Wimbledon

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Wimbledon

Post by Russ »

No they dont dave

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

They should have to pay us.. Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I really struggle to have much sympathy with Serena Williams, a player who has developed gamesmanship into an exact science. In total contrast to her sister, she is a thoroughly obnoxious individual and in this case, she is playing McEnroe like the opinionated clown that he is. I like McEnroe, but he's got this one wrong. Just a bad choice of poster girl for this particular cause.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shammy I would hope that I have a decent background of defending/supporting women here to the same extent I defend gaylords and all people men or women who aren't part of the DUP or Tory governments, so I hope you will tolerate me when I say, that woman is talking utter shyte.

McEnroe was not entirely blameless right enough, but for me, he is not guilty of sexism, he is guilty of a degree of naivety in honestly answering a loaded question, mainly because he allowed himself to be led up that unfortunate dead end side street by the interviewer(a woman by the way).

I'm not quoting verbatim but it went something like this:

Int: what is your opinion on Serena Williams?
McE: she is the greatest woman player of all time, she is a great champion.

Int: Why the "greatest woman player of all time"? Why not the greatest tennis player of all time?

This is where McEnroe got it wrong, instead of saying, the men's game & women's game are essentially different sports given they are not played over the same number of sets etc. etc., he allowed himself to be directed into and answered, "well, where would you rank Serena?" He is annoyed with himself now that he fell into trying to rank her with male players instead of simply saying she would be nowhere near the top in a competition, open to all, but is a magnificent player.

In reality, I struggle to think of a major sport where any woman could be considered the greatest of all time because if it were open competition they could not compete against the top men. That is just a quirk of the requirements of sport in terms of physical ability and the differences in male & female bodies.

Hold on, I've just thought of one, women can compete & win in sports but they are not major sports:

- the world's deepest free dive is held by a woman

researching a bit:

- there is a rock-climber, Lyn Hill who has made some difficult climbs no man has managed.
- Ronaldo's wife is reputedly the world keepie-uppie record holder
- Equestrian sports such as show jumping or cross-country, no reason why not and the sport is not segregated.
- Long distance swimming, women are outstanding
- The women's discus record is longer than the men's, but their discus weighs half as much.

Anyway, I am off on a tangent. McEnroe is an enormous admirer of Ms Williams, I would contend that Navratilova faced better opposition over a sustained period, and may well be a contender for the greatest female player of all time, but then I'm far from an expert with tennis. What is certain is that Serena simply is not the greatest "tennis player" of all time, McEnroe I believe had no intention to be sexist, he is just a guy who shoots from the hip & will answer a question rather than dodge it.

By the way, I used to hate McEnroe's guts, now like others with age he has mellowed whereas I am less than bothered by almost everything in life - other than the DUP & Tories. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Forget to say something about a woman. The virtue signallers cry sexism

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Forget to say something about a woman. The virtue signallers cry sexism

What about black people? Racist.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shammy I would hope that I have a decent background of defending/supporting women here to the same extent I defend gaylords and all people men or women who aren't part of the DUP or Tory governments, so I hope you will tolerate me when I say, that woman is talking utter shyte.

McEnroe was not entirely blameless right enough, but for me, he is not guilty of sexism, he is guilty of a degree of naivety in honestly answering a loaded question, mainly because he allowed himself to be led up that unfortunate dead end side street by the interviewer(a woman by the way).

I'm not quoting verbatim but it went something like this:

Int: what is your opinion on Serena Williams?
McE: she is the greatest woman player of all time, she is a great champion.

Int: Why the "greatest woman player of all time"? Why not the greatest tennis player of all time?

This is where McEnroe got it wrong, instead of saying, the men's game & women's game are essentially different sports given they are not played over the same number of sets etc. etc., he allowed himself to be directed into and answered, "well, where would you rank Serena?" He is annoyed with himself now that he fell into trying to rank her with male players instead of simply saying she would be nowhere near the top in a competition, open to all, but is a magnificent player.

In reality, I struggle to think of a major sport where any woman could be considered the greatest of all time because if it were open competition they could not compete against the top men. That is just a quirk of the requirements of sport in terms of physical ability and the differences in male & female bodies.

Hold on, I've just thought of one, women can compete & win in sports but they are not major sports:

- the world's deepest free dive is held by a woman

researching a bit:

- there is a rock-climber, Lyn Hill who has made some difficult climbs no man has managed.
- Ronaldo's wife is reputedly the world keepie-uppie record holder
- Equestrian sports such as show jumping or cross-country, no reason why not and the sport is not segregated.
- Long distance swimming, women are outstanding
- The women's discus record is longer than the men's, but their discus weighs half as much.

Anyway, I am off on a tangent. McEnroe is an enormous admirer of Ms Williams, I would contend that Navratilova faced better opposition over a sustained period, and may well be a contender for the greatest female player of all time, but then I'm far from an expert with tennis. What is certain is that Serena simply is not the greatest "tennis player" of all time, McEnroe I believe had no intention to be sexist, he is just a guy who shoots from the hip & will answer a question rather than dodge it.

By the way, I used to hate McEnroe's guts, now like others with age he has mellowed whereas I am less than bothered by almost everything in life - other than the DUP & Tories. >EW
Most of the criticism of McEnroe seems to come from people who have not understood the context of these comments, or simply people who have an axe to grind against him anyway.

The impression is given that JMcE simply launched a broadside against Serena but from what i have heard and read, that is far from the truth. I have heard john speaking since and admits he was naive to attempt to rank Serena because as he says, whatever number he came up with would be subjective anyway, but he confessed he allowed himself to be pressurised into replying after repeated questioning.

Anyway, John has now tipped Serena to win Wimbledon despite being preggers and not actually entered into the competition, she's that good, so that's alright then. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

McEnroe is easy meat for an arch manipulator like Serena Williams. He's never been known to say no comment.
She just throws the bait out there and he rises like a salmon.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Serena=Antichrist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Where-s the traditional HWM Dirty Old Man thread?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:McEnroe is easy meat for an arch manipulator like Serena Williams. He's never been known to say no comment.
She just throws the bait out there and he rises like a salmon.
Have I missed something or are you talking bollix Snipe? McEnroe was manipulated by Lulu Garcia-Navarro, who is a quality award winning journalist, not a sports journalist, but someone who was lauded for her coverage of the Arab Spring, for example, a proper serious journalist.

What has he said now?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Where-s the traditional HWM Dirty Old Man thread?
I expect his typing hand is too busy.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
What's the other hand doing? Sorry don't want to know. Maybe it takes two? What kind of car does he drive?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
What's the other hand doing? Sorry don't want to know. Maybe it takes two? What kind of car does he drive?
Don't know what brand his car is but I'm assured he uses one of these.
knob.jpg
knob.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
He has a well-polished knob.