South African Regions for Magners again?

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Windeos
Warrior Chief

South African Regions for Magners again?

Post by Windeos »

Just had a read on planet rugby. Seems they are hinting about coming to play in europe because they aren't getting their way with the SAZA crew.

http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1825 ... 81,00.html
SARU considers northern option
Wednesday 22nd April 2009

SARU Managing Director Andy Marinos has confirmed that SARU will not think twice about looking north for competition for their franchises and provinces in the northern hemisphere.

Given the ongoing failure of the SANZAR alliance to come up with agreement on Super 14 expansion, and ARU CEO John O'Neill's continued belligerence and verbal tirades at anybody who does not do as he wants, Marinos said SARU was almost at the stage where it would give up on trying to get a unified front for the Super Rugby continuation.

Both ARU and NZRU have solidified their stances, with the two bodies in general agreement on most themes, but SARU's stance is vastly different - including their opinion that South Africa should have a sixth franchise.

"We're doing everything in our power to ensure SANZAR stays alive, but we have to be realistic and work within the constraints we have," said Marinos to The Times in New Zealand on Wednesday.

"We are approaching a critical point now.

"I've put forward a position and South Africa will hold that position.

"We have compromised and are in a serious stage of negotiation and all parties need to come to the party.

"They've been talking about a trans-Tasman/Asian structure so we must perhaps also look at what our options are.

"We will exhaust every avenue within SANZAR but if we can't reach a compromise we'll have no hesitation in looking to the north."

Beyond just looking, Marinos was also quick to point out the number of positives SARU would gain in joining northen competition.

"For a lot of reasons it makes sense; the same time zones, it's more attractive for broadcasters, less travel and there has been a resurgence of the strength of club rugby there because of the Heineken Cup," Marinos said.

O'Neill has blamed SA Rugby's stance for delaying the possibility of an agreement being reached, saying SARU is not prepared to compromise for the better good of Super Rugby expansion - a view which has been met with a mixed response.

"I think all the moving so far has been by Australia and New Zealand. That's the truth of it," he said.

"And I think you get to the point where you can't move any more. We, Australia and New Zealand, have shifted. At this stage, all we have out of South Africa is the press release that came out, which I've held up to the light and I still don't understand it.

"So I'm sure we'll hear more this week, but it's a very difficult negotiation.

"Our preference is still very much a Super 15, a round and a half, what we call the perfect outcome. We've been absolutely consistent about that.

"If you end up in a complete impasse, well then we've got a game in Australia and New Zealand which requires a big chunk of mass entertainment product.

"And if it can't include South Africa, then trans-Tasman-Asia Pacific options have to be looked at."

However, Marinos has fired back, stating: "I take exception to the fact that Australia say they have 'compromised'.

"I honestly can't see what they have compromised on and in any new structure we agree on they'll be getting more than they had.

"The only people compromising are those of us who have a competition structure to compromise (the Currie Cup and the Air New Zealand Cup)."
I know this has been raised before but just found it interesting.