Nine sign for Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Nine sign for Ulster

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:Is he clearly better than what we have?
If not, we don't need him. The last thing we need is another nearly-but-not-quite half back to add to the four we already have.
A straight swap of Steenson for O'Connor when his contract is up would be a step in the right direction Snipe, he was captain of the Irish U21 squad in 2005 and Jonny Sexton was on the bench as cover in that tournament, others in that team included 1F, Henry, Caldy, Andress, McKenzie and Willis was scrum half I think :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

If not, we don't need him. The last thing we need is another nearly-but-not-quite half back to add to the four we already have.
It's one of those unanswerable questions. The only evidence is that he has been a great success for 4 or 5 seasons in a high level rugby environment. That evidence indicates that he is a place kicker of the highest order and when he plays his teams score tries - and lots of them - and wins games. The proof of the pudding as always is in the eating. Without seeing him play at M.L. or ERC level, we'll never know. He's a better place kicker than either by a very long margin. That's a start.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

There's a big difference in standard between the top and the bottom of ND1 (or whatever they call it now..) The better teams like Exeter, who just missed out on promotion last year, would regularly put big scores on the teams at the bottom.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:Ha only just spotted this!
right... :) so.. you didn't slip your response in a couple of days later, in order to have the last word?

fail
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

exactly - tbh our 'answer' at 10, to the extent we need one (I still think the 2 we have could step up in the right team), doesn't lie in ND1...

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

darkside lightside wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:Ha only just spotted this!
right... :) so.. you didn't slip your response in a couple of days later, in order to have the last word?

fail
Ok Juan Kerr - you got me.
I struggled for an appropriate reply, and after thinking for several days realised I wasn't going to come up with anything.

Hence my pretence at not noticing what you'd posted sooner.

Fail? Speak for yourself Del Monte - if your da had known how you'd turn out he'd just have had a 5knuckleshuffle instead.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:I struggled for an appropriate reply, and after thinking for several days realised I wasn't going to come up with anything.

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

UR don't have a great reputation for being a professional outfit :duck: so I was wondering are players like Steenson, McKenzie, Andress, Stevenson, Bowe jnr etc being monitored or is it a case of out of sight out of mind, one thing that did come out of the meeting with SL, DH and BMcL was that Humps said that they had looked at a few players from the other Provinces but no-one was interested in coming to UR for whatever reason, in the light of this surely it would be advantageous to bring some of these exiles home, of course it goes without saying that they have to be better than what we have...........
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well after watching todays match between Wasps and Cardiff anyone who thinks Rush is a waste of money or a NIQ place they really do need to go and think again, the man was outstanding in attack, defence and overall game management and thoroughly deserved yet another man of the match award.
X-man for captain next year if anyone has any sense.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:Well after watching todays match between Wasps and Cardiff anyone who thinks Rush is a waste of money or a NIQ place they really do need to go and think again, the man was outstanding in attack, defence and overall game management and thoroughly deserved yet another man of the match award.
X-man for captain next year if anyone has any sense.
Agree with you on the captaincy front. Henry is too inexperienced and Besty hasn't really shown the leadership at times that we have desperately needed. Not a critcism of either of them, but think they both have enough on their plates for next season without having the burden of the captaincy.

Rush has proven for Cardiff that he's not just over in the NH for the paypacket. As someone who could provide a bit of real steel, leadership and bring on some of the younger forwards (Henry, Pollock, Falloon) I'm hoping he'll be a great asset over the next couple of seasons.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Agreed, I said it before on a previous thread that the first thing BMcL should do when Rush arrives is give him the captaincy and let Chris Henry learn from him, as for the man himself he was as has already been stated absolutely superb today and for his time with Cardiff, IF he can maintain that form for Ulster he could possibly go down as the best overseas player that we have signed, Pollock, Faloon, Diack, Henry and Ferris will learn so much from him that will hold UR in good stead for the future... SUPER SIGNING.......
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rush was absolutely immense in today's Amlin SF.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:Rush was absolutely immense in today's Amlin SF.
It was not a one off either cos if I remember right he also got MOTM for their away match at Quins when they trounced them to gain that Amlin place and has been in that form all season.
I really think they can beat Toulon if that was the best they could manage against Connacht last night.
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Only problem is his age, he has been probably the best forward in Wales this season by a long way, however, given his age I am still in doubt whether or not he will replicate that form. His leadership though will be vital and a player like him who can drage teams to wins is priceless. Richie McCaw does it for the AB's, Elsom did it for Leinster, Heaslip is now doing it this season for Leinster, Parks done it for Glasgow, BOD does it for Ireland. Very few players can do what he does at club and international level (in some cases)
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

scrum5 wrote:UR don't have a great reputation for being a professional outfit :duck: so I was wondering are players like Steenson, McKenzie, Andress, Stevenson, Bowe jnr etc being monitored or is it a case of out of sight out of mind, one thing that did come out of the meeting with SL, DH and BMcL was that Humps said that they had looked at a few players from the other Provinces but no-one was interested in coming to UR for whatever reason, in the light of this surely it would be advantageous to bring some of these exiles home, of course it goes without saying that they have to be better than what we have...........

We have already have words with Stevenson and Andress and my dogs tell me that they said it was too early to talk and that Ulster should come back next year and have a chat.