Now This Really is a Disgrace

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Now This Really is a Disgrace

Post by ruckover »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
ruckover wrote:
Bart S wrote:Damn - now that Sky are showing it as the main game and the southern journos are saying nice things about Ulster, what are we going to be rightfully indignant about for the next few days?? :scratch:
The fact that we're only on at 3:40pm and not the 'primetime slot' of 6pm. How dare they... :evil:
Ruck, really :roll: , didn't you know plagiarism is criminal ?
Seems I'm annoying you a little tonight Baggy :wink: yes, I do apologize, but like beagle, I saw an opportunity and I took it.

So just to be clear, that was Baggy's comment, everybody.

Can't please everyone can ye... :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Aird wrote:Don't be greedy BR just be thankfully to be able to cheat and get both the broadcast and the red button.
You can't record two programmes on the the one channel you need the two separate feeds one for real and one for the button.
I'm pretty sure that I can (weekend just past) - may have both been off the SD version though.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:... as Leicester is manifestly a rugby town, ...
No it's not, it's a football town.
Football:
Total High Average Cap % of capacity
9 Leicester City (15) 14 329178 27720 23513 32500 72.3%

Rugby:

12 AVIVA Prem' matches played at Welford Road season 10/11
Total Attendance = 252,195
Average Attendance = 21,016
Max Capacity = 24,000 (achieved 4 times)
Ave. % of Capacity 87.5%

BR, Given the minimal difference in average attendance and considering the massive national trend in favour of football over rugby, add in that Tigers have the highest average attendance in England then its a bit of a stretch to deny that Leicester is a rugby town. If not Leicester, then their can be no such thing as a rugby town but that Leicester must come as close as there can be to one.
Vast majority of people I met in Leicester (other than at Welford Road) were football supporters (some even saying - 'I hope you win, I hate the tigers!'). The folks I was talking to on Friday confirmed this. Tigers supporters tend not to live in Leicester, with several travelling many hundreds of miles each matchday. Of course more typically they live in the Leicestershire or neighbouring counties. So perhaps it would be fairer to say 'Leicester is a town with rugby hinterland.'

In my experience - Bath, Gloucester and even Northampton would be more 'rugby towns' (their relative size may be a factor)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
jonnybags
Novice

Post by jonnybags »

Looks like we are off the red button, result!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote: No it's not, it's a football town.
Football:

Rugby:

Ave. % of Capacity 87.5%

BR, Given the minimal difference in average attendance and considering the massive national trend in favour of football over rugby, add in that Tigers have the highest average attendance in England then its a bit of a stretch to deny that Leicester is a rugby town. If not Leicester, then their can be no such thing as a rugby town but that Leicester must come as close as there can be to one.
Vast majority of people I met in Leicester (other than at Welford Road) were football supporters (some even saying - 'I hope you win, I hate the tigers!'). The folks I was talking to on Friday confirmed this. Tigers supporters tend not to live in Leicester, with several travelling many hundreds of miles each matchday. Of course more typically they live in the Leicestershire or neighbouring counties. So perhaps it would be fairer to say 'Leicester is a town with rugby hinterland.'

In my experience - Bath, Gloucester and even Northampton would be more 'rugby towns' (their relative size may be a factor)
Not something I care enough about to "fight" the bit out over it, but it sounds to me like the football fans are a bit like Man City supporters, they don't like being in the shadow of the rugby toffs in the same way as City fans are vile envious creatures choking on their bile as across the city a world revered institution makes hay with regularity. Even the old "none of their supporters actually come from the city" has a familiarly envious sound.

To me the crowd figures are pretty compelling evidence but at the end of the day & the going down of the sun ............. who gives a flying feck? :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jonnybags wrote:Looks like we are off the red button, result!
Anyone with it set to record on Sky+ will need to reset it whenever it gives the various options as sometimes when they change like this it wipes the record request. Has anyone and red button choices yet on Sky for the same time ? Mine has only changed to the Clermont v Ulster match today with no other choice
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Football:

Rugby:

Ave. % of Capacity 87.5%

Not something I care enough about to "fight" the bit out over it, but it sounds to me like the football fans are a bit like Man City supporters, they don't like being in the shadow of the rugby toffs in the same way as City fans are vile envious creatures choking on their bile as across the city a world revered institution makes hay with regularity. Even the old "none of their supporters actually come from the city" has a familiarly envious sound.

To me the crowd figures are pretty compelling evidence but at the end of the day & the going down of the sun ............. who gives a flying feck? :wink:
Yeah Leicester City and Leicester Tigers are both sh*te so who cares?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Now This Really is a Disgrace

Post by shamalicious »

Sky Sports have just tweeted that it'll be the main game, not on red button.

Yippee!
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The city of Leicester has a massive ethnic population (close to 50% I believe), mostly from countries with no tradition of rugby so it is hardly surprising that Tigers draw a lot of support from the rural hinterland.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Always pleasing to note that my voice (printed word) has the ability to influence a corporation, such as Sky is.
A vote for decency.
A strike for justice.
A shot in the arm for all that is good.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dear Welder.
Please can you ask Sky to release Skygo for Android.

Ta ta
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

you wouldnt ask me to wipe your chute clean after curry night, would you?
a man should do his own dirty work.

and i've an iPhone that gets SkyGo just fine
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:you wouldnt ask me to wipe your chute clean after curry night, would you?
I'm sure Apple have an app for that.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

I don't know, or care, what sick and depraved antics you get up to that involve your mobile phone and your exit pipe.
Or who you get to phone you while you're doing such.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I don't own an iPhone