How do we prepare for rounds 5&6?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

How do we prepare for rounds 5&6?

Post by againstthehead »

Given the number of players out injured that was a very good weeks work with 10 points in the bag. Now it's back to the Rabo with the usual difficult xmas period, facing both Leinster and Munster before returning to the HEC for rounds 5 and 6. In the last 2 years, we've sent the ravens down for the away game and focused on winning the home game. This year, there seems to be a slightly longer break between the two games but given our threadbare squad I'd strongly advocate the same policy:

Aironi (h, 20th dec)- rest the likes of Payne and anyone carrying knocks but otherwise go all out for the 5 points on offer.
Leinster (a, 28th dec) - let BBJ et al., enjoy their leftover turkey curries and send the ravens down to Dublin.
Munster (h, 3rd Jan) - time to hopefully reintroduce a couple of guys back from injury... henry, hendo, williams, bowe and maybe best should be more or less back in contention. Unleash hell on Munster and hopefully set the lads up for the HEC double header.

I'm sure many will advocate going 'full-on' for all 5 games but for me, Leinster, Munster, Montepellier and Tigers are 4 incredibly physical sides to play on the bounce. Forfeit one, with the view to winning the other 3.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Leonidas
Novice

Re: How do we prepare for rounds 5&6?

Post by Leonidas »

Unlike last year the games are spaced far enough apart for players to be able to double up.If we need to rest players they should be rested in dribs and drabs. A potential championship winning team shouldnt have to contemplate 'forfeiting' games especially against their top rivals.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

I'm not comfortable with forfeiting any of those matches, particularly Leinster away; just for clarity's sake, who would you rest for each of those matches, presuming no-one else got injured over those 4 matches?
It's the hope that kills you.
Leonidas
Novice

Post by Leonidas »

I think if any game should be specifically targeted for resting players it should be the homer against zebre. Could be a pragmatic decision to start the likes of McKinney and mike Allen with a strong bench to release if needed.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Pienaar rested against Zebre
Jackson rested at Leinster

Both to play versus Munter

Payne to miss both Zebre and Leinster
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:I'm not comfortable with forfeiting any of those matches, particularly Leinster away; just for clarity's sake, who would you rest for each of those matches, presuming no-one else got injured over those 4 matches?
I'd play full strength for each game, except leinster away which would be the ravens plus a few subs and anyone who needs gametime. With a home HEC QF within touching distant it would be suicidal to think we can play 4 such physical in 4 weeks. It's not about 'throwing' games, it's about managing players and getting them to peak at the right time. leinster away, is not a 'must-win game'. No-one 'expects' to win that one. Zebre, Munster and Montpellier and to an extent Tigers are the 'must win' games.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

In Mark and Humph I trust - have done a great job so far :red: :fleg:
Finished
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

If Williams, Hendo, TB, Henry etc are back for Munster and Leinster, integrate them back in starting, and keep a strong bench for support. I'm no advocate of "throwing" games against other provinces, and give those PRL tw*ts any ammo either. So no Ravens and I don't think any need for it this season tbh.
Munster and Leinster balanced HEC with Rabo fixtures in the past and did them no harm, and I'm not sure resting players works particularly for us, unless you're RP, who's basically been playing non-stop. Some of our guys have played relatively little rugby due to injury, so not sure "resting" is particularly meaningful or what they need. Seems more like wrapping them in bubble wrap and being injury averse..

Start Smallp and Annett against Zebre, along with M. Allen, who hardly weakens the side, and keeps him ticking over. Gilroy needs gametime too. Start DF against either Munster or Leinster so no weakening of the scrum. Main issue is lack of locks imo.

Get the returnees in as quick as possible. As we proved at Sarries last season, guys need a couple of games to get back to full speed. Zebre for squad rotation, then get on with it with strong squad depth used correctly over the 4 big weeks( :shock: :lol:). Rest after HEC games over. Pells might be an easier game than we think....

But, ultimately, UR knows the condition and mental state of our palyers better than we do, and yes, in MA we trust :red:
Exterminate all rational thought
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Actually, despite going down to the Mexican game and hating to see a fiasco, this is amongst Against less stupid posts of late.

We are wafer thin yet again due to injuries, it would be insane to flog thise who currently remain standing. Equally as important as the 10 points against Treviso is the apparent clean bill of health.

Where I absolutely disagree with Against is the Zebre game, if we can't do them with a mixed side then I'm a monkey's uncle. Anyone dodgy rest them this week.

Today's result in Montpellier could also be significant either way if the home team win we could possibly go to Welford Road with the group decided & just seeding to play for. If Leicester win as the Montpellier selection suggests, there is the possibility of playing at less than full throttle against the French at Ravenhill could be possible, risky though that could be.

In conclusion, as always there are variables, who will be coming back from injury & when plays a part, results elsewhere possibly as well. I suspect we will go with the usual Christmas strategy but things will change week to week, hopefully not through further injuries.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Sounds right Baggy:

Zebre - rest anyone who has knocks
Leinster - send down the Ravens
Munster - full strength ahead of HC
Montpellier and Leicester - full strength (obviously)
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Incidentally, just thought you may like to know that unless we lose both games without a bonus point we are guaranteed a runners up spot.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Incidentally, just thought you may like to know that unless we lose both games without a bonus point we are guaranteed a runners up spot.
I've had a look at the groups, and I reckon if we get one more 4 pt win, we are guaranteed a best runners up q/f spot.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Incidentally, just thought you may like to know that unless we lose both games without a bonus point we are guaranteed a runners up spot.

Honestly that's great and everything, but I want a home QF and to push that arrogant shower of Kitty Litter off their little throne since they are so convinced that any Rabo team is beneath their notice. Lets keep up the winning ways a show them what we have done with all the money we have "stolen" from the HEC and it's rightful masters the English. Feck me 5 minutes on their site and I want to go grab a pitchfork and a flaming torch!

So a "rotation" of the squad may be necessary for Zebre, but after that full team only!
Dura lex sed lex
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Do we not need to fight for all league points possible? We are only 4th in the table plus who knows what the criteria for European competition will be next season. I wouldn't be happy with sending a Ravens team down to Dublin at all. Rotate by all means but no to the extent of previous years. Wholesale changes can be made against Zebre if at all.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thelaw wrote:

Honestly that's great and everything, but I want a home QF and to push that arrogant shower of Kitty Litter off their little throne since they are so convinced that any Rabo team is beneath their notice. Lets keep up the winning ways a show them what we have done with all the money we have "stolen" from the HEC and it's rightful masters the English. Feck me 5 minutes on their site and I want to go grab a pitchfork and a flaming torch!

So a "rotation" of the squad may be necessary for Zebre, but after that full team only!
Of course Lawman, just presenting a bit of information, that's not the height of my ambitions.

Incidentally I posted on their site last night, chastising the PRL bullshit & looking forward to beating them on their own lawn. >EW