Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Re: Film Review Section *** NEW ***

Post by Gemma »

Saw Bedtime Stories a few nights ago. Was only going to see it for Russell Brand, I have to admit, but it was actually very funny. Definitely a kids movie, but very suitable for adults who are still kids at heart (and I can think of quite a few of those on this board!).

It's only about an hour and a half, which is just right. It's funny in a ridiculous kind of way, but if you've a couple of hours to kill, I'd recommend it. And not just for Russell (he's not really in it that much).
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

Saw Will Smith's new movie Seven Pounds night.

It's quite confusing to start with. The plot of the movie doesn't become clear until very near the end - well, it isn't confirmed until the end, but the viewer can pick up pieces here and there. It tells the story of a man who seems to be finding people at random to help, usually financially. I don't want to reveal too much, because it's all revealed in little bits along the way and I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

However I highly recommend it. It's not something to go and watch for a laugh, or if you want something you can watch without much thought. It's quite an intense movie which does require some thought, and it's a very worthwhile watch.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Australia
DOn't believe the critics - this is a good movie! :)

Slumdog millionaire
awesome flick - thoroughly enjoyed every minute!!! a must see.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Me and the potiential missus are going to the cinema to see a random film on either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Will let yah's know what we see and give a wee review!
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

ColinS wrote:Me and the potiential missus are going to the cinema to see a random film on either Tuesday or Wednesday.
If you can write a review of the film I dont hold much hope for her potential :twisted:
Why? Why not?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

againstthehead wrote:Australia
DOn't believe the critics - this is a good movie! :)

Slumdog millionaire
awesome flick - thoroughly enjoyed every minute!!! a must see.
I work on the system, if the critics think it's great I don't go and if they think it's crap I think it's great :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinS wrote:Me and the potiential missus are going to the cinema to see a random film on either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Should have taken her to Ravenhill on Saturday, if she was still speaking to you today then there was potential, if she refused to talk to you again then she was a waste of space anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Anybody been to see Defiance yet? I fancy going to it but would like to make sure it isn't cack.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Rooster wrote:
Should have taken her to Ravenhill on Saturday, if she was still speaking to you today then there was potential, if she refused to talk to you again then she was a waste of space anyway.
Some students have jobs Rooster, despite the economic downturn ;)
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Sod the film, how about a review of the potential Mrs :lol:
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

She's a bit young for you, Colin :lol:
Will give you an 'in depth' review on wednesday though!
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Film: Waltz With Bashir
Cinema: Cameo, Edinburgh

In glancing over the cinema listings, I found the whole nature of this film slightly odd. It's basically an animated documentary about the Sabra and Shatila massacre in 1982. In the opening minutes, the reason for the animation becomes apparent when the film-maker, Ari Folman, asks to draw one of his interviewees. The interviewee agrees but won't allow himself to be filmed. There are two main tracks that the film follows - the main dialogue is about Folman's own attempt to remember his role in the massacre but the image of the massacre itself is also built up by the various interviewees. The format seems slightly strange at first but as the movie progresses, it begins to feel much more comfortable and natural. Easily the best film I've seen in the last six months.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

AndyB wrote:Anybody been to see Defiance yet? I fancy going to it but would like to make sure it isn't cack.
I saw it, it's so-so.

True story but not sure how much is actually true. Good performances from Daniel Craig (Missus Jackie Brown loved it) and Liev Schreiber as the two older brothers. A wee bit ott americanised with Craigs character riding a white horse and lines like "Jews don't fight", "Well these Jews do!"

It kills a couple of hours but it's your typical holywood movie and a wee bit far fetched especially the climax (but i won't spoil it).
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

saw Defiance last week and largely agree with Jackie Brown - its a sort of Robin Hood for Jews - and its cold (well looks cold but i doubt if the actors really got frostbite) a lot of the time (even worse then Ravenhill last saturday me thinks) . Quite a few corny moments (like in film Australia) one minute they are freezing and the next minute the sun is out, the iceicles are rapidly melting and they are all smiles and getting ready to kill more nasty krauts. Think wee jane wud have preferred a romantic comedy as half way thru at a nice gory part she muttered -"you do take me 2 c some films." which i dont think she meant literally.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Appears like she's cancelling tomorrow night, might go with some mates!