Mental condition?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Liz Fraser
Squire

Re: Mental condition?

Post by Liz Fraser »

Fecken loons
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

problem

when young married with kids you don't destress when on holiday .

And as the end of holiday approaches there is the growing awareness that while away the cr-p has been accumulating at work -- unless you are employed on a skill- less task that can be done by a thousand others .

The great joy of retirement is your not accountable to some self important assh-le whose joy is make the life of others miserable .

Most large organisation breed them --petty minded Hitlers .

And the self employed have the business overdraft hanging on their awareness continuously in moments of idleness .

No only the retired are granted the ability to destress - the pension cheques get lodged as regularly as a young Nuns need of sanitary goods .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:problem

when young married with kids you don't destress when on holiday .

And as the end of holiday approaches there is the growing awareness that while away the cr-p has been accumulating at work -- unless you are employed on a skill- less task that can be done by a thousand others .

The great joy of retirement is your not accountable to some self important assh-le whose joy is make the life of others miserable .

Most large organisation breed them --petty minded Hitlers .

And the self employed have the business overdraft hanging on their awareness continuously in moments of idleness .

No only the retired are granted the ability to destress - the pension cheques get lodged as regularly as a young Nuns need of sanitary goods .

Oh wise one, grant me a boon.

Today I became a pensionista but also un Autonomo. Translates as a pensioner but also self-employed. How will I prevent myself from insanity and sleep deprivation.

I suppose it's only fair to tell you I will have no overdraft, just so you can factor that into your ruminations and cogitations. I will however have to stump up around €240 per month in social security payments. I regard it as bloody cheap private health insurance given it will cover all of self, wife and son in the excellent Spanish Health Service.

I'll await your advice on how I can stave off madness.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The headache for the self employed is the business overdraft .

At that point your working for pleasure and profit ,rather than Profit and Pleasure — the difference between Pro and amateur .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What did you do for a living, Rum?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote:What did you do for a living, Rum?
Technical author.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Many things several employers a bit of accountancy - investigator - stone breaker - muck shifter - part time chancer .

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote:Many things several employers a bit of accountancy - investigator - stone breaker - muck shifter - part time chancer .

If you've got a problem and no one else can help and if you can find them then maybe you can hire the A team.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

On the stress front, something I've only realised recently is the toll that having the wrong job can take - I never realised it because I had always worked in jobs that I had enjoyed, and found relatively fulfilling etc, but took a bit of a change of direction in the last few years, and ended up in two absolute shockers one after the other... Got a bit of an eye-opener, working with terrible people, in appalling managed businesses, ended up dreading going into the office, hating opening up my emails, etc. Completely spoiled weekends and holidays, thinking about all the sh**e waiting when I got back

Interesting thing was when I started mentioning it to folks, a surprising number seemed to think that was the norm! I think it can be like getting stuck in a crap relationship, you can end up trapped by inertia. Anyway I got out and now work in a cracking company, class office, good team, so moral is, if you're hating it get your CV dusted off * and get the heck out of there!

* (maybe don't go full Shane Logan though)

as for checking emails on hols, lol those days are past, I've spent enough time hunkered by ski lifts or on the beach dialling into calls, these days I tell everyone in no uncertain terms that I won't be looking at a single email, if there's an emergency to text me and I'll check Slack or whatever, but otherwise it can wait till I get back >burp
..one more thing
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Many things several employers a bit of accountancy - investigator - stone breaker - muck shifter - part time chancer .

If you've got a problem and no one else can help and if you can find them then maybe you can hire the A team.
Sponsored by CD group
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

A lot depends on the industry, role and dynamic of whatever team you have. I'm more than happy to spend 5 minutes during my hols answering a few questions that will save my colleagues hours of grief sorting out without my input. I trust my team to know where to draw the line. However I would not expect my line manager to initiate contact directly other than in a genuine emergency.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Columbo wrote:On the stress front, something I've only realised recently is the toll that having the wrong job can take - I never realised it because I had always worked in jobs that I had enjoyed, and found relatively fulfilling etc, but took a bit of a change of direction in the last few years, and ended up in two absolute shockers one after the other... Got a bit of an eye-opener, working with terrible people, in appalling managed businesses, ended up dreading going into the office, hating opening up my emails, etc. Completely spoiled weekends and holidays, thinking about all the sh**e waiting when I got back

Interesting thing was when I started mentioning it to folks, a surprising number seemed to think that was the norm! I think it can be like getting stuck in a crap relationship, you can end up trapped by inertia. Anyway I got out and now work in a cracking company, class office, good team, so moral is, if you're hating it get your CV dusted off * and get the heck out of there!

* (maybe don't go full Shane Logan though)

as for checking emails on hols, lol those days are past, I've spent enough time hunkered by ski lifts or on the beach dialling into calls, these days I tell everyone in no uncertain terms that I won't be looking at a single email, if there's an emergency to text me and I'll check Slack or whatever, but otherwise it can wait till I get back >burp
Columbo, this me right now. In that 2nd new type of job and literally dying inside. The CV has been tarted up and I'm on the lookout - again ☹️. I can't believe I let myself get into this situation and I'm angry at myself for being such a dingbat.

Summertime is never a good time to looking though and it's almost impossible to get time out to attend interviews. I have good days and bad days, it's hard to stomach when you have Dear John letters with no explanations or feedback and people who want to pay you the square root of feck all Image.

Add in the fact that I have a child and therefore need some flexibility in the mornings and sometimes it makes me feel like I'm unemployable.

I could end up stacking shelves in Tesco yet but there's no way I'm going to be contactable through my holidays in a few weeks, my current hourly rate doesn't stretch to that. Feck em!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

wee woman

Stacking shelves is no bad option at times

tescos pay isn't the best but when you walk out each night the job doesn't follow you home .

Some else picks up where you stop .

And to some extent the hours can be manipulated to suit your needs with the right manager and co workers .

my daughter worked for them when attending college -- money isn't everything provided the job is not the primary source of income for the family

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Interesting.......

https://www.rsph.org.uk/our-work/campai ... ember.html

Extract from Telegraph....
After the success of Movember the NHS has endorsed a mental health campaign to get children to give up social media for 30 days.

Claire Murdoch, NHS England’s national director for mental health, said the campaign for people to sign up for a “Scroll-Free September” highlighted growing concerns that social media was contributing to a potential “epidemic” in mental ill health among young people.

The campaign is the brainchild of Britain’s oldest public health body, The Royal Society for Public Health, whose poll to launch it showed two thirds of people would consider giving up social media for the 30 days of September. It is the first time it has been tried anywhere in the world.

Ms Murdoch said the crisis fuelled by social media demonstrated why there needed to be “a major ramp up of services to deal with the mental health problems as part of the NHS 10-year plan”.

She added: “We need to see concerted action, with everyone taking responsibility, including social media giants, so the NHS is not left to pick up the pieces of a mental health epidemic in the next generation.”

In the royal society poll, a third of social media users and half of young users, aged 18 to 34, believed quitting social media for a month would help them sleep, better improve their real-world relationships and benefit their mental health and well being.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18