Autobiographies

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Marco
Novice

Autobiographies

Post by Marco »

I read several sports autobiographies every year, standard family gifts mostly, and find it very interesting to see the variance from the more mundane ones, which can even be somewhat boring, basically listing out career achievements with some embellishments, to the ones where the author opens up and gives you a real insight into their thoughts and lives. Perfect example of the latter is Sean Canvanagh’s “The Obsession’, can’t put it down as he tells it as it is, no holds barred, it certainly gave me a real sense of just how dedicated the GAA guys are, training as much and more than professionals and yet also studying, working in day jobs and attending functions all over the country. Strongly recommend it to anyone, respect!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Autobiographies

Post by justinr73 »

Many thanks - I take it you never read it 'doon thae pub'?!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I usually give sporting biogs (how many of them deserve the auto prefix?) a wide berth because 99% of them are pure dung. Picked up Botham's recently when I had an hour to kill in Café Nero. Dreadful.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

Michael Dunlop's is a decent read. Very frank as you'd expect and an insight into an extraordinary family
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Derek Pringle's book is supposed to be good.

I'll start to read it when i get round to sitting on the exercise bike again.....
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote:Derek Pringle's book is supposed to be good.

I'll start to read it when i get round to sitting on the exercise bike again.....
… and Pringle probably actually wrote it himself.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Indeed!

He's an interesting chap.

Have bumped into him in Cambridge a couple of times (once at the rugby), having previously been introduced by a mate of mine who will just be about to start 'work' in Barbados....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I can't remember who it was but someone complimented them on their "autobiography"

Person responded with (something like) "Thank-you, I'm looking forward to reading it". :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I can't remember who it was but someone complimented them on their "autobiography"

Person responded with (something like) "Thank-you, I'm looking forward to reading it". :lol:
Another exchange between 2 former rugby players (I can't remember who either!):

Player 1 "Who did you get to write your autobiography for you?"
Player 2 "Who did you get to read yours for you?"
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

If anyone is into non sporting autobiographies I highly recommend 'The Moon's a Balloon". David Niven's early years in Hollywood.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote:If anyone is into non sporting autobiographies I highly recommend 'The Moon's a Balloon". David Niven's early years in Hollywood.
That's going back a bit MUM. Read that about 40 years ago and the other one - was it "Send on the Empty Horses"?

Some good yarns about Errol Flynn and others. They'd all be facing charges of historical abuse now!
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mid ulster maestro wrote:If anyone is into non sporting autobiographies I highly recommend 'The Moon's a Balloon". David Niven's early years in Hollywood.
I would be more interested in his years in the army.

IIRC, he was commissioned before the war but left to go to Hollywood, at outbreak of war came back to UK and rejoined,served through the war (including being in at D-Day,IIRC) and went back to USA after decommissioning.

Fascinating bloke - are there more volumes to his (auto)biography(ies)?

I might look that/those up.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
That's going back a bit MUM. Read that about 40 years ago and the other one - was it "Send on the Empty Horses"?

Some good yarns about Errol Flynn and others. They'd all be facing charges of historical abuse now!
:thumleft:

Thanks guys - just ordered both (secondhand) on Amazon.

Look forward to reading them.
I'm not arguing -
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

You wonder what sort of a player Cavanagh could have been for Ulster had he played rugby, possibly might have been an outhalf or centre, but that level of intensity and drive would have been Sexton-esque for us.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

[quote]You wonder what sort of a player Cavanagh could have been for Ulster had he played rugby, possibly might have been an outhalf or centre, but that level of intensity and drive would have been Sexton-esque for us.

He seems to have been a phenomenal athlete, but also (likingly) prone to a passion for Tayto Cheese & Onion crisps and Club orange at times, his weight fluctuated up and down by two stones depending on whether he had his mojo or not, but when he did, he was part of three all-Ireland winning teams, told he had the knees of a 70 year old when in his twenties (due to arthritus), I just find the whole story absorbing. He would have graced any team, and still would as a manager or motivator, could do worse than invite him in before the quarter final!