights, parental rights would probably be 3 with the biggest impact.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

BR wrote:
mea97mb wrote:
Pension rights, inheritance rights, parental rights would probably be 3 with the biggest impact.
So how does removing one inequality reinforce the inequalities you mention?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:
mea97mb wrote:
Is it your contention that it is wrong to grant equal pension rights, inheritance rights, parental rights as those already granted to heterosexual couples who choose to marry, to gay couples if they become allowed to and then choose to marry? I don't see how that would reinforce any systemic inequality.

At the moment the inequalities you highlight apply to heterosexuals who have decided that they don't wish to marry and to all homosexual couples whether they wish to marry or not. By opening the door to gay marriage it would simply level the playing field by allowing gay couples who choose to marry to avail of the same improved rights as their heterosexual counterparts. Gay couples who choose not to marry would have the exact same disadvantages as heterosexual couples who made that choice. That seems fairer than the status quo to me.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mea97mb wrote:
BR wrote:
mea97mb wrote:
So how does removing one inequality reinforce the inequalities you mention?
Well, firstly I wouldn't necessarily agree that they would be removing an inequality by redefining marriage.

But it papers over the cracks in the system. More people are part of the 'club' (or perceive they are part of the club). Relaxing the apartheid laws on Coloureds did not fix apartheid.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

As you know Paul, there are various reasons why people cannot get married/enter into a civil partnership. It is not always a matter of choice. But rights and responsibilities should be on individual adults.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Straight people aren't very good at a marriage, if the divorce statistics are anything to go by. Maybe gays will be better at it, who knows.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Im confused

My lesbian friend from the East married her girlfriend a couple of weeks ago (in the East)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:As you know Paul, there are various reasons why people cannot get married/enter into a civil partnership. It is not always a matter of choice. But rights and responsibilities should be on individual adults.
That's true - there are exceptions in every case but I'm not sure that it is fair to deny rights to a larger group based on those exceptions. If you are advocating an overhaul of the rights you mentioned so that marriage is not a factor that's fine but I don't think that is a justification for denying gay couples the right to marry.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: