All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Post by Rooster »

Rugby World Cup: All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 event to be unveiled

An All-Ireland bid to stage the 2023 Rugby World Cup will be officially unveiled in Armagh on Friday.

Officials from the Irish Rugby Football Union will join representatives from the Northern Ireland Executive and Irish Government to outline their plans to jointly host the tournament.

Both administrations have been engaged in a preliminary assessment exercise over the last 10 months.

The aim was to weigh up the feasibility of submitting an official bid.

In February, former Irish international Hugo MacNeill was asked to chair the cross-border working group examining the issue of hosting the sport's showpiece event.

As well as the traditional rugby stadiums such as the Aviva in Dublin, the Kingspan at Ravenhill in Belfast and Thomond Park in Limerick, a 2023 World Cup in Ireland would also hope to utilise a number of impressive Gaelic football venues, including the 82,300 capacity Croke Park in Dublin.

The Irish rugby team played their home matches in Croke Park between 2007 and 2010 while the Aviva Stadium was being built on the site of the old Lansdowne Road.

Next year's Rugby World Cup will be hosted by England, with Japan hosting the event in 2019.

Cross border bids to hold sporting events are not unheard of in Ireland and earlier this year cycling's Giro d'Italia held stages on both sides of the border.

In May, current Irish coach Joe Schmidt said an all-Ireland Rugby World Cup could replicate the success of his native New Zealand in its staging of the 2011 tournament.

"You have got the same population and the same kind of energy around sporting occasions and I think you have got the stadia," he said.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Post by damianmcr »

Will it be on TV?

Who else is competing? Fingers crossed.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Armagh!
Available for weddings May to August only
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

TheSnapper wrote:Armagh!
Centre of the universe Snapper :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Wonder will Peter Robinson ask the IRFU any awkward questions at the meeting?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The local residents committee at Ravenhill will be loving this. A game every other day for two months.

Besides Cork, Limerick, Belfast and Dublin is there anywhere else that has the transport links, accommodation and stadia to be a World Cup venue?

Is hosting two games in Dublin on a Fri, Sat and Sun feasible.... accommodation would be a nightmare. Belfast certainly wouldn't cope.

My heart says yes my head says :roll:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

UlsterNo9 wrote:The local residents committee at Ravenhill will be loving this. A game every other day for two months.

Besides Cork, Limerick, Belfast and Dublin is there anywhere else that has the transport links, accommodation and stadia to be a World Cup venue?

Is hosting two games in Dublin on a Fri, Sat and Sun feasible.... accommodation would be a nightmare. Belfast certainly wouldn't cope.

My heart says yes my head says :roll:
World Cup England , has 13 Stadiums, 11 of those have above 30k capacity with 6 stadium above 50k, with 3 stadiums above 70k, the target for the forthcoming World Cup is ticket sales( exceeding the last WC ) is 2million, so ideally 9 years from now Ireland would want to exceed that, would we have 13 stadiums+ with that capacity. Not going to happen, but a nice damp thought ,

We would need at least 40 world class training facilities for the team bases, maybe a cynical ambitious plan by IRFU to get funding to upgrade club facilities,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Listen

This is horlix

If anyone addresses anyone question to anyone

Send it to me

Everyone involved is a fecktard
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

It would be feasible as a Celtic World Cup with Ireland as the lead partner. Can't wait ! Well actually I can....
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

namron wrote:It would be feasible as a Celtic World Cup with Ireland as the lead partner. Can't wait ! Well actually I can....
Feck the Welsh! Sell their vote/soul to any northern hemisphere country offering them homes games in Caaaadiff!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

namron wrote:It would be feasible as a Celtic World Cup with Ireland as the lead partner. Can't wait ! Well actually I can....
Feck the Welsh! Sell their vote/soul to any northern hemisphere country offering them home group games in Caaaadiff!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

You know the Welsh vote is meaningless

It did mean something

But ARU
NZRU
SARU
SRU
IRFU
RFU

all back the Irish vote. It's sewn up ( when we pay wm euroes to saru)
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Who said anything about the Welsh? I'm talking about the Celtic countries ie Ireland Scotland and Britanny not the West English!
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Some think the Welsh vote decides the NH.
Next round it doesn't as no RFU likes them
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Some think the Welsh vote decides the NH.
Next round it doesn't as no RFU likes them
The Welsh don't even like themselves :lol: >crazy1
Rory Best