The Blame Game

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Maybe cosseted was the wrong word. But they do need to be looked after, properly and developed as elite athletes. They also need to be fast tracked into the ML, A International and Full Ireland teams. We should further restrict the number of foreign players we have and create opportunity for young lads to come through.
Players who do not perform should be dropped and should be aware of it.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

that sounds about right to me, particularly the last sentence..

it's a bit embarrassing when you think of all the cobblers eos has been talking about how he didn't want to drop anyone because it would have put too much pressure on them - can you imagine an aussie coach saying anything of the like?? no - because they're winners with loads of bottle, who thrive off pressure.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Hi all.I have only just registered for the forum but have been reading it for a little while now.Anyway I would just like to say on this topic that I agree with Jackie.Jim Glennon does appear to be singling out Trimble or his inclusion as one of the main reasons we lost.I however feel that almost all the players were not great on the night.Our front row were Ok except for the line out throwing of Flannery.The second row, yet again in a big match, were atrocious(Has the great Paul O'Connell ever performed against top class international opposition---Don't get me wrong I think he is a good player but has still not achieved his potential)The back row were anonymous.Easterby did Ok in the first half but I would still prefer Neil Best.Leamy had one of his poor games and Wallace should not be playing as he is injured.Reddan did fine.O'Gara was a joke for the third game in a row.If only we had another option.It's a shame Paddy Wallace was not given a chance against Georgia to see if he is up to it because we still don't know if he offers anything positive although he could hardly be worse than O'Gara.Darcy may as well have not been there for all he contributed and O'Driscoll did everything he could but because he and to a lesser extent Darcy are doing the back rows work it limits what they can do as an attacking force.Horgan and Trimble both did not get much of a chance to shine but at least they(especially Trimble) attempted to attack when they were passed the ball which wasn't enough times.Both also though looked a bit suspect in defence at times.I believe that Trimble should be moved to 13 with BOD at 12.Dempsey almost had his usual game but was liable for the second try.He offers little in offence though.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Yes welcome to the board Shan. Your summary of the performance of the players pretty much matches mine.

It's also nice to hear that a man from Limerick doesn't think the the sun shines out of Jerry Flannery's a**e!! :D
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

welcome shan

can't really argue with too much of that
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Pretty radical thinking Shan but I cant see even a drowning O'Sullivan moving Andy Trimble to 13 and BOD to 12 - what would he do with his other prodigy Darcy.

I believe that there is a wind of change in the air and that even if O'Sullivan is still at the helm come 6N's time he'll be a changed man because now he has not just Ulster men scoffing at him but his own Munster men and Leinster men too, not forgetting Connaght also. The press who hung on every breath he breathed have started to turn on him and its only a matter of time.

As for blame - it'll matter naff all soon because EOS will be the fall guy. God at least I hope so.
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Yes Le Paul I really cannot see Eddie even considering this as an option.Unfortunately because of a couple of good performances now in distant memory Eddie and others think Darcy is irreplaceable.I think Eddie the clown would prefer to lose the next game playing all his little favourites than having the ambition and courage to try other players which could possibly still end in failure but I for one want to see the team play as if their lives depend on it from the first second and this cannot happen by picking the same team again.Could he possibly go for a four in a row of crap performances and almost the same selection.I think there is a quote that says insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.Perhaps we could get the men in white coats to take him away before he does any more damage.I think it may be safe to say that he is guilty by reason of insanity of murdering any chance we may have had of getting to the semi finals(As far as we could have gone in my opinion)
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I knew when I saw the trys Trimble would take the blame for all the wrong reasons

The 1st try Trimble told Easterby and Redden he was going open side to harry the outhalf which appeared to be the orders of the night

Dempsey was aware of those orders and the fact that the area behind the scrum blindside was undefended but was totally out of position to cover that area of the pitch and didn't have the pace to rectified his mistake

where was he when the touchdown was made nowhere close

The second try was somewhat similiar Dempsey made the call that it was his ball as he was running across and Trimble was running back but failed to make the catch

In the circumstances therefore no blame attaches to Trimble for either Try
EoS knows that
the reports are only feeding the prejudices of their readers who reading it will believe it

But I doubt if it will have effect on Eddies selections

Noticed on the Northern Ireland News the RoG is limping quite badly walking to the bus so Paddy Wallace could be fed as the next sacrificial lamb to the Southern press for Irelands failure to qualify

What are the odds
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Shan wrote
I think Eddie the clown would prefer to lose the next game playing all his little favourites than having the ambition and courage to try other players which could possibly still end in failure
Precisely
I for one want to see the team play as if their lives depend on it
Precisely

Sadly, while the blame will still land on Trimble’s shoulders, sadly and ultimately it is all down to O'Sullivan’s failed strategy and blindness. He'll get away with his contract (or have it bought out for 1 million €uros) and the rest of the guys will be lambasted for a dire performance. :twisted: :twisted:
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Article about Ireland from the daily telegraph here ... telling us a lot of what we knew already, including:
Body language:

As a regular visitor to Ireland's soulless hotel in a factory estate on the outskirts of Bordeaux I can confirm that the squad are not happy there – it has no atmosphere or feeling of being in France and part of the World Cup. No quiet walks or gossipy coffees, no relaxing vista. You do not see many smiles from the Ireland players, traditionally the best and most approachable tourists. The hotel (four star and comfortable but totally without character) was foisted on them by the tournament organisers. Ireland have definitely drawn the short straw in Bordeaux.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man under pressure:

Eddie O'Sullivan has always set the tone in the Ireland camp and he has appeared careworn and stressed for a while now. He has a computer for a brain and it can feel like a stressful job interview when you ask a question, but in Bordeaux he has untypically stumbled over details – match itineraries, pool permutations and the like – and has appeared bewildered at the loss of form.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Also pertinent, widely muted by fans and press, so why couldn't EO'S or Murphy see this?
Selection:

Last November, Ulster's Neil Best produced two of the most physical performances by an Ireland flanker as they blew South Africa and Australia away, but since then he has consistently been passed over. Best may not be Eddie O'Sullivan's favourite character, but he adds something to a team who can be predictable.

Peter Stringer has been off form for much of the year and should have been dropped earlier. Geordan Murphy needs encouragement not banishment. O'Gara has been excused poor games way too often before ever he arrived in France and Malcolm O'Kelly – now fully fit – should have been introduced to keep O'Connell and O'Callaghan on their toes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planning:

Questionable. Ireland's top players deserved a rest after the Six Nations but with none of their provinces advancing beyond the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup they enjoyed a quiet end of season in any case. Ireland should have taken a much stronger team down to Argentina and they should have put out the first-choice side against Scotland in their first warm-up. The training camp and match at Bayonne made little sense and the performance against Italy was lamentable. Hindsight is 20-20 but some pitfalls could have been avoided.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

They would be far safer sending the whole damed lot out for a massive pissup tonight and cancel training tomorrow, at least it might lift their minds and let them relax and possibly play a bit better, as it is nothing else seems to have worked.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

bit of team bonding over a pint or twelve.

in fact give them a few shots before they step on to the pitch, give them that feeling of invincibility that only alcohol can provide.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.