Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

ye we need to finalise meeting up for this weekend still.
Why? Why not?
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

did you have any luck with o neills?
Why? Why not?
the Moff
Novice

Post by the Moff »

Chaps and Chick (!),

I'm celebrating the start of my 28th year on Friday night (foolish timing, I know) so won't be watching the Ulster game, however I would welcome a match report if anyone fancies coming up to the Bull on Upper Street after to continue the post-match celebrations.

I should hopefully be over the hangover by Sunday, although watching Ireland tends to bring on a fair bit of nausea these days anyway, so will be hopefully be around for the Pumas game.

Right, I've been here since 7:45 and have barely done a spit of work...
<insert witty comment here>
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ultimate ulster chick »

hey Moff!

Colin and I are going for dinner for another friend's birthday (although she's turning a rather young 23, much like I will be next week! :P ) at Exmouth Market (??) and will be popping up to yours after. Will bring the score, but no match report!!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Ithryn wrote:did you have any luck with o neills?
'fraid not yet... been very busy at work and won't be able to make it tomorrow night as I'm out of London on work and not back until late.

Their contact details are here if you want to try them yourself:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ls/Holborn
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

so... anyone got any ideas for Saturday? Seems there's an opportunity for a loooong afternoon/evening in the pub..
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

im up for that or even the last 2 matches ulster and then scotland, will waxy's show the ulster match?
Why? Why not?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

soz guys, I won't be around.

Waxys website says they are showing the 2 RWC QF games but you might be able to convince them to turn on the Ulster game between the QFs.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

do we no any other bars with setanta in the centre, if not we should ring waxy's and check.
Why? Why not?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Ithryn wrote:do we no any other bars with setanta in the centre,
I looked into this a year ago... there were a few other bars in central London with Setanta (e.g. the Porterhouse) but they really had it for GAA on weekend afternoons. They didn't want to show rugby on a Fri or Sat evening as they were geared up for an after-work crowd or people out for night in the west end. Waxys was the only place I found that would show the ML games.

The situation may have changed now given that a lot more pubs have Setanta because of the football.
Ithryn wrote: if not Ithryn should ring waxy's and check.
fixed it for you :wink:

The manager was Bobby (from N Ireland) and the assistant manager was Tara so you should ask for them.

One place maybe worth trying is O'Neills in Great Queen Street. The manager (Keiron) was from N Ireland and while he didn't use to have Setanta he was always helpful putting on Ulster games shown on BBC Wales or Sky. They may have Setanta now.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

ok ill give these places a wee buzz later today, giving me responsibility is a risky one mind :D
Why? Why not?
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

sorted rang the o neills manage, tried him first as i reckon waxy's will be packed to the point of unpleasantness.

they now have setanta, and hope to show the ulster match on at least one screen depending on demand so we need a decent attendance.

so who all will be coming, me and aarons it seems at least? and shall we have a massive session and watch all 3 matches or just the ulster and then france newzealand match straight after it which would be my choice as there is a gap between the 2pm kick of england game an dthe 5.30 kick of ulster game.
Why? Why not?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ithryn wrote: so who all will be coming, me and aarons it seems at least? and shall we have a massive session and watch all 3 matches or just the ulster and then france newzealand match straight after it which would be my choice as there is a gap between the 2pm kick of england game an dthe 5.30 kick of ulster game.
Perhaps you could use the gap to pack some food in between the beer then you might survive to the final whistle :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

are you implying that im weak livered and couldnt drink for 8 hours straight :twisted: im insulted :lol:
Why? Why not?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote: Perhaps you could use the gap to pack some food in between the beer then you might survive to the final whistle :lol:
If they can get a table they'll be fine... O'Neills do table service so you can eat, drink and watch at the same time!