Paul Shields retires

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bogbunny
Initiate

Paul Shields retires

Post by Bogbunny »

Northampton Saints today announced that Paul Shields has been forced to retire from playing rugby with immediate effect.

Paul Shields in action against Montpellier last season
© Getty Images
Shields, 30, joined the Saints from Ulster in the summer of 2007. Capped twice by Ireland, he made 41 appearances in the black, green and gold and scored six tries.
The last two seasons have certainly been a successful time for the hooker, who collected winners’ medals from the European Challenge Cup (by virtue of playing in the group stages), National League One and EDF Energy National Trophy, which added to his Celtic League and Celtic Cup winners’ medals from his time at Ulster.

However Shields suffered a neck injury in March which has forced him to reluctantly retire on medical advice.

“Moving to Northampton was the best move I ever made, rugby wise, and I’m devastated that I have to retire,” Shields said today. “The fans have been wonderful, the town has been wonderful and my family and I are very settled here.

“The coaching and medical staff have been tremendous with me through what has been a very hard time following my injury and I would like to thank them for their support.

“I’ll miss playing with the boys. I’ve made some great life-long friends and I will really miss running out at Franklin’s Gardens. In a small way I’m happy that I ended my playing days here because where else is better to play?”

However Shields will continue to be a familiar face at Franklin’s Gardens, assisting in the administration of team affairs while continuing his rehabilitation from injury under the watchful eyes of the club’s medical team. Furthermore Shields’s wife Gemma will be launching the Northamptonshire franchise of Rugbytots, a weekly play session for children between the ages of two and seven.

“Paul is one of the biggest characters at the club and it is sad that injury has forced a premature end to his career,” said Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinder. “However I’m happy that Paul and Gemma have decided to stay in the area and remain close to the club.”

Best of luck Paul, sorry to hear this. :salut:
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Paul Shields retires

Post by pwrmoore »

Yeah, we may have joked about his ability to hit a barn door but you couldn't fault him for effort and we were probably more than a little harsh on this throwing.

He seems to have had a good time at Northampton and it has been a mutually beneficial time for both of them. I hate to see a player forced out early through injury but far better to go that way than to do lasting debilitating damage.

Best of luck Shieldsy :salut:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Sad to hear this, I liked Shieldsy. Really nice guy and had plenty of time for fans.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Yes best wishes to Paul for the future.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Indeed a good guy who could not throw for twopence but was a barnstormer about the field.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

you couldn't wish to meet a nicer fella. best of luck shieldsy.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Indeed, nice guy, no big loss to rugby though!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

fuzzylogic wrote:Indeed, nice guy, no big loss to rugby though!

When you play over 100 games for your province, we'll say the same about you

All the best Shieldsy, I agree with pwr we were a bit harsh on the old throwing but a top guy and great trier. :salut:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:Indeed, nice guy, no big loss to rugby though!

All the best Shieldsy, I agree with pwr we were a bit harsh on the old throwing but a top guy and great trier. :salut:
Well said ColinM , harsh on throwing ? us lot , never :lol:
Hope Shieldsy succeeds in life no matter what route he takes from now on :salut: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
FNMilk
Initiate

Post by FNMilk »

It's a real shame when any player's career is cut short by injury. However, given that it was his neck, thankfully the medical team caught it before it really was too late.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by ColinM on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:53 am
fuzzylogic wrote:

Typical . . . Ulster Rugby isnt a provincial thing anymore, its a professional club and thats who he played for and when he finally slipped down the pecking order enough he jumped ship.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by ColinM on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:53 am
fuzzylogic wrote:

Typical . . . Ulster Rugby isnt a provincial thing anymore, its a professional club and thats who he played for and when he finally slipped down the pecking order enough he jumped ship.
A professional club that represents the game of rugby in the province of Ulster. I think everyone would agree that if thats really your attitude then you'd be welcome to feck off and support some other professional club.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Paul Shields was a good bloke - speaking from personnal experience - so good luck to him.

The day sentimentality and a bit of kindness and dignity are absent from Rugby is the day we become a souless money buisiness like soccer.

Lets hopw we never reach that stage.