the hockey

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: the hockey

Post by Russ »

Heading to Stratford

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:Where do most of the players hail from
About a quarter of them are Nordies. Some of them play in Holland.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Refreshing to hear about how many of the players have their own careers. Reminds me of the amatuer era in rugby. Not like now where players are mostly concerned with their free mercedes or plugging their cafe.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterAddict wrote:I liked the Irish coaches comment in the post match interview. Said they had been asking the Dutch for a match for the last 3 years, but the Dutch refused (the Irish not deemed good enough). Coach- ‘If the Durch win their semi later, they won’t have a choice tomorrow!!’
Dutch kind of vindicated on that one ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Where do most of the players hail from
Knowing feck all about it, my best guess is their Ma's geebeg. Hope this helps. :D

Have they lost yet?

"Gallant British lads"! Well done anyway girls/ladies/weemen. Didn't they do well.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

And so the journey ends ... The girls may have lost the final against an incredible well oiled professional Dutch machine ...( El Baggyio is happy) but these amateur heroines have won the support of the nation and many more who prob never seen the sport previously. They played with shackles off and won over everyone with their smiles in victory and defeat . Let's hope the hockey juggernaut doesn't run out of steam but instead paves the way for more youngsters in the future who can only dream .....I for one am proud Ulster supporter & and have fantastic memories of the Irish girls exploits . Well done everyone and Thankyou .
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Pity but by all accounts they came up against a team which was too hot to handle. Great achievement all the same for them.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Silver medal at the world cup is a staggering achievement for them.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gallant British Lads as expected, well-done Ladies I suppose. I see none of you experts mentioned that they were annihilated Love - six, so as I had suggested their presence in the final ruined it as a contest, oh well, sure the boggers are happy, that's all that counts.

I assume that hockey will now vanish back to whence it came, the administrators likely to be as effective in capitalising on this rare period in the sun as Mike Reid was when Ulster won the ERC.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Gallant British Lads as expected, well-done Ladies I suppose. I see none of you experts mentioned that they were annihilated Love - six, so as I had suggested their presence in the final ruined it as a contest, oh well, sure the boggers are happy, that's all that counts.

I assume that hockey will now vanish back to whence it came, the administrators likely to be as effective in capitalising on this rare period in the sun as Mike Reid was when Ulster won the ERC.
Seems that Engerland had engineered an easy wee route to the final and then Ireland hijacked it.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Watched the match and there was a huge gulf between the professional Dutch and the amateur Irish. All the same, a silver medal in the world championships is more than impressive.

Bythe way, anybody remember a couple of lads from Enniskillen (I think) winning the world championship in elephant polo about ten or a dozen years ago?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Never did women's hockey deserve a good run as much as this team did.
The IRFU has invested years now in trying to manufacture a new sport,namely women's rugby.
They have quietly attempted to cannibalise women's hockey in this cause, stealing players and upsetting the sources that nurture that sport. That's a sport that has a century or more of catering for the sporting needs of many young women who share the demographic that the IRFU aims at north and south.

So I am delighted that women's hockey has got a shot in the arm. Now clear off with your fake sport.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

If you offered the IRFU a guaranteed second place finish to the ABs in Japan right now, they'd snap your hand off. Fantastic achievement by the Irish hockey team.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Gallant British Lads as expected, well-done Ladies I suppose. I see none of you experts mentioned that they were annihilated Love - six, so as I had suggested their presence in the final ruined it as a contest, oh well, sure the boggers are happy, that's all that counts.

Seems that Engerland had engineered an easy wee route to the final and then Ireland hijacked it.
Oh well, that's different, well done girls. :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:Never did women's hockey deserve a good run as much as this team did.
The IRFU has invested years now in trying to manufacture a new sport,namely women's rugby.
They have quietly attempted to cannibalise women's hockey in this cause, stealing players and upsetting the sources that nurture that sport. That's a sport that has a century or more of catering for the sporting needs of many young women who share the demographic that the IRFU aims at north and south.

So I am delighted that women's hockey has got a shot in the arm. Now clear off with your fake sport.
Who put a hair up your hole oul'hand? Most amusing. :roll: