Schools Cup 2014

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Setanta »

Ed Zachary +1 Aegis in Aeternae
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

Good positive game of rugby. Methody clearly saved the A game until the final. Sullivan played well but some players didn't look to be able to handle the pressure. It just looked like another game to MCB.
I thought Sullivan looked too over hyped before the game. Coming out and waiting for MCB on the halfway line was a bit silly. What made it worse was they wasted so much mental energy standing getting so worked up waiting on MCB to come out some 3mins later.
Sullivan lacked direcrion as the game went on. They kept passing it inside to run into the MCB forwards who just choke tackled them and won the turnover.
Hopefully SUllivan can look back on the day and the experience with fond memories. After all surely it was worth it to be given a week of school by the the headmaster to prepare for the game.
Lagan, Bingham and McKee showed great experience out on the pitch and it looked like any other day. Composure shone through.
Great atmosphere at the game by both supporters, mostly sullivans, and by Ravenhill with the music and big screens on.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I'm a "parent" but I'm still inclined to root for the country schools.Seem to remember Belfast v Country representative games as a provincial selection tool when I were a lad.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:I'm a "parent" but I'm still inclined to root for the country schools.Seem to remember Belfast v Country representative games as a provincial selection tool when I were a lad.
You get a country school in the final and the entire town goes !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

breakdown wrote:
Wouldn't say they are weak but certainly not as good as previous years, don't forget they have Nicky and Davy Wells who IMO are the best coaches out of any school by quite a stretch, they will have a big factor in things, but will have their work cut out admittedly
The Wells duo are not the only great school coaches to have left their mark on ulster rugby.
Lets not forget the likes of 'Big Bob' Mitchell & David Young at Campbell. Tactically they were way ahead of their time & enjoyed prolonged success over a 20+ year period. They also helped develop arguably the most complete footballer ever to play for Ireland.
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

lw7 wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Wouldn't say they are weak but certainly not as good as previous years, don't forget they have Nicky and Davy Wells who IMO are the best coaches out of any school by quite a stretch, they will have a big factor in things, but will have their work cut out admittedly
The Wells duo are not the only great school coaches to have left their mark on ulster rugby.
Lets not forget the likes of 'Big Bob' Mitchell & David Young at Campbell. Tactically they were way ahead of their time & enjoyed prolonged success over a 20+ year period. They also helped develop arguably the most complete footballer ever to play for Ireland.
Even more complete than BOD?
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Look like only two ulster u18 schools players in the Ireland u18 schools squad, squad yet to officially announced.

Jacob Stockdale(Wallace/Centre/Fullback)
Conor McIlmurray(Campbell/Prop)
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Moiraman wrote:
lw7 wrote:
breakdown wrote:
Even more complete than BOD?
well, if he's referring to Cameron Michael Henderson Gibson, YES.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think it's a bit of nonsense to compare Mike Gibson with BOD. They were both the best of their time, but their times were so different. Even comparing BOD to Sella is a bit dodgy.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Snipe Watson wrote:I think it's a bit of nonsense to compare Mike Gibson with BOD. They were both the best of their time, but their times were so different. Even comparing BOD to Sella is a bit dodgy.
Yes very different players.
CMHG (God) could happily play anywhere 10 - 15. His Irish debut was like the rest of his career - brilliant.
Shame he played in weak irish teams & wasnt a better goal kicker.

Whisper it quietly.. Over the last decade the less celebrated Snakey Smith has been right up there with BOD :stir:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Snipe Watson wrote:I think it's a bit of nonsense to compare Mike Gibson with BOD. They were both the best of their time, but their times were so different. Even comparing BOD to Sella is a bit dodgy.

It is indeed a nonsense. BOD is in quite a different league from CMH Gibson. :red: :fleg: :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: