Will we lose muller?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Frosty
Initiate

Will we lose muller?

Post by Mr Frosty »

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 37,00.html?

Overseas duo Johann Muller and BJ Botha have been included in a 49-man World Cup training squad announced by South Africa on Monday.

The names were submitted to the International Rugby Board as part of a requirement of RWC planning. However, the list is not definitive and the final squad can include players from outside the initial group.

Rugby World Cup-winning captain John Smit and vice-captain Victor Matfield were joined by 19 other members of the 2007 squad in coach Peter de Villiers' preliminary group of 49.

"I'm very happy with the squad," said De Villiers.

"We have got a good blend of youth and experience as well as including some uncapped players who have forced their way into contention for selection with their performances in Super Rugby.

"Our planning is at an advanced stage for the international season and the vast majority of these players have attended one or both of our planning camps.

"Our Castle Tri-Nations squad will be drawn from this group once we have been able to sort out those players who are carrying injuries at the end of the Vodacom Super Rugby competition."

Newcomers to a Springbok squad naming in 2011 are Bulls loosehead prop Dean Greyling, Ulster lock Muller and soon-to-be Munster prop BJ Botha.

As well as 21 World Cup winners, the squad includes six uncapped players and four whom are based with European clubs.

The Springbok squad for the Tri-Nations will be named on July 2 or 9 (depending on South African involvement in the Super Rugby final).

Springbok training squad: Willem Alberts, Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Andries Bekker, Bakkies Botha, BJ Botha, Heinrich Brüssow, Schalk Burger, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Dean Greyling, Bryan Habana, Alistair Hargreaves, Francois Hougaard, Adrian Jacobs, Butch James, Elton Jantjies, Enrico Januarie, Ashley Johnson, Ryan Kankowski, Zane Kirchner, Werner Kruger, Patrick Lambie, Francois Louw, Victor Matfield, Tendai Mtawarira, Johann Muller, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Coenie Oosthuizen, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw, John Smit, Juan Smith, Pierre Spies, Gurthro Steenkamp, Deon Stegmann, Frans Steyn, Morne Steyn, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe, Duane Vermeulen.
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
John_e_boy
Squire

Re: Will we lose muller?

Post by John_e_boy »

naaah, just means the big man doesn't get a summer holiday
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

unless he snuck one in already of course!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Much as it would be a disaster for Ulster, the big man obviously will be delighted to be under consideration and is very deserving of it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

He could of course be called up for his coaching & mentoring abilities and may not be in the final squad.

He may also be there to share his recent experience of NH lineout operation.

With Lewis Stevenson coming in and Chewy not getting a sniff we'll be well enough covered if he does go.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Thinking about this it is a good thing, shows other Saffers that you can come to the likes of Ulster and still get picked in these squads
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

It's great news, especially for the reasons Rooster mentioned.

No doubt it will have come as a big surprise for Johann!!!
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

fuggin' bricked it when I read the thread title. :o

I'd hope our standing amongst the Southern Hemisphere lads is good at the moment given the good times BJ, Pienaar, Muller and Wannenburg have had here. well deserved for JM, useful for him both as a player and his future career. I can see him as a Saffer gaffer in years to come.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

You would have to feel sorry for the turnips bringing BJ in to sort their scrum and then possibly losing him for months
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

i'm damned sure that munster would have factored in losing BJ to the world cup in their negotiations. It was always on the cards.

any team that puts in a hooker as a prop is treading water til something they know is much better is available again
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ColinM wrote:He could of course be called up for his coaching & mentoring abilities and may not be in the final squad
Ah that will be it then, passing on his nous to Botha & Matfield, that Bekker guy needs an arm around him too. :wink:

Can you really see mad Pete de V thinking he needs coaching assistance from a player? :scratch:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Might just be De Villiers making a point to Ulster since they didn't release Pienaar to play for the Sharks!!!! Lets see how best we can disrupt those falkers. Oh I know we'll take Johann away from their pre season preparations!!
LTHG
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Baggybrieks, Muller will tell them all he knows about lineouts operated by the Celtic countries and England to a lesser extent. He could help them build their lineout for the world cup whilst not necessarily playing or going to the RWC.

LTHG, if he'd wanted to upset Ulster, he'd have picked Diack. That would really feck us up!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ColinM wrote:Baggybrieks
Don't get upset china, just taking the slash :lol:

By the way the names Baggy or should you wish, feel free to address me as Mr Trousers. Brieks doesn't work, I have neither Scots nor Alster Scats blood.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

This is just a copy and paste

South Africa squad for Tri-Nations away leg

Backs: Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Juan de Jongh, Adrian Jacobs, Elton Jantjies, Patrick Lambie, Charl McLeod, Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, Morne Steyn.

Forwards: Heinrich Brüssow, Jean Deysel, Dean Greyling, Alistair Hargreaves, Ryan Kankowski, Werner Kruger, Ashley Johnson, Johan Muller, Coenie Oosthuizen, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw, John Smit, Deon Stegmann, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe.