the hockey

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 28295
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Looking for George North's defence

Re: the hockey

Post by Russ » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Heading to Stratford

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11380
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: the hockey

Post by big mervyn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Kofi Annan wrote:Where do most of the players hail from
About a quarter of them are Nordies. Some of them play in Holland.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: the hockey

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Refreshing to hear about how many of the players have their own careers. Reminds me of the amatuer era in rugby. Not like now where players are mostly concerned with their free mercedes or plugging their cafe.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11380
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: the hockey

Post by big mervyn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:20 pm

UlsterAddict wrote:I liked the Irish coaches comment in the post match interview. Said they had been asking the Dutch for a match for the last 3 years, but the Dutch refused (the Irish not deemed good enough). Coach- ‘If the Durch win their semi later, they won’t have a choice tomorrow!!’
Dutch kind of vindicated on that one ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30217
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: the hockey

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Kofi Annan wrote:Where do most of the players hail from
Knowing feck all about it, my best guess is their Ma's geebeg. Hope this helps. :D

Have they lost yet?

"Gallant British lads"! Well done anyway girls/ladies/weemen. Didn't they do well.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

armalig
Novice
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: the hockey

Post by armalig » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:13 pm

And so the journey ends ... The girls may have lost the final against an incredible well oiled professional Dutch machine ...( El Baggyio is happy) but these amateur heroines have won the support of the nation and many more who prob never seen the sport previously. They played with shackles off and won over everyone with their smiles in victory and defeat . Let's hope the hockey juggernaut doesn't run out of steam but instead paves the way for more youngsters in the future who can only dream .....I for one am proud Ulster supporter & and have fantastic memories of the Irish girls exploits . Well done everyone and Thankyou .

User avatar
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11287
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: the hockey

Post by Shan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Pity but by all accounts they came up against a team which was too hot to handle. Great achievement all the same for them.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: the hockey

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Silver medal at the world cup is a staggering achievement for them.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30217
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: the hockey

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Gallant British Lads as expected, well-done Ladies I suppose. I see none of you experts mentioned that they were annihilated Love - six, so as I had suggested their presence in the final ruined it as a contest, oh well, sure the boggers are happy, that's all that counts.

I assume that hockey will now vanish back to whence it came, the administrators likely to be as effective in capitalising on this rare period in the sun as Mike Reid was when Ulster won the ERC.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11380
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: the hockey

Post by big mervyn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:19 pm

BaggyTrousers wrote:Gallant British Lads as expected, well-done Ladies I suppose. I see none of you experts mentioned that they were annihilated Love - six, so as I had suggested their presence in the final ruined it as a contest, oh well, sure the boggers are happy, that's all that counts.

I assume that hockey will now vanish back to whence it came, the administrators likely to be as effective in capitalising on this rare period in the sun as Mike Reid was when Ulster won the ERC.
Seems that Engerland had engineered an easy wee route to the final and then Ireland hijacked it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
solidarity
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: the hockey

Post by solidarity » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Watched the match and there was a huge gulf between the professional Dutch and the amateur Irish. All the same, a silver medal in the world championships is more than impressive.

Bythe way, anybody remember a couple of lads from Enniskillen (I think) winning the world championship in elephant polo about ten or a dozen years ago?

Dublin4
Warrior
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: the hockey

Post by Dublin4 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Never did women's hockey deserve a good run as much as this team did.
The IRFU has invested years now in trying to manufacture a new sport,namely women's rugby.
They have quietly attempted to cannibalise women's hockey in this cause, stealing players and upsetting the sources that nurture that sport. That's a sport that has a century or more of catering for the sporting needs of many young women who share the demographic that the IRFU aims at north and south.

So I am delighted that women's hockey has got a shot in the arm. Now clear off with your fake sport.

promenader 2
Novice
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: the hockey

Post by promenader 2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 pm

If you offered the IRFU a guaranteed second place finish to the ABs in Japan right now, they'd snap your hand off. Fantastic achievement by the Irish hockey team.

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30217
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: the hockey

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:08 pm

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Gallant British Lads as expected, well-done Ladies I suppose. I see none of you experts mentioned that they were annihilated Love - six, so as I had suggested their presence in the final ruined it as a contest, oh well, sure the boggers are happy, that's all that counts.

I assume that hockey will now vanish back to whence it came, the administrators likely to be as effective in capitalising on this rare period in the sun as Mike Reid was when Ulster won the ERC.
Seems that Engerland had engineered an easy wee route to the final and then Ireland hijacked it.
Oh well, that's different, well done girls. :lol:
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30217
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: the hockey

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Dublin4 wrote:Never did women's hockey deserve a good run as much as this team did.
The IRFU has invested years now in trying to manufacture a new sport,namely women's rugby.
They have quietly attempted to cannibalise women's hockey in this cause, stealing players and upsetting the sources that nurture that sport. That's a sport that has a century or more of catering for the sporting needs of many young women who share the demographic that the IRFU aims at north and south.

So I am delighted that women's hockey has got a shot in the arm. Now clear off with your fake sport.
Who put a hair up your hole oul'hand? Most amusing. :roll:
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

Post Reply