William Dunlop

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

William Dunlop

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Sad news that William Dunlop was killed during practice at Skerries 100 today. RIP with Joey, Robert and the rest of the Armoy Armada, William. :salut:
Sadly his wife's expecting their second child. Love Road Racing, hate the losses.
Exterminate all rational thought
Tazz #15
Initiate

Re: William Dunlop

Post by Tazz #15 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Sad news that William Dunlop was killed during practice at Skerries 100 today. RIP with Joey, Robert and the rest of the Armoy Armada, William. :salut:
Sadly his wife's expecting their second child. Love Road Racing, hate the losses.
Seconded, devastating news.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Can't believe this.
Hard to get your head round it all.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Hard to believe he pulled out of IoM but then went in for this weekend with his wife still pregnant. I was not brought up in road racing and so find it hard to comprehend the decisions these families make. After how many losses will one family say that road racing is too cruel a mistress?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The Dunlops will never give up no matter how many lose their lives. Very sad news. I'd love Michael to give up now but don't think there is any way that will happen.

Speed is an addiction, not much different to drink or any other drug.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Awful news.

Three of us we were talking about how crazy bikers were as we started our fifth bottle of wine this very afternoon.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

How much tragedy does one family have to take in the name of sport?

The sport is impossible to make safe, even relatively safe, but then the danger is part of the attraction.
Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.
Roadracing on public roads with limited budgets is sheer madness.
The riders are, as Baggy says, addicted to the adrenalin so they'll not stop.

At what point do the authorities stop granting road closure permits?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

How on earth can road racing be worth dying for? I have every sympathy for their loss but please stop.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Very sad news indeed. Unfortunately there are a lot of sports that can lead to life threatening or life changing situations, rugby included. I did have a friend who was a road racer and he told me that it was safer racing than riding on the road. He deemed that too dangerous.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote: Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.
True, but deaths are rare. The run offs make the tracks very safe. I think the biggest threat to life is from the other bikes.

The stats at the IOM are crazy - about 2-3 fatalities per year is the norm.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Moto GP or Superbike racing with massive factory budgets and on purpose built tracks is very dangerous.
True, but deaths are rare. The run offs make the tracks very safe. I think the biggest threat to life is from the other bikes.

The track racing has a very good record recently with all their runoff zones, surfaces and the safety kit the riders wear plus the bikes are prepared to perfection by manufacturer mechanics. As you say Merv the biggest risk is coming off and another bike hitting you and I think that was actually the last death and it is even rare to get hit, it is close contact but the racers are pros and actually know when enough is enough.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

The track racing has a very good record recently with all their runoff zones, surfaces and the safety kit the riders wear plus the bikes are prepared to perfection by manufacturer mechanics. As you say Merv the biggest risk is coming off and another bike hitting you and I think that was actually the last death and it is even rare to get hit, it is close contact but the racers are pros and actually know when enough is enough.
The difference between bikes prepared to the highest standards by full factory teams and the second hand gear used and prepared by road racers and their part time mechanics in a shed at their house has to be massive. I don't know the stats, but I believe Robert Dunlop's fatal crash was caused by a seized engine. These guys are pushing to the very edge on gear that isn't as good as it once was. Not to mention lamp posts, trees, ditches and curbs.
There are a number of factors that are not as good or safe as they should be before a sane person would saddle up.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Nobody forces them and they certainly don’t do it for financial reasons.

I don’t understand the attraction but I’m not going to criticise those who do.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

222toHounslow wrote:Nobody forces them and they certainly don’t do it for financial reasons.

That's what they all say, coupled with "they know the dangers".

My issue is that the government are facilitating the madness.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

222toHounslow wrote:Nobody forces them and they certainly don’t do it for financial reasons.

Exackerly 222. I have been known to be a bit judgy, but not on this, I admire them but think them crazy, they provide an amazing spectacle, are loved by hordes, I just wish it could be less tragic.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.