General Election 2010

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

General Election 2010

Post by ColinS »

So, big Gordon has called the Election to be on the 6th May... the question is, after the whole fiasco over expenses and numerous other scandals closer to home, will you be voting?

Got my first leaflet through the door this morning from the UUP / Torys / Whatever they're calling themselves now. I can safely say I won't be voting anywhere near the Tories as long as I have breath in my body, and with Labour screwing up the economy, I think I'm gonna vote Lib Dem, mainly because I agree with their policies on crime and disorder (3,000 more police officers, less paperwork).

The BBC do quite a handy election guide online: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... efault.stm

Last year, while doing A Levels I had a massive interest in Politics, but now after expenses and that some politicians have been found out to have abused the system, I don't care much anymore. Maybe this election will change this for me (and other people)?
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: General Election 2010

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ah, bless!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

The thought that our wee Colin/Colzo has now a vote and a say in the future of this country quite scares me - and in fact I'd hazzard a guess that that very fact alone should be enough to ensure that most people on this site do make the effort to get out and vote as well.
And whilst we are on briefly on politics, If you dont vote then i reckon you dont really have the right to complain.

ps and for my money one of the best places to follow the election locally is www.sluggerotoole.com
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

following SF claiming that the UU and DUP were being sectarian by pulling out of FST, I see that they've pulled Maskey out of South Belfast - lol.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Yawn, I would care if the politicians we voted for actually had any power. But they don't, waste of time.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

mmm, that certainly used to be the case but with the local assembly and the possibility of a split parliment, such excuses don't really hold true anymore...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Oh God! I don't think that's any better, ATH. If Alex Salmond and his cronies are left with the deciding votes in any decision that affects the whole country, I'm off to France!
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

YoungMan wrote:Colin does their policing policy cover Northern Ireland or are we being ignored by them?

I think Northern Ireland are in a special circumstance as the PSNI are still recruiting annually, whereas some forces in England & Wales have halted recruitment to as late as 2013, I think was mentioned, although 2012 is definitely the latest.

I'm sure someone can / will have access to the intake of new recruits and retirements from the PSNI, but I know that 400 people - 200 from each 'side' (not inc. ethnic minorities, who I think come under the protestant 'side') - are invited to Garnerville to have their basic police training.

400 a year is quite a lot. I'm not comparing the size of Lancashire to NI, but Lancashire Constabulary only gave out 1000 application packs, and a miniscule amount (not sure on exact numbers but will find out for you) of those applicants will get a job out of it (possibly fewer than 50 in that thousand).

Worth noting that many forces in England / Wales also have a massive backlog of successful applicants who are waiting to start the job.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Might be interesting if the Pirate Party up holding the balance of power.

www.pirateparty.org.uk

ps - known in Wales as Plaid Mor-leidr DU but they dont seem to be running any candidates in Wales.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Bloody Biggots
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:Bloody Biggots
Gordon knows all about biggots :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

There is only one party in the United States, the Property Party...and it has two right wings: Republican and Democrat. Republicans are a bit stupider, more rigid, more doctrinaire in their laissez-faire capitalism than the Democrats, who are cuter, prettier, a bit more corrupt—until recently... and more willing than the Republicans to make small adjustments when the poor, the black, the anti-imperialists get out of hand. But, essentially, there is no difference between the two parties
Not a whole lot different in the United Kingdom I suspect. Either way it makes little difference to the average person which party is in power as running the country for the benefit of its citizens is not a matter of importance to most political parties.Some individuals may enter politics with idealistic notions but their voice is quickly drowned out.

Some even start out speaking in a clear and straightforward manner but after a few years of experience end up saying things like this........
Although we are firmly standing on the strategic staircase we must ensure we are taking a holistic approach to each issue from cradle to grave.Our opponents are taking only a high altitude view of the public concerns but we must also get down to the level of granularity in terms of analysis and resolution. What I’d be looking to do is assess and mitigate immediate impacts and develop a high level overview to help frame the conversation with the key stakeholders.
In other words most politicians are full of shíte and should be treated with caution and in some cases contempt.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Just thought I'd let you all know I met Gordon Brown yesterday in Manchester Picadilly train station
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ColinS wrote:Just thought I'd let you all know I met Gordon Brown yesterday in Manchester Picadilly train station
How truly wonderful for you. Was this a pre-arranged meeting or just a chance encounter? Did you get his autograph or a picture so you will always remember this great moment?
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

isn't he in the papers today for saying that yesterday was a terrible day, utter waste of time...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.