1F

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ralgex
Novice

1F

Post by Ralgex »

Has the battle for 1F's signature already started.......??

Happened to be in Victoria Square yesterday afternoon and slipped up to Ivory for coffee.On entering I saw Ryan Constable sitting there and thought nothing less of it. Then about 10 minutes later Sir Ian McGeehan and Steve Meehan arrived and joined Constable. Again I thought nothing much of this until a further 5 minutes later a well bronzed 1F arrived and joined the party.

Discussions were going on as I left. Both McGeehan and Meehan appeared to make their 'pitches' to 1F and I was surprised how intense it all looked. One things for sure they weren't sharing their photo albums from the Lions Tour........

I could of course be wrong in thinking this meeting about a potential move......perhaps 1F's Face Book or Twitter page will explain all.......
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 1F

Post by Jackie Brown »

:banghead:

I hope the IRFU show a bit more determination to keep Ferris at Ulster than they did with Tommy Bowe.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
StevieD
Novice

Post by StevieD »

I think this is a subject all Ulster fans would prefer to never have the misfortune to speak about!

Is it going to happen? Probably...

Lets hope and pray its wayyyyyy later rather than sooner
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It's called bargaining and getting the most for your player.
After last nights opening performance by Wannenberg though I would not be as worried as I would have been this time last year about 1F possibly moving, predict we see him in no more than 8 matches this year anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

when is 1F's contract up anyway?
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Ferris is signed for the next 2 seasons at least I believe.
Why? Why not?
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

Cant blame a player for trying to get as good a deal as possible for himself,especially one as injury prone as Ferris appears to be. Agree with Rooster about Wannenburg who scored the sort of try last night that I always thought Ferris should be scoring but doesn't.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I can't believe a senior player would be seen talking to the management of our main opponents in this years Heineken Cup in a public place when under contract and in the midst of our pre-season!

That is completely unprofessional in my opinion.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

If he has two years to go it is a bit early too, not the time to be even discussing your future imo
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

1F, Moody and Watson is a scarily physical back row!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Isn't Ralgex meant to soothe and ease? :lol:

Anyway...
Discussions were going on as I left. Both McGeehan and Meehan appeared to make their 'pitches' to 1F and I was surprised how intense it all looked. One things for sure they weren't sharing their photo albums from the Lions Tour........
ffs...whens your next novel out Ralgie?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
VuvazelaMan
Novice

Post by VuvazelaMan »

Troll.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I think it is at the end of this season that Ferris's contract is up, although with the salary cap in England and Watson, Moody and Taylor already signed up for the next two years I'd be quite suprised if Bath were looking to sign another top back row, exceptional though he is.

Am I not right in thinking it's illegal to 'tap up' a player when they have more than six months left on their contract? I'm sceptical that this happened, though I'm sure there will come a time this season when it does. If he was going to leave I think it'd be crazy for him to head anywhere outside Ireland with his injury record. I know there are a good few people down in turnipstan that think a deal for Ferris to head south next year is as good as done. I suspect a lot might depend on how Ulster do in the first six months of this year.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Part of constable's job as agent for ferris is to get him as big a deal as possible...

If that involves courting interested parties to bring something back to UR or IRFU to enhance the players position then so be it. If he turns down the chance to discuss a move then he's simply reducing the value of ferris to ulster - ulster through and through, he'd never leave, etc = reduced contract for ferris as there's no need to dangle the big juicy bait to retain him.

Would ferris want to be in the same team as deacon? And why were u in ivory?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Ralgex
Novice

Post by Ralgex »

Folks just sharing what I saw.

Browner - Sorry for the novel...just trying to illustrate the intensity of the discussions. Bath obviously using McGeehan in the same role as we use Humphs to attract players.

VVM - sorry not a troll. Season ticket holder for last 10 years. Regular reader of site who until yesterday had never posted.

I'm under the impression 1F's contract is up at the end of the season. I agree agents have to get best deal for their players and have no issue with this but what surprised and annoyed that such a meeting was held in such a public place.

As other clubs starting sniffing round regardless the length of time to go on 1F's contract UR / IRFU need to be on top of the situation and not be complacent in any way. I do feel success on the pitch though will be key to keeping 1F.

I'm not in to Face Book or Twitter as I don't want to know what the players had for breakfast. I'm sure 1F has mentioned the meeting on his Facebook page........If so then the meeting must have been about something else....

WKOTW - Ivory - didn't rate it......service crap. Much rather go to a few establishments down your way...........