Irish Unity

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

How would you vote in a border poll?

Yes, to Irish Unity
57%
No, stay with England, Wales and Scotland
43%

Total votes: 30

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Irish Unity

Post by Jackie Brown »

An interesting question that has been bubbling away under the brexit farce. If it all goes to sh1t then a border poll looks likely. I've always considered myself a 'small u' unionist. Vote Alliance, Hate the DUP and all they stand for, detest 'loyalist culture', like the NHS and never had any inclination to change the status quo. I think Brexit has shifted that though along with the liberalisation of society in the South.

It's a yes to Irish Unity from me.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Re: Irish Unity

Post by nonplussed »

Same here.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

#me too

Definitely more Oirish since Brexit. My Brit passport is now at the back of the drawer
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Nah and mainly from a purely selfish point of view that I'm employed by the NICS. Otherwise yes.

Pre Brexit it was a definite no.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Would you want to inflict this sh1t hole on the Republic?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Do we really think the Republic wants us? I sometimes think that, for many in the south, the idea of a united island is great to dream about and sing about, so long as there's no danger of it actually happening. Would they really want a couple of million nordies, and not only the proddie ones either. I guess they might not want themuns just as much as they don't want usuns.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jetstream wrote:Would you want to inflict this sh1t hole on the Republic?
We're a stagnant pond. I'm now drawn to the South for the same reasons I would have rejected them 30 years ago
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote: We're a stagnant pond. I'm now drawn to the South for the same reasons I would have rejected them 30 years ago
That's fair. This place was a disaster zone in the 80's and more so before then. With the help of the EU and my generation's intolerance of an insular religious-driven society we have managed to drive ourselves forwards a few steps. We have a way to go but we are at least on a forward movement.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I agree with both of you guys. Brought up as a unionist, I find myself increasingly adrift from UK thinking and more inclined to think on an all island basis. Anyone any idea how the finances stack up and whether the man in the street in the south would balance the financial hit with the cultural victory?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Probably an economic disaster but to pi$h off the DUP, totally worth it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

solidarity wrote:I agree with both of you guys. Brought up as a unionist, I find myself increasingly adrift from UK thinking and more inclined to think on an all island basis. Anyone any idea how the finances stack up and whether the man in the street in the south would balance the financial hit with the cultural victory?
Our current Govt says it would be no issue and they are not exactly well known for overly prioritising a united Ireland so it seems reasonable to believe them.

I would imagine they are not assuming it would be taking NI and just dumping it unchanged into the current Ireland state. To be honest if that was all that unification was I don't think it would benefit anyone.....not even the most raving nationalists.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I've heard people talk of some sort of federal arrangement but that would keep a parliament of sorts at Stormont and that's the last thing we need.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote:I've heard people talk of some sort of federal arrangement but that would keep a parliament of sorts at Stormont and that's the last thing we need.
I think that would be inevitable, in the short term at least
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I would think the EU would ensure it was an economic success story. The EU is first and foremost a peace project. Reunification of Germany then the reunification of Ireland.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote:
solidarity wrote:I've heard people talk of some sort of federal arrangement but that would keep a parliament of sorts at Stormont and that's the last thing we need.
I think that would be inevitable, in the short term at least
If you had of asked me pre Good Firday Agreement era I'd of said no...... now I'd be a yes.

The current farce on the hill only further cements my opinion on this.

It would have to be under the guise of a new Ireland and not an absorption into the current Republic.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18