Schools Cup 2010

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Schools Cup 2010

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pwrmoore wrote:
trueblue2006 wrote: surely all coaches are there for the good of the Rugby club and are coaching boys to win their ultimate prize,
There is a a frequently voiced opinion that those two aims are not necessarily complementary, and that when forced to choose the "top three" schools on the winners table tend to focus too much on the latter to the detriment of the former.......
...... according to everyone else outside the "top three" :wink: :lol:

Other points well made - do you ever get tired being the voice of reason? :bowdown:

And for what it's worth, trueblue2006 makes VERY valid and well-reasoned points too. I think the last point of his last paragraph echoes the point you make Paul. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

A well reasoned response there. Perhaps you would like to join us full on in debating our little corner of the rugby world.

I for one am glad that Methody lost this year will bo good for someone else to do well for a change.

In regards to methodys coaching I heard quite an opposite rumour the other week in the pub from a concerned individual that the coach was not getting enough time with his players. Though I put that down to laying the groundwork for excuses :D
Why? Why not?
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

Ithryn wrote:A well reasoned response there. Perhaps you would like to join us full on in debating our little corner of the rugby world.

I for one am glad that Methody lost this year will bo good for someone else to do well for a change.

In regards to methodys coaching I heard quite an opposite rumour the other week in the pub from a concerned individual that the coach was not getting enough time with his players. Though I put that down to laying the groundwork for excuses :D
Let's not get too upset at the bruised sensitivities - MCB'll have to take the rough with the smooth. But so do CCB and RBAI this year. It's the price of fame, or as somone once put it "The farther the monkey goes up the pole, the more he shows his *rse".

And before I'm accused, I don't subscribe to the "Yah Boo, the favourites are beat" mindset - it only represents inverted thinking. Excellence should be encouraged and rewarded but it's not exclusive to a postcode. The aforementioned institutions and their supporters would be best emulate Beattiespastie, and accept defeat gracefully, while they retire to plot their 'revenge'. Time will tell if it's the start of a trend or just a blip.

A crumb for the MCBers, and it pains me to say it as a BRA man, for the first time in YEARS there's a real gaggle of ex MCB lads staying in the game after school. The real criticism levelled at MCB was that they left their success at Pirrie Park, when Ulster rugby in all its forms needed and needs that talent pool matured into the adult sport - be it the Ulster XV or Club 5th XV. :stir:
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
Heartbubble
Novice

Post by Heartbubble »

Beattiespastie wrote:Well done to Ballymena for a thoroughly deserved victory over the MCB lads....I am a Methody man through and through but the lads didnt turn up at Ravenhill on Thursday. The error count was the killer from the word go and the Ballymena number 10 was outstanding in his kicking all over the park. MCB didnt come out of the stalls at all and they looked strangely muted and nervous and that became all too apparent when the whistle went with Ballymena attacking with great intent putting he MCB lads on the back foot from which they never recovered. A 15 minute spell in the second half was all MCB had to offer and on the back of yet another error at the death Ballymena got their deserved winner.
I cannot help thinking that the team missed the balance of Colin Martin in the coaching set up to counter the style of Nicky Wells . Methody played a few players cisedn posistions unfamiliar to them and it showed and I wonder what the players thought of being criticised in the Belfast Telegraph by their coach instead of on the training paitch or dressing room at Pirrie Park?
I will still go to Ravenhill and enjoy a facinating game on St Paddys day and may the best side win!
Much as I am enjoying Niki Wells's misery I really don't think so Beattiespastie. Funny how you did'nt seem so concerned about this perceived coaching imbalance throughout the season when Methody were winning everything.

Having said that if he had been present on thursday at least there would have been somebody to hand out the hugs to the boys substituted whom Andy B seems to be so concerned about.

Boys sometimes believe their own hype and don't perform. That is sport and why we watch it.
michaelandress
Novice

Post by michaelandress »

My name is Michael Andress, as can be seen from my username. My son has been playing for Methody 1st XV this season. It has been brought to my attention that a user of the site has registered with UAFC today under the username "andress" and has posted a message on the skules rgb forum, topic; Schools Cup 2010 which includes the line "Much as I am enjoying Niki Wells's misery etc".

The only Andresses that I am aware of in Northern Ireland are my family and my brother's family. I have checked with my brother this morning and the message was not posted by him (nor does he believe it was posted by his sons). The message was certainly not posted by my son

I have never contributed to the site and did not contribute the message under the username "andress". I do not agree with the sentiment expressed. I am concerned, because there are so few Andresses in Northern Ireland and one of them does actually play for MCB, that people who read this site will believe that the posting came from my family. I would like this matter addressed i.e. it clarified on the site that "andress" has nothing to do with the Andress family. Also, I would like the message removed and the username removed.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

To be fair im sure that post more than cleared it up mate, but perhaps one of our nice mods will be in touch to assist you. They could easily request the previous bloke changes his user name.

Its interesting that the schools cup thread has drilled up more passion and concern than most threads concerning our professional team.

A quick check on the public surnames database shows 3 people per million with the andress surname in the UK, so 2 families in NI would be above average so you could be right in your feeling about your surnames popularity.
Why? Why not?
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

i know exactly how u feel mate.
few months back some clown decided to create an account here with the username 'whiteknightotfheweld'
nicked my avatar, signature, all my best lines...

caused me no end of grief.

in the end fermain got a bit cranky and told him to wind it in. maybe he'll do the same with whatever joker has decided to create an account that u feel is nothing short of identity theft.

just so you know - the odds of randomly picking a 7 letter username and coming up with that particular combination of letters is 1/8,031,810,176 (and that's without considering the possibility of using numbers or other characters). I personally would find it very hard to believe that this is a coincidence.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Hi Michael - good to see you have joined this illustrious messageboard.
Any chance you'll be at the Rosie for some prematch drinks tomorrow?
Frank and I should be there from 1.30pm to 2.30pm.

Cheers/slainte
Mike (from Holywood)

ps Methody suck.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
michaelandress
Novice

Post by michaelandress »

Michael - sure you know I don't drink.
I'm not saying this message board is not illustrious but if it was, how did you get on it?

ps always nice to hear your constructive comments
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

I went to school (Larne Grammar) with two people who had Andress as a surname!

Im going to take a wild guess and say its not as uncommon as you think MichaelAndress!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

YoungMan wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:I went to school (Larne Grammar) with two people who had Andress as a surname!

Im going to take a wild guess and say its not as uncommon as you think MichaelAndress!
I am flabbergasted....................You went to school
Be fair - he did say that "school" was Larne Grammar! :duck:

Oxymoron? :wink:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
combatlogo
Novice

Post by combatlogo »

Any truth to the rumour that the Clongowes' full back has signed for Ulster (he's an Ulster lad apparently)? Looked seriously good in their victory over Michael's yesterday.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

For the avoidance of any doubt i also went to a very good school that had two pupils with the surname Andress.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Medallion Shield final ends in a 10 all draw.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Heartbubble, I didnt express ANY concerns throughout the season as from what I observed at Pirrie Park every weekend things were going just fine. The trouble started with the RSA game when I thought we didnt look to be firing on all cylinders and that concern grew with subsequent games. Nicky Wells is a great lad/coach but I believe Colin Martin gave a great balance as he is a very postive influence on young players.
The Wells legacy at Methody is a fantastic one and I have no doubt Nicky will go to the great successes his father brought the school but in my humble opinion a bit of balance is sometimes needed and the Wells/Martin combination was a great one.
Methody will learn from this and become stronger and the pool of talent in the squad this year and the lads coming through wil make us formidable opposistion again next year.
This years final was superb and it was a deserved win for a great Ballymena team who had a 'never say die' spirit. :cheers: